PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the Monster Hunter Fighter UA?

cutlery
2020-10-13, 12:14 PM
Setting aside the monster slayer ranger for the moment; what, if anything, is wrong with the MH fighter? For reference: http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/fighter:monster-hunter

I've not had the pleasure of playing one, but I have played a battlemaster for a few sessions at low levels and liked that well enough. I suppose it was retrofit into the monster slayer primarily to provide some ranger love. Assume there will be plenty of undead around.

I generally like the idea of a character that toughs their way through the horrors they fight, so fighter chassis sounds cool for this sort of concept.

What, if anything, would you change in the Monster Hunter fighter archetype so it feels as fun through tier 3 and 4 as it does when you first get those superiority die? It doesn't get much more in late levels than the battlemaster does (though it does not learn any additional ways to use sup die like the BM does; whether or not one thinks the BM gets all their best picks at the beginning). Is the ability to use two sup die on aberration/fey/fiends/undead and max damage enough of a feature? The level 10+ features seem a little light, especially when compared to the Samurai (or the eldritch knight). Are superiority die so strong there can't really be anything else in the later tiers?

Like battlemaster, after level 11 I expect I would get a wandering eye as far as other classes were concerned; there are only so many problems athletics and investigation can solve, right?

Amnestic
2020-10-13, 12:27 PM
What, if anything, would you change in the Monster Hunter fighter archetype so it feels as fun through tier 3 and 4 as it does when you first get those superiority die? It doesn't get much more in late levels than the battlemaster does (though it does not learn any additional ways to use sup die like the BM does; whether or not one thinks the BM gets all their best picks at the beginning).

It, like the battlemaster, needs maneuvers that are only available after reaching certain levels, though arguably MH fighter is worse for this because of how frontloaded it is - two skills, the four maneuvers they can use, and your (limited) spellcasting makes 3rd a great jumping off point since you've basically got the lion's share of what the subclass offers you.

At least their level 7 ability isn't as bad as the battlemaster's though.

DarknessEternal
2020-10-13, 04:59 PM
It's functionally just better than Battle Master.

Dienekes
2020-10-13, 05:11 PM
It, like the battlemaster, needs maneuvers that are only available after reaching certain levels, though arguably MH fighter is worse for this because of how frontloaded it is - two skills, the four maneuvers they can use, and your (limited) spellcasting makes 3rd a great jumping off point since you've basically got the lion's share of what the subclass offers you.

At least their level 7 ability isn't as bad as the battlemaster's though.

I'll defend Level 7 battlemaster's ability a little. Now don't get me wrong the ability is poorly designed. But (assuming your GM has everything planned out appropriately which is a big ask) it's essentially a free reign to look compare your HP to the HP of anyone you can come in contact with, with absolutely no limitations based on illusions or anything. Trying to find who's the spy? Probably the farmer over there who can take a hit from a dragon. Wanna know who the villain is in the throne room? It's the one mage in the back that you talked to once. Is that old granny a hag? Unless granny been pumping iron 24/7 while downing protein she is.

But I've only seen one person ever actually use the ability like this.