PDA

View Full Version : No Equipment Build Ideas

Willowhelm
2020-10-15, 10:42 PM
This post (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24753088&postcount=6) reminded me of a build I've been curious about for a while.

This is not "how to escape a jail when your equipment is taken", or "how to survive a start with no equipment until you can scrounge or buy some". The idea is that you have have taken an oath, or perhaps you are cursed, to have no material possessions and you will stick to it for the entire campaign.

How would you go about making a character that can hold their own and contribute in social, combat (melee and ranged) and exploration without any equipment. If that is too simple (just play a monk... duh)... how would you optimize it? What would be the bare minimum for a class to be practical (Eg. A wizard with no spellbook is severely handicapped)

Obviously there are plenty of game mechanics that help, eg:

No clothes - you could benefit from Goliath's Mountain Born
No weapons - martial arts, or spells that can summon on demand, pact weapons etc
No armor - mage armor, unarmored defense, natural armor

I'm well aware that much of the game is built around the expectation that you will use equipment. I'm curious what you all can come up with that circumvents those expectations. Martials kind of need weapons and armor, spellcasters "need" their components (especially the ones with gold costs) so... how do you get around that? Just wait until you get wish?! How much can you do with just verbal component spells?

Obviously if this is well covered elsewhere then please just let me know what the term i should search for is!

Sigreid
2020-10-15, 10:45 PM
Tiefling monk with the outlander background and the Infernal Resistances feat. No weapons or armor, check, able to still feed themselves, check, able to survive comfortably in excessive cold and heat, check. :)

Dork_Forge
2020-10-15, 10:49 PM
Off the top of my head:

A Tortle Sun Soul Monk with the Outlander background, dip Druid for the cantrips and some 1st level spells (aiming for things that don't require M ideally).

Willowhelm
2020-10-15, 11:03 PM
Two posts, two outlander monks.

Monks seem like the "easy mode" option but what is the benefit from outlander? "Just" RP?

Feats are also in play! Eg. Picking up tavern brawler opens up a lot of replacement weapons and makes some more martial approaches available.

Sigreid
2020-10-15, 11:12 PM

Monks seem like the "easy mode" option but what is the benefit from outlander? "Just" RP?

Feats are also in play! Eg. Picking up tavern brawler opens up a lot of replacement weapons and makes some more martial approaches available.

The all but guaranteed ability to feed yourself up to level 18 or whenever it is that you no longer need to eat or drink.

Greywander
2020-10-15, 11:15 PM
Monk has already been suggested, so I'll try something different: rogue 2 (or 3)/barbarian X. Grab Tavern Brawler, punch stuff, then grapple. Rogue for expertise in Athletics and for Cunning Action, barbarian for Unarmored Defense and Rage. Your job is to punch their teeth in, grab them by the throat, and throw them to the ground and hold them there. Drag them toward or away from your allies as is tactically sound.

Unoriginal
2020-10-15, 11:21 PM
Could take the Hermit background and say your character discovered the secret of living without equipment.

Sigreid
2020-10-15, 11:23 PM
Warlock would work, even if you want to melee as you can rely on a EB or a pact weapon and the mage armor invocation.

Dork_Forge
2020-10-15, 11:24 PM

Outlander does a lot for the exploration pillar and helps add some depth in that department, the no equipment restriction really hampers casting .

As for the Monk, the post required useful contributions to combat both in melee and ranged, without equipment that's not the easiest of requirements to fill, Sun Soul Monk does both rather nicely.

Anything with natural weapons would make a passable melee base though, for example a Tortle Barbarian would do okay in combat too.

Kemev
2020-10-15, 11:39 PM
Playing a lizardfolk checks a lot of boxes here. You've got better-than-studded-leather armor and a melee attack built in, and while Cunning Artisan's a bit of a non-bo since it requires a knife or tool to start with, you could probably steal or scrounge one.

You could also play a rogue (especially an arcane trickster with mage hand), and steal everything you need for an adventuring career. Or play some kind of diplomancer bard... who needs weapons or armor when you can talk your way out of anything?

