PDA

View Full Version : What are the Pros and Cons of one handing a Two Handed weapon (pathfindef)

Nosta
2020-10-15, 09:04 PM
I know there are ways that let one wield say a Great-axe one handed. What are the Pros and cons of it

Doctor Despair
2020-10-15, 09:07 PM
Holding two of them would be a start, I suppose

Firebug
2020-10-15, 10:27 PM
For Pathfinder(which I am assuming you are referring to with 'pathfindef'), if you are wielding it in one hand, it counts as one-handed for feats/etc. So Power Attack(2:-1, not 3:-1) and Str bonus(1x, not 1.5x) at the lower modifiers are Cons.

Kurald Galain
2020-10-16, 03:04 AM
The pros are that if it's one-handed, you can use it with e.g. Magus spell combat or with the Stylish Riposte feat.

The Insanity
2020-10-16, 06:45 AM
If I remember correctly they FAQ'd it to not work, but by RAW one-handing a two-handed weapon still counted as two-handing it for certain mechanics due to how the core rules were worded.

Max Caysey
2020-10-16, 08:50 AM
I know there are ways that let one wield say a Great-axe one handed. What are the Pros and cons of it

As far as I can tell, the benifit is simply having a higher base damage. So, a Great Sword is actually just a larger longsword, ergo the damge is 2d6 instead of 1d8... thats basically what you get. The larger the weapon the higher the base damage. If you have full access to magical enchantments, the added damage because of larger weapon is not really worth the trouple of removing any penalties from wielding a larger weapon... It probably can be, but IFAIK seldomly!

Darg
2020-10-16, 09:18 AM
In order to use a 2h weapon as one handed, you give up a possible size category bonus to damage. Another con is that you can't wield both ends of a double weapon with only one hand.

Nosta
2020-10-16, 10:23 AM
What's a good build for one who wants wields a great Axe in one hand?

Kurald Galain
2020-10-16, 10:24 AM
What's a good build for one who wants wields a great Axe in one hand?

The pros are that if it's one-handed, you can use it with e.g. Magus spell combat or with the Stylish Riposte feat.

How about a Magus with spell combat and the Stylish Riposte feat?

Drelua
2020-10-16, 08:32 PM
Yeah, it's basically slightly more damage than a regular one handed for a penalty to hit. I've always wanted to play a Titan Mauler barbarian and get a sun blade made 2 sizes too big. It's as big as a bastard sword and as easy to use as a shortsword, so that arch etype could use it two handed for a -4 to hit, reduced by their special ability, doing 3d8 damage. Lead blades and enlarge bumps it up to 6d8.

Also, the effortless lace from giant slayers handbook is a good item for this. Permanently modifies a weapon to be easier to use, reduces the attack penalties. With this, that barbarian would be taking no penalties on attack rolls by the time they can afford a sun blade.