PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Monster from a Dream

jqavins
2020-10-14, 12:07 PM
I've been away for a while (spending my time on a different forum) but I just had to post this one. I literally dreamed up this monster last night, and more or less put it in game terms when I woke up.

Biting Lynx (I'm open to better suggestions)
In the dream I saw a large cat, about the size of a bobcat, but bigger around in the torso. Picture an obese bobcat, though the size is normal and healthy for this creature. The other physical difference is its larger, longer jaws, intermediate between a real cat and a dog. The larger jaws make biting its primary attack.

What truly differentiates it are two unique abilities. In the dream it kept striking with its bite at many moments, far faster and more numerous than one would expect. Also as I fought it with a (absurd looking) hammer, blows that should have killed is kept bouncing off its head.

Lightning Attack (sp) The Biting Lynx has both the Combat Reflexes and Improved Initiative feats. In addition, it gains an attack of opportunity against any creature entering its reach even if passing through (which would normally not grant an attack). The Withdraw action does not deny the Biting Lynx its attack of opportunity. Even looking briefly away can provoke an attack of opportunity; any creature engaged in melee with a Biting Lynx must make a Concentration check each round or risk this extra attack.

Hard to Kill (su) One time after each occasion of healing (natural or magical) when an attack would reduce the biting lynx’s hit points to zero (or lower) it will instead be reduced to one hit point. Thereafter, any successful attack has only a 25% chance of removing that last hit point.

The stat block is the same as a bobcat’s (from dungeons.fandom.com, because that was the first one I found) with these exceptions:

Hit dice: 2d8 (9 hp)
Initiative: +6
Attack: Bite (1d8-1)
Full attack: Bite (1d8-1); 2 Claws (1d3-1)
Abilities: Str 8
Feats: As lynx plus Combat Reflexes and Improved Initiative
CR: ½