Nounverber
2020-10-16, 12:17 AM
For race, I'd want to pick simic hybrid. You get to be a freak of nature that can explain why you don't have anything and have weird adaptations to deal with the environment. I'd pick the gliding ability at level one and the extra tentacle hands at 5

Background, probably outlander so I can subsist on food without worrying about starving. It shouldn't matter that much because of class choices later

For class, start monk 1 just because having unarmed strike not be garbage is important, you get a bonus action attack and you also get unarmored defense. Wisdom and dex should be high, preferably with con as third highest but maybe get strength up

You could go straight monk, or you could grab fighter 1 in order to get a fighting style. Because you want to avoid weapons, you could take the unarmed fighting style so you don't have to worry about staying a monk and then you also get bonus grapple damage that synergizes with grapple tentacles. You also get a short rest heal which really helps at low levels

Everything past this can be whatever fits your idea. You have a guy that hits people for rapier damage, has okay ac, can heal in short rests, and gets extra help from grapples. Going more fighter gets action surge, feats, an archetype, and extra attack. Going more monk gets you ki, an archetype, extra attack and also stunning strike. Dipping rogue slows progression but gets you sneak attack and expertise in grappling, dipping druid can get you the ability to cast spells with leaves you pick from branches or bushes and also wild shape, warlock can cast spells if you go blade pact, barbarian would get you a lot more survivability, etc. Basically, with those two levels you can survive with nothing against most tier one threats and you can build into anything to cover your niche cases like fighting ghosts or flying creatures or whatnot

Focusing on unarmed strikes is good since you can rely on your bonus action grapple from simic tentacles for more damage and then bonus action punches later. If you're looking for always available ranged attacks, you're going to have to rely on cantrips or grab sun soul or some other magic ranged class ability. You can't smite without a weapon and you can't sneak attack without a weapon so good luck using them without a pact blade. Most barbarian things would synergize and most ranger stuff would too. Druid wild shape would greatly benefit you especially if it was moon druid. You could also probably turn into animal forms to get whatever animal parts you need for one time spellcasting and it all stacks with your monk skills and your fighter skills

CTurbo
2020-10-16, 12:54 AM
Any Monk would do of course

Nobody has mentioned Sorcerer yet? Draconic gets decent natural armor and it's not too hard to avoid spells that consume components.

Juggernaut Warforged TWF Brute Fighter with the Skilled feat would be simple yet effective too.

Dork_Forge
2020-10-16, 01:23 AM

Nobody has mentioned Sorcerer yet? Draconic gets decent natural armor and it's not too hard to avoid spells that consume components.

Juggernaut Warforged TWF Brute Fighter with the Skilled feat would be simple yet effective too.

It doesn't have to consume the component, any component spells that don't have them just lying on the floor in front of you when you need them are basically off the table. The extra cantrips would definitely help flesh out the abilities though.

The Warforged build you selected is very DM dependent, the subtypes of Warforged got nixed with the publication of Rising from the Last War (and Wayfinder's was updated to the new Warforged). Brute is a nice subclass but an abandoned UA too. I thought about using TWF with natural weapons on a Fighter chassis, but I couldn't remember if natural weapons are TWF eligible, definitely opens a lot of possibilities!

jojosskul
2020-10-16, 07:58 AM

Came here to suggest sorcerer as well. For once limited spells known isn't as big of a deal, since you eliminate any spell with a material component. At level one it would look like this:

Draconic Sorcerer - Go either Red or Gold here. Why would you do this when you can't cast fireball? Because you can still cast Scorching Ray, which upcasts well and will be your most reliable non-cantrip damage for much of your career.

Draconic is needed because Mage Armor takes both a spell known AND has a material component, so you can't use it.

Race: Something with darkvision, since you can't cast light or dancing lights, so standard half-elf will be fine. I mean yeah theoretically you're naked, but if you have a high charisma people tend to complain less.

Background: Entertainer. Free room and board at any inn you want, you don't have to use an intrument to perform. Performance will be a very important skill in this case. Which is entertaining from the no clothes factor.

