PDA

View Full Version : Way of the Thousand Fists [PEACH]

Amechra
2020-10-15, 01:23 PM
Basically, I've been getting into Hokuto no Ken, and I want a Monk subclass that can ATATATATATATATA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UmEch1eRXo&ab_channel=KenshiroAtatata).

Way of the Thousand Fists

3 :- Hands Like Swallows
You gain proficiency with the Sleight of Hand skill - if you already have that proficiency, you gain proficiency with another skill instead. You may perform Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks in place of an unarmed strike as long as both of your hands are free.

3 :- Flesh-Breaking Fists
Your unarmed strikes score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Whenever you score a critical hit with an unarmed strike, you can roll one of your Martial Arts dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

6 :- Too Fast To See
Creatures may not use reactions in response to your unarmed attacks unless your attack roll fails to beat their passive perception. Whenever you make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, you may spend 2 ki to briefly redirect their attention, allowing you to roll against their passive perception even if they are watching you.

11 :- Swarm of Blows
Whenever you attack at least two different creature with the Attack action or with Flurry of Blows, you may make one additional unarmed strike against a third creature.

17 :- The Unseen Hand
Whenever you make an unarmed strike, you may spend 1 ki to compare your attack roll to that creature's passive perception instead of its armor class.

JNAProductions
2020-10-15, 02:01 PM
Hands Like Swallows
Should allow you to pick a new skill if you already have Sleight of Hand. Otherwise, you're best off NOT having it till level three.

Flesh-Breaking Fists
Probably not OP, but better than the equivalent Champion ability.

Too Fast To See
Interesting.

Swarm Of Blows
Feels fine.

The Unseen Hand
I'm not a fan. At level 17, you're probably rocking +11 to-hit. Against, say, the Tarrasque or a similarly beefy boi (AC 25, but bad Passive Perception) that turns you from hitting on a 14+ (35%) to 2+ (95%). This is true up to PP 13, and it DOUBLES or more your chance of hitting through PP 18.

Tvtyrant
2020-10-15, 02:11 PM
Maybe have Unseen Hand make a single attack that hits perception as a bonus action? Like a single super accurate hit.

Amechra
2020-10-15, 02:32 PM
That's fair regarding Hands Like Swallows. That's one of the annoying parts of getting subclass features at 3rd level.

Flesh-Breaking Fists
Probably not OP, but better than the equivalent Champion ability.

Bear in mind that it has a much heftier restriction on what weapons you can use than the Champion does, and that it shows up on a class that has fewer ASIs to play around with.

I'm also of the opinion that Champions should get more than just an increased crit range at 3rd level. Seriously, they should've gotten Remarkable Athlete at the same level or something.

The Unseen Hand
I'm not a fan. At level 17, you're probably rocking +11 to-hit. Against, say, the Tarrasque or a similarly beefy boi (AC 25, but bad Passive Perception) that turns you from hitting on a 14+ (35%) to 2+ (95%). This is true up to PP 13, and it DOUBLES or more your chance of hitting through PP 18.

Do you think it'd be fine if I just made it more expensive, and/or if I made it so that they got a Wisdom (Perception) check to oppose your attack roll?

Maybe have Unseen Hand make a single attack that hits perception as a bonus action? Like a single super accurate hit.

That's also an idea. I'll have to think about this.

Yakk
2020-10-15, 03:16 PM
3 :- Hands Like Swallows
You gain proficiency with the Sleight of Hand skill - if you already have that proficiency, you gain proficiency with another skill instead. You may perform Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks in place of an unarmed strike as long as both of your hands are free.

I'd bake some uses of slight of hand into the subclass. While there are creative uses in combat, having your own in the class is good.

3 :- Flesh-Breaking Fists
Your unarmed strikes score a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20. Whenever you score a critical hit with an unarmed strike, you can roll one of your Martial Arts dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
That wording sucks, but it is standard.

6 :- Too Fast To See
Creatures may not use reactions in response to your unarmed attacks unless your attack roll fails to beat their passive perception.
Very niche. I'd remove the extra bit about passive perception; it is already a niche ability, a niche ability with an extra lookup is going too far.

Whenever you make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, you may spend 2 ki to briefly redirect their attention, allowing you to roll against their passive perception even if they are watching you.
This is cute, but there is no RAW that you cannot roll against passive perception even if they are watching you. Opposed rolls in 5e are (grapple is about it?), usually one party rolls and the other uses their passive.

This looks like a feature that implies a nerf to everyone else; a Ki tax.

How about you just impose disadvantage? (That is -5 if the DM uses passive, or two rolls pick lowest if they choose to go with an opposed check).

11 :- Swarm of Blows
Whenever you attack at least two different creature with the Attack action or with Flurry of Blows, you may make one additional unarmed strike against a third creature.
While at level 11 you probably have enough Ki to Flurry every time instead of use MA, how about

Swarm of Blows
At level 11, a Fister who only makes unarmed attacks with an attack action or bonus action, and never attacks the same target twice, can add 1 additional attack on a different target.

This mean without Ki you can attack 3 + 2 targets, with Ki you can attack 3+3 targets. If slowed, you can even attack 2 + 3 targets.

(Why yes, way of 1000 monks are known as fisters, what else would they be called?)

17 :- The Unseen Hand
Whenever you make an unarmed strike, you may spend 1 ki to compare your attack roll to that creature's passive perception instead of its armor class.
This is really fiddly and quirky. It is basically +BIG attack modifier for 1 Ki, but the DM will have to go and look up a relatively non-combat stat every time you use it (or add it to the short form of the monsters).

How about a simple "once on your turn, you can expend 1 Ki to give one of your unarmed strikes advantage"? That can scale upwards ("when you make an unarmed attack, you can spend 1 ki and it and all other unarmed attacks in the action or bonus action gain advantage").

It mimics a big boost to attack, but removes some of the fiddly.