PDA

View Full Version : Mundane Enhancements

Ruethgar
2020-10-12, 06:36 PM
I was wondering what mundane enhancements, if any, there were for non-combat gear. I've found a fair few for armor and weapons, but little else outside of the masterwork instruments and tools. An example would be something like Ornate but for clothes for a pitiful situational +2 Dip/Intim. I recall there being a shadow weave for a little better stealth. Of course pockets in dresses are always helpful, thank you Complete Scoundrel.

If there were an even remotely official(Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Dungeon or Dragon Mag) way to count clothes "armor" that would be great. I realize the easiest way to do this is Bracers of Armor A&EG sidebar, but I wanted mundane if able. Sure I could Create Device(Wondrous) for them, but that's a bit cheesy.

Anthrowhale
2020-10-12, 09:12 PM
Various special materials can have an impact on mundane items. For example, you could have a mithril pot that is half-weight.

I believe there were some rules for making a cape out of dragonskin to get resist 5 vs. an appropriate elemental damage source in draconomicon.

One Step Two
2020-10-12, 09:22 PM
Though 3rd Party, the officially licensed Dragonlance sourcebook: War of the Lance introduces a class called: The Master, a 12th level Master Craftsman can create an Item of Legend, which is capable of granting an entirely non-magical, +10 untyped Circumstance bonus to a skill.

Edit: I misremembered and checked my books, the ruling for Items of Distinction/Renown/Fame/Glory/Legend is that they are more effective versions of Masterwork items. (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#toolMasterwork) Therefore, a Circumstance bonus.

Ruethgar
2020-10-12, 11:19 PM
About as sparse as I figured. I was aware of Legendary items, Legendary Elvencraft Bow Bladed Neck Bladed Lutebows are expensive af but quadruple wand chamber wielding and +5 bardic music levels is nice.

redking
2020-10-12, 11:57 PM
Looking through the SRD, I see that cloth isn't available as armor, and padded armor (light) may be the closest thing to what you are looking for. As One Step Two says upthread, the Master base class can add circumstances bonuses to armor.

Another option is gnomish twist cloth, which is +0 AC light armor from Races of Stone.

Another option is taking your clothes and applying this magic vestment enchantment to it.

Magic Vestment
Transmutation
Level: Clr 3, Strength 3, War 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Armor or shield touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

You imbue a suit of armor or a shield with an enhancement bonus of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5 at 20th level).

An outfit of regular clothing counts as armor that grants no AC bonus for the purpose of this spell.

Although not 100% mundane, what you probably want is an eternal wand of magic vestment at 20 CL.

One Step Two
2020-10-13, 12:36 AM
If you can find a copy of the Crystal Keep Index of Equipment pdf (Google will help) it lists a bunch of other useful items and their sources.

As for Armor specifically, barring the Twist cloth mentioned by redking, there are 2 others:
Thistledown Suit from Races of the Wild. It's specifically called out as a replacement for Padded Armor, and needing a Craft (tailor) check to create.
Silk Swathes from Sandstorm, basically Padded armor without the penalties for wearing armor in the desert, but it's nice looking silk!

Mundane cloths would include the two from Eberron:
Darkweave: +1 Circumstance to Hide checks
Glamerweave: +1 Circumstance to Diplomacy Checks
And one from Races of stone:
Earthsilk, can be used to make tougher silk rope, or a jersey which gives DR 1/Slashing or Bludgeoning

the_tick_rules
2020-10-13, 12:37 AM
there are a bunch of crafting templates in the dmg II and dragon magazine 358. they are probably the most functional of non-magical stuff i can think of, especially dragon 358. That's where the ornate is from but there are other stuff like razor sharp which gives any slashing (maybe piercing) +1 damage or the reinforced and segmented templates which give any armor +1 armor and +1 dex bonus.

Ruethgar
2020-10-13, 02:00 AM
I suppose one could fluff a twist cloth to clothing for builds that don’t prohibit it. Add the mage armor quality and reinforced to nix the arcane spell failure and make it a +2 AC. No ACP so non-proficiency doesn’t matter.