Cantrips:
Fire bolt
Prestidigitation
Mage Hand
Frost Bite

1st Level Spells:
Shield
Burning Hands/Catapult

Perfectly usable level 1 character that requires exactly 0 material components. Other notable spells on their list that require no components at all:

1st Level: Absorb Elements, Chaos Bolt, Charm Person, Disguise Self (Just in case you need to be not naked for an hour), Expeditious Retreat (for streaking), Fog Cloud, Magic Missile, Thunderwave.

2nd Level: Scorching Ray, Blindness/Deafness, Mind Spike, Mirror Image, Misty Step, Shadow Blade (you'll probably want to boost Dex a bit more than you normally would anyway)

3rd Level: Blink, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Enemies Abound, Thunderstep (admittedly this hurts at this level, but isn't insurmountable)

4th Level: Blight, Charm Monster, Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility, Sickening Radiance, Storm Sphere

5th Level (TON OF GREAT STUFF HERE): Animate Objects, Cloudkill, Dominate Person, Enervation, Far Step, Immolation (not bad with Twin), Seeming, Synaptic Static, Telekineses

6th: Eyebite, the Investiture Line, Mental Prison

7th: Anything that isn't Delayed Blast Fireball, Plane Shift, or Reverse Gravity

8th: Dominate Monster, Incendiary Cloud, Power Word Stun

9th: Wish. Also anything that isn't Mass Polymorph or Gate.

Looking at this, your only real spell level where you suffer is 3rd, and you recover from that pretty quickly, and Enemies Abound isn't bad for a big gun spell.

For meta-magic, take Subtle. Absolutely always take subtle. You have no material components. Which means EVERY SPELL YOU CAST can be made to look like you never cast it at all. Beyond that I think this list lends itself well to Quicken. Maybe Empower if you lean into blasting, which you CAN do with this list.

Overall the naked half elf dragon sorcerer could be a very effective character to play, and eschewing all material components is actually an advantage with Subtle spell anyway.

Joe the Rat
2020-10-16, 08:28 AM
Another boon for sorcerer: Subtle Metamagic. If you absolutely, positively must have an M component spell, one sorcery point makes it viable.

Tortle has one advantage over most of the options discussed: It is socially acceptable for them to not have pants. The rest wouldn't be allowed to wander around naked in most cities. Although I suppose the druid options can always wildshape into a domestic beastie to "fit in."

Unless you want to allow things like clothes, and possibly containers for water.

carrdrivesyou
2020-10-16, 08:51 AM
I once played a Path of the Beast Barbarian with the Tavern Brawler feat. He just grabbed whatever was handy and used it to fight for the time being. Large bones, candelabras, a chain, the sorcerer's missing leg, etc. If things got serious then he raged and used his natural weapons. It worked really well up until about 7th level where he died to save the rest of the party. He was super fun to play.

jojosskul
2020-10-16, 08:55 AM
Another boon for sorcerer: Subtle Metamagic. If you absolutely, positively must have an M component spell, one sorcery point makes it viable.

Snip

Sadly Subtle only removes Verbal and Somatic components, not Material. It's still great for walking around naked and having it seem like you never actually cast ANYTHING.

nickl_2000
2020-10-16, 09:02 AM
Sadly Subtle only removes Verbal and Somatic components, not Material. It's still great for walking around naked and having it seem like you never actually cast ANYTHING.

Are you really all that subtle if you are walking around naked? I mean sure, they won't know you are casting spells, but you would certainly would attract attention.

Joe the Rat
2020-10-16, 09:15 AM
Sadly Subtle only removes Verbal and Somatic components, not Material. It's still great for walking around naked and having it seem like you never actually cast ANYTHING.Hrm. I keep missing that. For some reason I keep thinking Eschew Materials got folded in with Still and Silent.

Stealthscout
2020-10-16, 09:22 AM
Are you really all that subtle if you are walking around naked? I mean sure, they won't know you are casting spells, but you would certainly would attract attention.

Don't know. Swaggering around without pants and 18+ charisma while using subtle Suggestion spells is just crying to be played for my next city-based game. Be a hermit background and just ride the line between Don Juan and Diogenes the Cynic. Extra points if you play a female but that would get trope-y reeeal fast.

