PDA

View Full Version : Intellect Devourers are terrifying!

nickl_2000
2020-10-14, 08:18 AM
Ran into two intellect devourers last night in the middle of a mob, let me tell you they are absolutely terrifying when you have a PC who has an intelligence of 9 (and sticks at Int saves). My level 5 Paladin nearly bit it last night other than a lucky roll to prevent being made Int 0 (or the DM flubbing the roll, could go either way with 3d6 vs a 9 int).

One round after that, he provoked multiple attacks of opportunity to get to one of them and burned a level 2 smite to make sure that thing was dead and gone forever, then stayed out of sight of the other one.

Unoriginal
2020-10-14, 08:23 AM
Ran into two intellect devourers last night in the middle of a mob, let me tell you they are absolutely terrifying when you have a PC who has an intelligence of 9 (and sticks at Int saves). My level 5 Paladin nearly bit it last night other than a lucky roll to prevent being made Int 0 (or the DM flubbing the roll, could go either way with 3d6 vs a 9 int).

One round after that, he provoked multiple attacks of opportunity to get to one of them and burned a level 2 smite to make sure that thing was dead and gone forever, then stayed out of sight of the other one.

Indeed.

Then again since you dispatched it very quickly once it was identified as a threat it's more "Intellect Devourers getting the drop on you is terrifying." Among the most fearsome ambush monsters of this edition.

nickl_2000
2020-10-14, 08:29 AM
Indeed.

Then again since you dispatched it very quickly once it was identified as a threat it's more "Intellect Devourers getting the drop on you is terrifying." Among the most fearsome ambush monsters of this edition.

I won't argue that, but that is certainly the closest that this group had every gotten to a TPK because I'm pretty sure if my Paladin went down the rest of the group would have followed pretty quickly, unless they decided to run for their lives.

Willie the Duck
2020-10-14, 08:38 AM
I won't argue that, but that is certainly the closest that this group had every gotten to a TPK because I'm pretty sure if my Paladin went down the rest of the group would have followed pretty quickly, unless they decided to run for their lives.

Why?
I'm not arguing that IDs aren't scary, particularly given their CR, but it seems that once they've been identified, they are AC 12, 21 HP glass cannons. A group of L5s should have been able to take them out with or without the paladin.

nickl_2000
2020-10-14, 08:44 AM
Why?
I'm not arguing that IDs aren't scary, particularly given their CR, but it seems that once they've been identified, they are AC 12, 21 HP glass cannons. A group of L5s should have been able to take them out with or without the paladin.

Because there were also about 15 goblins and 2 bugbears around that would plink them to death without the high AC tank around. Our group definitely has a lack AoE spells until we level again.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-10-14, 09:02 AM
Why?

Not to mention, if the ID takes over the paladin with Body Thief, the paladin switches sides and becomes one of the enemy. The more important the paladin was to the group, the worse that kind of blow will be.

Segev
2020-10-14, 10:05 AM
I forget: do intellect devourers using body thief get class features of the host?

Unoriginal
2020-10-14, 11:45 AM
I forget: do intellect devourers using body thief get class features of the host?

In principle, yes. However one of the modules has a villain who is an Intellect Devourer in the skull of an adventurer, and it lost the attunement with the adventurer's sapient magic item and the item won't let it re-attune due to not accepting the evil being.

While the Devourer apparently has all the host's knowledge and bodily capacities while in the skull, which would make them able to use most of the powers of a Wizard, Sorcerer, Fighter, etc, it's arguable if it'd work on powers that works because the person has a god or spirits granting them, has made an Oath and is getting magic for upholding it, or if it's linked to a supernatural Pact the person made.