PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the dark - Shadow Sorc question

Mandarin
2020-10-14, 04:11 PM
I know this is a stupid question but it might be worth asking!

Eyes of the Dark

From 1st level, you have darkvision with a range of 120 feet.

When you reach 3rd level in this class, you learn the Darkness spell, which doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition, you can cast it by spending 2 sorcery points or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points, you can see through the darkness created by the spell.

So can I expend a level 1 spell slot and cast darkness or does it have to be a level 2 spell slot?

RogueJK
2020-10-14, 04:26 PM
It must be a Level 2+ spell slot, because Darkness is a Level 2 spell.

See https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/12/06/is-the-intent-of-the-shadow-sorcerer-to-be-able-to-cast-darkness-by-expending-any-spell-slot/amp/

Unoriginal
2020-10-14, 04:27 PM
I know this is a stupid question but it might be worth asking!

Eyes of the Dark

From 1st level, you have darkvision with a range of 120 feet.

When you reach 3rd level in this class, you learn the Darkness spell, which doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition, you can cast it by spending 2 sorcery points or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points, you can see through the darkness created by the spell.

So can I expend a level 1 spell slot and cast darkness or does it have to be a level 2 spell slot?

You can use either 2 sorcery point, a lvl 2 spell slot, or an higher level spell slot.