Depends on how optimized you want to be. Optimal is probably monk or barbarian to have a good AC. Spellcasters would be limited to certain spells.

If you let someone have a holy symbol, a druid would be a top pick. They have Goodberry so you don't need the outlander background to take food/money out of the equation. Shape Water allows you to make tools on demand for things you might need.

If you are being really, really strict but want some fun, Warlock or someone with the feat to get the free-cast Disguise Self is critical. You get all the fun of the spell but can walk around in the buff without any questions asked. The Warlock class doesn't have many spells that require components either and can easily compensate for losing those that do.

jojosskul
2020-10-16, 09:26 AM

I mean of course you attract attention, but they'd never expect the crazy naked person to be the one behind all the magic in town slowly being dispelled. Hide in plain sight! Honestly I may make this character and call the build The Naked Dragon. Sounds like a monk, but then BAM, naked sorcerer with performance proficiency who always stays in inns for free.

XmonkTad
2020-10-16, 09:32 AM
Race: Something with darkvision, since you can't cast light or dancing lights, so standard half-elf will be fine. I mean yeah theoretically you're naked, but if you have a high charisma people tend to complain less.

I lol'd. I would also say that bard works for all the same reasons sorc works. But this is a great build idea.

Haven't seen a lot of talk about moon druid, probably because it's so obvious. You still would have to rely on a background/party for food because of the material component on Goodberry. But being able to turn into forms with great natural weapons sounds nice.

You can use a shadowblade as the material component for BB/GFB, as well as allowing you to make paladin smites.

Fabricate can make you all sorts of things, and while you need proficiency in artisan tools to make objects of high quality, you don't actually need to have the tools with you. Similarly with a Knowledge Cleric's "Knowledge of the Ages" ability, you don't actually need the tools with you.

RogueJK
2020-10-16, 09:39 AM
Monk 1/Moon Druid X

I played one a while back that used practically no equipment. It was a feral Ghostwise Halfling that was literally raised by wolves. ("Raised by wolves" is actually one of the Personality Trait options under the Outlander background.)

No weapons or armor. Minimal clothing and possessions, having just some patchwork furs to endure the elements and not get run out of every town for public indecency, and a "possibles bag" containing random bits of food and spell components slung across his body. (So not technically "100% zero equipment", I guess...)

High DEX and WIS meant his AC was good, both in and out of Wild Shape, despite the lack of armor. He relied on Wild Shape and spells most of the time in combat, but could also just attack with his bare hands if needed, having 2x 1d4+5 DEX-based unarmed attacks per round, augmented by the Primal Savagery cantrip to keep his "bare hands" damage scaling at higher levels or for when my Bonus Action was needed for something else. The Produce Flame cantrip not only eliminated the need for firestarting gear or torches/lanterns, despite not having Darkvision, but also gave him a ranged attack option that didn't use equipment or spell slots.

nickl_2000
2020-10-16, 09:54 AM
I mean of course you attract attention, but they'd never expect the crazy naked person to be the one behind all the magic in town slowly being dispelled. Hide in plain sight! Honestly I may make this character and call the build The Naked Dragon. Sounds like a monk, but then BAM, naked sorcerer with performance proficiency who always stays in inns for free.

What is this character performing exactly? :wink:

Aett_Thorn
2020-10-16, 11:10 AM
I built a character for a recent campaign that was based on needing fairly little in terms of equipment to be effective - a Loxodon Light Cleric.

Certainly, a Cleric would be reasonable to have a holy symbol as his only possession, and this helps a bit with some spells and abilities. He’s got Natural Armor for some AC, and just needs to pump Con a bit. Sure, he wouldn’t be able to carry any diamonds for resurrecting, but that means each other party member needs to have their own diamonds.

Lavaeolus
2020-10-16, 11:23 AM
Most of the posts so far are about Monks and spellcasters (specifically Druid and Sorcerer). So, I'd like to stop and take a think about what non-Monk, non-magical options we can get to let most martials work. Damage and AC are our primary concerns. What can we do to solve them?

