PDA

View Full Version : Monk slayer: the spear of valarian spell

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-15, 02:15 PM
I was working on a build that got access to the ranger spell list, and I found this strange spell from BOED: spear of valarian. Let's look at it together:

Spear of Valarian (Book of Exalted Deeds) Transmutation Level: Beloved of Valarian 4, Ranger 4, Druid 5,
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One nonmagical weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (object, harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (object, harmless)

The spear of Valarian spell transforms one nonmagical weapon into a shimmering silver spear. You must be carrying the weapon and have it drawn for the spell to work. The shimmering spear functions as a +1 silvered spear. Against magical beasts, the weapon becomes a +3 silvered spear that deals +2d6 points of bonus damage (as the bane special property). If the spear of Valarian is sundered, the original weapon breaks as the spell suddenly ends. If the wielder relinquishes the spear, willingly or not, it immediately reverts to its previous state and the spell ends.

The build I was making had some monk levels, and I asked them if I turn my enchantable fists into a spear, does it replace my arm at the elbow, or do i lose a hand, which becomes a spear that i use in my other hand.

A friend sagely pointed out that a monks whole body is a weapon.

Which, on a touch spell, makes this a way to just turn an opposing monk (or battle dancer) into an inert spear if they fail their fort save.

InvisibleBison
2020-10-15, 02:20 PM
You must [...] have it drawn for the spell to work.

How would you fulfill this clause with a monk? Monks aren't normally stored in sheaths, or containers of any sort really, so how does one draw the monk?

TheStranger
2020-10-15, 02:21 PM
But a monk above 4th level is a magic weapon, and therefore not a legal target fir this spell.

Doctor Despair
2020-10-15, 02:23 PM
The spear of Valarian spell transforms one nonmagical weapon into a shimmering silver spear. You must be carrying the weapon and have it drawn for the spell to work. The shimmering spear functions as a +1 silvered spear. Against magical beasts, the weapon becomes a +3 silvered spear that deals +2d6 points of bonus damage (as the bane special property). If the spear of Valarian is sundered, the original weapon breaks as the spell suddenly ends. If the wielder relinquishes the spear, willingly or not, it immediately reverts to its previous state and the spell ends.

Could present an issue to this usage. Can you "draw" a monk? Does this imply the existence of a sheathed monk? Is grappling a creature sufficient to say they are "carried"? If not, is there a way to carry an unwilling creature?

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-15, 02:23 PM
Sorry about the double post, but a thought just came to me...

A kensai monk can enchant their unarmed strikes, one at a time. Those cannot be targeted by the spell. But if said monk/kensai enchanted their head and then got hit my this spell, the rest of their body becomes the spear. Which I found amusing enough to share.

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-15, 02:25 PM
Oh 1 rank in craft (drawing) will allow you to draw the monk in question.

And a monk of 4th level is only magic in terms of overcoming damage resistance, so they're still a legal target.

You might need to initiate a grapple to hold the monk that you've hastily drawn, but that just adds to the comedy.

If you weapon shift them into a weapon that counts as ammunition, you have a 50% of destroying them on a miss

Olo Demonsbane
2020-10-15, 02:39 PM
Would a Drunken Master 1 be able to use this spell against nearly anything?

Improvised Weapons (Ex): While bottles and tankards are a drunken master's preferred improvised weapons, he can use furniture, farm implements, or nearly anything else at hand to attack his foes. A drunken master's improvised weapon deals as much damage as his unarmed strike plus an extra 1d4 points. Most improvised weapons deal bludgeoning damage, although some (a broken glass bottle, for example) would deal piercing or slashing damage. When a drunken master rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll while using an improvised weapon, that weapon breaks apart and becomes useless.

"nearly anything else" is definitely a useful qualifier.

Nice find!

Batcathat
2020-10-15, 02:50 PM
How would you fulfill this clause with a monk? Monks aren't normally stored in sheaths, or containers of any sort really, so how does one draw the monk?

Hire an artist to make a lovely drawing of the monk?

(Sorry. Failed my roll to resist punnery).

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-15, 02:57 PM

Clearly, you have to be carrying a naked Monk.

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-15, 02:59 PM
Hire an artist to make a lovely drawing of the monk?

(Sorry. Failed my roll to resist punnery).

Archivist 7/shadowsmith 3 can reach into the shadow and pull out a drawing of the monk as a standard action.

Throw a level of bear totem barbarian on there for improved grab and BAM!

monk spear

Thurbane
2020-10-15, 04:06 PM

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/ros_gallery/83327.jpg

Fling Ally / Fling Enemy feats (RoS), if the monk is stashed in a bag of Holding or similar :smallbiggrin:

daremetoidareyo
2020-10-15, 04:39 PM
I never sheath my monk!!!

In order to cast the spell, that's a requirement.

Wildstag
2020-10-15, 04:45 PM
Ah, but what if the monk is carried around in their sleeping bag for a couple minutes each night before being put on the ground to sleep?

Then you've got a monk in a sheath or carrying case and you sometimes wield it sheathed!

Thurbane
2020-10-15, 05:01 PM
Spring Sheath (S&S, Assassin 1) can be cast on any "sheath, buckle, or strap" that holds a weapon, and acts like Quick Draw.

A Monk could be wearing Ki Straps (MIC) - could you consider them to be "holding" the Monk? :smallbiggrin:

Ashtagon
2020-10-15, 05:03 PM
Could present an issue to this usage. Can you "draw" a monk? Does this imply the existence of a sheathed monk? Is grappling a creature sufficient to say they are "carried"? If not, is there a way to carry an unwilling creature?

Clothes are basically sheaths for humans. The monk would have to be naked for this spell to work on him.

More seriously though, I'd let this spell work, and the effect would be that the monk has a spear in his hand. Note that the spell does not allow this spear to be thrown or otherwise unhanded. Also, the monk would not normally get the benefit of his monk unarmed strike damage, making this a bit of a "whatever" spell for him.

Saintheart
2020-10-15, 06:50 PM
Make sure your monk is always competing in a sack race!

Drelua
2020-10-15, 11:03 PM
Make sure your monk is always competing in a sack race!

With fast movement, they should be able to keep up while hopping in a sack. Even if it's half speed, there's a good chance someone's moving at 20'.

animewatcha
2020-10-16, 01:19 AM
Do we count the Monkey D. Spear-ey as having a fly speed when said monk is thrown? If so, his speed bonus would add to said fly speed. Monk can be a Kung Fu Flyin'.

PraxisVetli
2020-10-16, 05:04 AM
Don't the rules for Iajutsu cover sheathed unarmed strikes as having your hands on your pockets, etc?

Shirow
2020-10-17, 12:11 AM
If this is monk/ranger thing I'd put a couple of spiked gauntlets on the monk's sash, and "unsheath" them when I wanna use the spell. Not a monk weapon but neither is the spear? (unless you do that muai thay variant I guess)