PDA

View Full Version : Artillerist Artificer's hand economy and attacks

Morrison
2020-10-15, 11:54 AM
I'm soon to be playing an Artillerist Artificer (Winged Tiefling race) in a campaign and I'm really not clear on what my main attack is supposed to be. I see a lot of people saying it's best to get a hand crossbow and shield and then pile infusions (and probably the Arcane Weapon spell) on them, but wouldn't that mean I couldn't cast any spells (or get any use out of my Arcane Firearm class feature), since I'm not holding my spellcasting focus?
I don't seem to have access to any especially cool combat cantrips, so even with the boost from Arcane Firearm my damage would be pretty weak if I focused on that, plus I'd miss out on cool utility cantrips.
Is my best option to go crossbow in one hand (with Repeating Weapon infusion so I don't need to reload) and spellcasting focus in the other? Is there a way to get a crossbow counted as a spellcasting focus?

MaxWilson
2020-10-15, 12:04 PM
I'm soon to be playing an Artillerist Artificer (Winged Tiefling race) in a campaign and I'm really not clear on what my main attack is supposed to be. I see a lot of people saying it's best to get a hand crossbow and shield and then pile infusions (and probably the Arcane Weapon spell) on them, but wouldn't that mean I couldn't cast any spells (or get any use out of my Arcane Firearm class feature), since I'm not holding my spellcasting focus?
I don't seem to have access to any especially cool combat cantrips, so even with the boost from Arcane Firearm my damage would be pretty weak if I focused on that, plus I'd miss out on cool utility cantrips.
Is my best option to go crossbow in one hand (with Repeating Weapon infusion so I don't need to reload) and spellcasting focus in the other? Is there a way to get a crossbow counted as a spellcasting focus?

AFB but I'm 90%+ sure that Artificers can use any of their infused items as a spellcasting focus, so if you've got a Repeating Crossbow you're already good.

However, at levels 3-5ish another option you've got is to just create a flamethrower and spew 2d8 AoEs with your bonus action from a flamethrower in your right hand, while casting cantrips or shooting crossbow bolts with your left hand (or Dodging, if monsters are tough). How good this is depends on how tough the fights are--in tough adventures fights it's better to use a Protector turret than a Flamethrower, but if your DM runs adventures that you're going to win anyway, might as well spew flames. :)

Morrison
2020-10-15, 12:13 PM
AFB but I'm 90%+ sure that Artificers can use any of their infused items as a spellcasting focus, so if you've got a Repeating Crossbow you're already good.

I see it now, you're right. Kind of unclear on whether my Arcane Firearm's +1d8 damage would apply though. I'll ask my DM.

We're starting at Level 9, so I was planning on giving my turrets legs and just letting them run around with me and shoot on my bonus round.

jojosskul
2020-10-15, 12:23 PM
I see it now, you're right. Kind of unclear on whether my Arcane Firearm's +1d8 damage would apply though. I'll ask my DM.

We're starting at Level 9, so I was planning on giving my turrets legs and just letting them run around with me and shoot on my bonus round.

Your arcane firearm has to be a modified wand, staff, or rod. However, unlike with your infusions, it CAN be magical. So you could pop enhanced arcane focus on there, make it your arcane firearm, and you're off to the races. Keep in mind that the arcane firearm increases the damage by a d8 of ALL of your spells, including AOE like Shatter and Fireball. This with the increased cantrip damage makes me personally favor shield and arcane firearm over shield and crossbow. If you were a battlesmith that would be an entirely different story.

The limited cantrips on Artificer feels harsh, but keep in mind you are a half caster, and the other half casters get NO cantrips at all. Also, your magical tinkering level one ability works pretty darn well as a cantrip substitute. It does a lot of the best parts of prestidigitation and minor illusion, makes a decent light replacement, and has a lot of unique effects aside.

If you want to go Artillerest, I'd load up on the offensive cantrips. You'll never get multiattack anyway. At level 9 your hand crossbow, with a 16 dex, will deal 1d6+3. Average of 6.5. A firebolt from your arcane firearm will deal 2d10+1d8, average damage of 15.5.

Torpin
2020-10-16, 05:17 PM
since we are on the topic, if you got hex through magic init or a level of warlock, that wouldnt apply to the artillery would it

MaxWilson
2020-10-16, 05:22 PM
since we are on the topic, if you got hex through magic init or a level of warlock, that wouldnt apply to the artillery would it

Correct, it would not apply to Hex because it's not an artificer spell. (Same with Magic Missile.)

A more vexing question is whether Hexblade's Curse applies to Hex. RAW it perhaps should, but I don't know any DM who would run it that way.

Related question: if you're hit by an attack for 13 slashing damage plus 30 poison damage (save for half), and you make your save against the poison and take 13 + 15 HP of damage--should you make one concentration save at DC 14, or two at DC 10?

But you're not asking those questions so I've spoilered them.

Hellpyre
2020-10-16, 06:56 PM
Related question: if you're hit by an attack for 13 slashing damage plus 30 poison damage (save for half), and you make your save against the poison and take 13 + 15 HP of damage--should you make one concentration save at DC 14, or two at DC 10?

You should only be making one save in that scenario. You are taking a single instance of damage, just one that happens to be composed to multiple damage types. If the poison took place at any point that wasn't cotemporaneous you would need two different saves, but as a simple rider effect it no more requires another save than Booming Blade requires two saves on the initial [weapon hit]+[cantrip damage], even though the secondary damage requires its own save.

Naanomi
2020-10-16, 06:59 PM
You can always be a warforged and get an installed spell focus to not use a hand