A Rogue probably needs at least some sort of summonable equipment, such as a pact weapon, or they're unable to trigger Sneak Attack. Other classes might be more flexible.

Damage: If we're not flinging spells or using a weapon, we're likely stuck using unarmed strikes. Accordingly, it'd make sense to build some sort of STR-based melee character. The UA Unarmed Fighting Style would be pretty useful here, encouraging us to use our free hands to grapple and increasing our base damage from, er, 1.

Assume that's not an option and Tavern Brawler is one thing we could do. d4 unarmed damage isn't great compared to a regular weapon, and to start with the feat requires a Variant Human. But the bonus-action grapple is nice. Our other obvious way of boosting unarmed strikes come from races. Mostly these are d4s, identical to Tavern Brawler, but Minotaur and Lizardfolk get to start with d6 unarmed strikes. Simic Hybrids can get both Grappling Appendages for d6-damage and a BA-grapple at once, but have to wait until 5th-level.

AC: Being a Barbarian or taking a Barbarian level is an obvious move. If we're using 27 Point Buy and trying to optimise, Fighters and Barbarians can probably start with 14 DEX and 16 CON, netting you a starting 15 AC. That'll get slightly better as either stat is raised, but if we have a STR-focus it's not amazingly great or anything. Paladins, meanwhile, are going to find it much harder to take advantage of this.

So back to races we go. Loxodons get a respectable 12+CON (and can grapple people with their trunks!). Lizardfolk get 13+DEX. Tortle are perhaps the most interesting, with a fixed-but-decent 17 AC. Of note, Tortle and Lizardfolk get both natural armor and weapons.

----

Where does that leave us? The unarmored Barbarian is obviously already semi-supported, so the damage question is the main problem to sort. Once you've solved that, well, you may as well capitalise on your free hands and Barbarian can make for a decent grappler. There might be a question of Brutal Critical working with unarmed strikes since it relies on a "weapon damage die", although RAF I'd allow it to work on most characters with enhanced unarmed strikes.

On the flipside, a Paladin is in less position to take advantage of most unarmored sources since they need to balance raising STR and CHA. Tortle's probably the winner there, then, and I would allow Divine Smite to trigger on a Tortle's unarmed attack. (Which is another whole kettle of rules-debating fish I don't really want to force into the topic, but obviously effects the build.)

Sigreid
2020-10-16, 11:28 AM
Most of the posts so far are about Monks and spellcasters (specifically Druid and Sorcerer). So, I'd like to stop and take a think about what non-Monk, non-magical options we can get to let most martials work. Damage and AC are our primary concerns. What can we do to solve them?

A Rogue probably needs at least some sort of summonable equipment, such as a pact weapon, or they're unable to trigger Sneak Attack. Other classes might be more flexible.

Damage: If we're not flinging spells or using a weapon, we're likely stuck using unarmed strikes. Accordingly, it'd make sense to build some sort of STR-based melee character. The UA Unarmed Fighting Style would be pretty useful here, encouraging us to use our free hands to grapple and increasing our base damage from, er, 1.

Assume that's not an option and Tavern Brawler is one thing we could do. d4 unarmed damage isn't great, and to start with the feat requires a Variant Human. But the bonus-action grapple is nice. Our other obvious way of boosting unarmed strikes come from races. Mostly these are d4s, identical to Tavern Brawler, but Minotaur and Lizardfolk get to start with d6 unarmed strikes.

AC: Being a Barbarian or taking a Barbarian level is an obvious move. If we're using 27 Point Buy and trying to optimise, Fighters and Barbarians can probably start with 14 DEX and 16 CON, netting you a starting 15 AC. That'll get slightly better as either stat is raised, but if we have a STR-focus it's not amazingly great or anything. Paladins, meanwhile, are going to find it much harder to take advantage of this.

So back to races we go. Loxodons get a respectable 12+CON (and can grapple people with their trunks!). Lizardfolk get 13+DEX. Tortle are perhaps the most interesting, with a fixed-but-decent 17 AC. Of note, Tortle and Lizardfolk get both natural armor and weapons.