Edit: Would Darkweave technically stack with others since it’s just shadow woven in, not a new cloth? Darkweave Earthsilk for example.

One Step Two
2020-10-13, 05:15 PM
I suppose one could fluff a twist cloth to clothing for builds that don’t prohibit it. Add the mage armor quality and reinforced to nix the arcane spell failure and make it a +2 AC. No ACP so non-proficiency doesn’t matter.

Edit: Would Darkweave technically stack with others since it’s just shadow woven in, not a new cloth? Darkweave Earthsilk for example.

That is pretty much DM territory, though I would allow it. If a character made Silk swathe armor with Darkweave(Darkwoven?) Earthsilk, sure. Essentially it's a mundane Padded armor with DR 1/Bludgeoning and Slashing, and a +1 Bonus to stealth check. Not game breaking by any stretch of the imagination, though a little expensive perhaps. But if I recall correctly, I think the Earthsilk Jersey is called out as something you can wear under normal armor to boot.

ShurikVch
2020-10-13, 06:15 PM
Other "silks": Silk Armor (Dragon #298), Spidersilk (Underdark), Twisted Silk (Dragon #348)

Dragon #340 have "Making an Entrance" article: for wearing specific clothes, accessories, etc, your PC got "style points"; every 10 "style points" give +1 on Cha checks on wealthy and elite people for 1 day

Dragon ## 327, 329, and 331 have "Tokens of Faith" articles: bonuses which Tokens grant are minor, but explicitly non-magical

Note about Inventions (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24743368&postcount=4) from "Pulp Heroes"

ben-zayb
2020-10-13, 06:57 PM
IIRC living items from CSc are nonmagical. Rust Monster Wand is probably the most popular of the bunch.

As detailed in CAdv, masterwork musical instruments provide different perks to select Bardic Music abilities, such as increased bonus, increased DC, or additional target.

Ruethgar
2020-10-14, 09:34 AM
Other "silks": Silk Armor (Dragon #298), Spidersilk (Underdark), Twisted Silk (Dragon #348)

Dragon #340 have "Making an Entrance" article: for wearing specific clothes, accessories, etc, your PC got "style points"; every 10 "style points" give +1 on Cha checks on wealthy and elite people for 1 day

Dragon ## 327, 329, and 331 have "Tokens of Faith" articles: bonuses which Tokens grant are minor, but explicitly non-magical

Note about Inventions (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24743368&postcount=4) from "Pulp Heroes"

Awesome! I knew there had to be at least something. Will have to look these up when I get home. The inventions thing is interesting, I think I have it in my archives, and here I thought Ravenloft was the only source of sort-of-official mundane outright magic.

Technically, if you can get mundane equipment high enough cost(DMG has a gold and ruby ring at 7k iirc) you can cheese your way into a set bonus. Sure, it’ll probably only ever amount to some skill boosts, but nice all the same and technically doesn’t have to be magical from what I recall. Need to double check though.

Morty_Jhones
2020-10-16, 03:58 PM
personaly I see no reasion why you cant put armour enchantment on MW quality cloathing, shure it will cost alot but usfull in a pinch.
the arms and equimpen guide (p30-32) will help there with recomended starter prices for nice cloathing.

as for normal gear,

an Elven Darkweave/leafweave camping set may be a bit pricy (tent, Bedroll, winter blanket, Cooking spit) at 250gp over the normal but since it only weighs 5lb rather than 25 its a bargin in the long term, all that extra loot to drag home.

YellowJohn
2020-10-16, 04:21 PM
Speaking of the Arms and Equipment guide, there is a wealth of non-magical stuff in there which can boost your skills and abilities. Two of my favorites are the Gnome Crossbow Sight ( and Silent Shoes.

Shadow Weave and Glamor Weave are from Eberron Campeign Setting p.122, and grant +1 to Hide Checks in the dark and +1 to Diplomacy respectively. There is a superior version of Glamorweave in another Eberron book for +2

Also in ECS is a metal called Tangarth, a small charm of which gives a bonus on saves vs disease

There are plenty of ways to make mundane objects weigh half as much; Darkwood and Mithril are the most famous.