PDA

View Full Version : Ranged attacks with thrown weapons and free hands.

ThorOdinson
2020-10-13, 06:42 PM
An interesting rules puzzle has presented itself and I wanted to get the pespectives of the resident rules gurus.

I have a shield in one hand and a trident in another.

I make a ranged attack, throwing my weapon, against an opponent 30 feet away and the attack roll hits. Damage rolls have not been made.

The opponent casts Shield in reaction to my successful hit and I attempt to react with Counterspell. I do not have the Warcaster feat so I absolutely require a free hand to cast Counterspell.

What is the complete picture of the game state at this juncture? Where is the trident located? Is my hand free for Somatic components?

Can you provide rules support for your answer?

Thanks in advance!

JNAProductions
2020-10-13, 07:07 PM
An interesting rules puzzle has presented itself and I wanted to get the pespectives of the resident rules gurus.

I have a shield in one hand and a trident in another.

I make a ranged attack, throwing my weapon, against an opponent 30 feet away and the attack roll hits. Damage rolls have not been made.

The opponent casts Shield in reaction to my successful hit and I attempt to react with Counterspell. I do not have the Warcaster feat so I absolutely require a free hand to cast Counterspell.

What is the complete picture of the game state at this juncture? Where is the trident located? Is my hand free for Somatic components?

Can you provide rules support for your answer?

Thanks in advance!

For reference, this is a continuing argument from here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?620007-Quick-questions-javelins-with-dueling-style-and-natural-weapon-proficiency).

Zhorn
2020-10-13, 07:19 PM
For those looking to jump in, as JNAProductions has linked to, this is an active and ongoing discussion that has occupied several pages of the aforementioned thread for the past few days.
Better to keep the discussion in one place rather than attempt to split it across multiple threads.

ThorOdinson
2020-10-13, 07:58 PM
For those looking to jump in, as JNAProductions has linked to, this is an active and ongoing discussion that has occupied several pages of the aforementioned thread for the past few days.
Better to keep the discussion in one place rather than attempt to split it across multiple threads.

That thread is discussing the Dueling fighting style.

This rules puzzle can be separably proposed and directly discussed and solved completely in isolation from that other thread. The puzzle I propose has nothing to do with the Dueling fighting style.

So rule gurus, what are your opinions on this rules issue?

truemane
2020-10-14, 06:54 AM
Metamagic Mod: closed for review