----

Where does that leave us? The unarmored Barbarian is obviously already semi-supported, so the damage question is the main problem to sort. Once you've solved that, well, you may as well capitalise on your free hands and Barbarian can make for a decent grappler. There might be a question of Brutal Critical working with unarmed strikes since it relies on a "weapon damage die", although RAF I'd allow it to work on most characters with enhanced unarmed strikes.

On the flipside, a Paladin is in less position to take advantage of most unarmored sources since they need to balance raising STR and CHA. Tortle's probably the winner there, then, and I would allow Divine Smite to trigger on a Tortle's unarmed attack. (Which is another whole kettle of rules-debating fish I don't really want to force into the topic, but obviously effects the build.)

Barbarian with the magic initiate feat so he can get the shileligh cantrip. now any random stick he grabs is a magic weapon!

CTurbo
2020-10-16, 11:38 AM
I thought Sorcerers didn't need typical material components unless the spell explicitly stated that it consumed the component like with Chromatic Orb's 50GP diamond. They just need a spell focus which could be anything.

Evaar
2020-10-16, 11:53 AM
What others have said, but also Hexblade Warlock.

If you aren't allowed a weapon at levels 1 and 2, you just rely on Eldritch Blast.

At 3, you can summon a pact weapon. It's less equipment and more part of your being. Pick something with Reach because not using armor will hurt your AC. Maybe grab Improved Pact Weapon and make it a ranged weapon.

Pick the Armor of Shadows invocation for free Mage Armor, that'll help but you'll still be behind unless you can get your Dex up to 20 somehow. Otherwise you'll be about 2 AC behind a comparable Hexblade who is using equipment. You can mitigate that with smart positioning at range or reach.

And that's really it. You do Hexblade stuff. Pick up the Elemental Weapon spell to make your pact weapon a +2 whatever it is.

jojosskul
2020-10-16, 12:07 PM
I thought Sorcerers didn't need typical material components unless the spell explicitly stated that it consumed the component like with Chromatic Orb's 50GP diamond. They just need a spell focus which could be anything.

This is true for Sorcerers and most other classes that can use arcane focus's, but with this excercise I'm assuming that an arcane focus isn't in the cards. Also a spell focus can't be anything, arcane focus is a specific piece of equipment in the PHB. It's called out as either a wand, staff, rod, or orb if I remember right. And the beauty of The Naked Dragon (TM) is that they don't need any of those either and are still quite an effective Sorcerer.

RogueJK
2020-10-16, 12:09 PM
This is true for Sorcerers and most other classes that can use arcane focus's, but with this excercise I'm assuming that an arcane focus isn't in the cards. Also a spell focus can't be anything, arcane focus is a specific piece of equipment in the PHB. It's called out as either a wand, staff, rod, or orb if I remember right.

Druids, on the other hand, can use something as simple as a sprig of mistletoe or holly that they've picked as their focus.

jojosskul
2020-10-16, 12:18 PM
Druids, on the other hand, can use something as simple as a sprig of mistletoe or holly that they've picked as their focus.

That makes sense, and as prepared casters they can prepare spells that need that focus on days they expect things usable as druid focuses to be available.

Vogie
2020-10-16, 01:53 PM
Rogue with 2 levels of Forge cleric.

"So you're telling me the prisoner turned his manacles into armor?"
"Yes, sir. Also, the lock on the door into a shortsword"
"Who was guarding him?"
gestures to very dead guard in puddle of blood
"...Right"

Willowhelm
2020-10-16, 01:55 PM
I like a lot of the stuff here. I'd probably expect to wear at least a loin cloth or whatever culturally-appropriate level of coverage necessary to avoid constant RP disrupting the rest of the game.

Some spell focuses do seem achievable as noted but some are a bit of a grey area. Mistletoe is easy enough but when does it become a possession? A holy symbol tattooed on the body could work but once it is on your minimal clothes/robe it seems against the spirit of "no equipment". An amulet is probably off the table entirely. I'm undecided on a staff... definitely maybe.

It occurred to me that a wizard's spellbook could be potentially be replaced by memento-style tattoos all over the body. Definitely a lot of RP potential there. It could also work for a ritual caster or pact of the tome warlock. I think that ups the viability of a lot more spellcaster possibilities.

Also worth noting is some material components really are possible without them being something i would class as possessions. Eg. If you're a grubby street urchin theres a chance you have bat guano on you already. A drop of molasses stuck in your beard? "A live flea" could easily be on your body (or perhaps on an animal companion's)... Where as others seem like they really do seem like possessions so wouldn't be viable.

Bobthewizard
2020-10-16, 06:01 PM
I am playing a tabaxi warlock that started in prison. He had a bit of fleece (minor illusion and silent image), a small white feather (fly and fear), a legume seed (gust of wind), and a small nail (hold person) in his fur. No real possessions, just some trash in his fur.

He mostly uses eldritch blast with repelling blast and lance of lethargy. You could take armor of shadows for mage armor.

Sigreid
2020-10-16, 06:10 PM
I am playing a tabaxi warlock that started in prison. He had a bit of fleece (minor illusion and silent image), a small white feather (fly and fear), a legume seed (gust of wind), and a small nail (hold person) in his fur. No real possessions, just some trash in his fur.

He mostly uses eldritch blast with repelling blast and lance of lethargy. You could take armor of shadows for mage armor.

So you're playing Oblivion and started as a Kajit?

Joe the Rat
2020-10-16, 07:17 PM
What is this character performing exactly? :wink:
Beatbox.

Or maybe a bit of Le Petomane.

Naanomi
2020-10-16, 08:56 PM
Druid that never meaningfully leaves beastform is at least as 'obvious' as Monk is

Chugger
2020-10-17, 03:48 AM
Moon Druid's surprisingly effective for this - a lot of druid spells are only V,S - no M. Several heals - Conjure Animals - some nice spells. So you can cast a concentration spell before wildshaping.

Go on a site like Donjon and click a class, then click the 'no material component' option - you'd be surprised how many spells are V, S only or V only - no M. Even for other classes.

Keravath
2020-10-17, 07:35 AM
I'd think a tortle sorlock would work pretty well for this ... as well as almost any monk (as originally mentioned).

Warlock with mask of many faces could solve the lack of clothing problem too.

Lyracian
2020-10-17, 10:03 AM
[URL="https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24753088&postcount=6"]
What would be the bare minimum for a class to be practical (Eg. A wizard with no spellbook is severely handicapped)

Talking about cloths first as without at least a loincloth most races will not be practical. Tortle, Tabaxi, Lizardfolk and Dragonborn could all get away, depending on how they are depicted in the world, without clothes. Warlocks and Druids have ways around it but a basic covering of some kind will be part of the 'bare minimum' more most classes.

Rogue
A dagger for attacks, cured leather for Mage Armour and probably Thief's Tools would be my minimum for a Rogue.

Paladin
Dragonborn Paladin with Dragon Hide Feat giving claws (natural weapon) and hide for armour. Rather MAD as wants Str and Dex as well as Chr and some Con! I would want a wooden shield.

Naanomi
2020-10-17, 10:16 AM
Changelings can get away without clothes as well

Rerem115
2020-10-17, 10:35 AM
Kobolds are in the same boat as lizardfolk when it comes to clothes; nobody's going to care that the tiny dragon-lizard isn't wearing pants

Willowhelm
2020-10-17, 03:21 PM
It seems like no equipment just doesn't pose that big a set back for most people. I'm still curious to see some more fully fleshed out builds and how you'd all optimise them though.

Right now i like the image that this conjures up:

A 6 foot tall blue outlander Vedalkin wizard, body covered in tattoos. Just a loin cloth and a staff (tattoos replacing spellbook). Definite avatar vibe to it. Leaning into perfection = minimalism and simplicity. Abjuration seems thematically appropriate but i am currently playing an abjuration wizard so I might feel like something a bit different. Going from hoarding everything in a portable hole to no material possessions could be a big enough change though!

These don't have such a vivid image for me but keep bouncing around:

A warforged. Once owned as an object, now questions the concept of ownership at all. I don't have a class combo that really clicks for me yet though.
A tabaxi. Lack of interest in material things is "on brand". No need for clothes(?) and they have natural weapons. Most likely sorcerer/warlock/sorlock.

Naanomi
2020-10-17, 04:00 PM
Wizard and artificer seem impossible... operating without a spellbook or tools seems to cut the class down more than is functional even with the most twisting

Lavaeolus
2020-10-17, 05:54 PM
Wizard and artificer seem impossible... operating without a spellbook or tools seems to cut the class down more than is functional even with the most twisting

So these classes are more reliant on their equipment than usual, and there aren't RAW ways of just replacing them with natural weapons or armour. The Wizard is reliant on specifically their spellbook, and the Artificer's whole bit is about modifying and creating equipment. Can we still use them? Without reflavouring? Let's see...

What did Wizard lose? The ability to prepare spells; that requires studying your spellbook. The ability to learn new spells at all; they are placed and kept in your spellbook. The ability to cast spells as rituals; said spells must be in your spellbook. Specific class features: Arcane Recovery requires studying your spellbook, while Spell Mastery and Signature Spells work on spells... in your spellbook.

Can we bend the rules? Well, I suppose, just because a feature requires a spell be in your spellbook doesn't explicitly say you need to be carrying said book with you... Maybe you could have a spellbook, somewhere out there, that you long ago pawned/dumped. I don't think I'd generally let that fly, but taking a pretty generous view that could re-enable some features. It wouldn't enable you to prepare spells again, though, which is pretty crippling for a Wizard.

What works? Cantrips are explicitly "fixed in your mind". Most subclass features will work, although the Scribes UA would be right-out. If you somehow had spells prepared, you'd still be able to cast them. Wait...

Finding a solution: Well, aside from just biting the bullet and carrying a spellbook / reflavouring something else to serve its function, the reason Wizards aren't usually stuck if they temporarily lose their spellbook is because they can still cast said prepared spells. They'd usually want to recover or replace it ASAP, and if they did the latter, they'd lose all spells other than the ones they had prepared. Ouch! But here's where you might twist the challenge. Suppose you were okay temporarily handling equipment, you could theoretically work around this. Start with a spellbook, then chuck it first thing. If you need to revisit your list, get a new spellbook, study it, then chuck it again. Perhaps you can find someone to borrow from.

Is this really going to work? This approach would probably be more viable in a one-shot or a campaign where the level is mostly-fixed. Otherwise the spell-loss from levelling up would simply be an incredible pain, and no matter what you'll never have the option of a usual Wizard to just rearrange your kit overnight. Still, if you're alright with just one set of prepared spells, you could take a gander at making it work. Alternatively, a "no-equipment" character could hypothetically dip Wizard 2 (or however much) and then chuck their spellbook away forever, although I can't really think of a great use for this worth the hassle.

How about Artificer? Outright, your spells require a tool in hand. Again, the only way I can think around this is temporary use of a tool: borrow someone else's tinker tools at level 3 and bend the thread's premise by creating your own replaceable set of <whatever>. You'll want to use your Infusions and Spell-Storing Item feature exclusively on teammates. Your ability to attune to a bunch of magic items goes wasted, alas.

Well, that's the best I was able to come up with.

Willowhelm
2020-10-17, 09:27 PM
<snipped>

Well, that's the best I was able to come up with.

If i were DMing I'd probably allow for a communal spellbook that you don't carry with you. You're already making life hard on yourself with self imposed limits, if you RP visiting the library every time you level up that works for me. (I understand that the spellbook is supposed to be your personalised transcriptions etc, but the printed adventures have communal ones for npcs so i'd allow it)

Even with the spellbook limitation as you describe it: If you're going for a one spell/trick pony you can always do the Nuclear Wizard but without all the parts that make it more than one-trick. Following LudicSavant's build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23998967&postcount=170) As soon as you've done enough to get magic missile you can do your ridiculous party trick without ever picking up a spellbook again. You can also try and pick other 1st levels that scale well and just keep upscaling without learning new spells.

You could really force artificer's square peg through the challenge's round hole if you wanted but it really goes against the entire RP flavour and intent of the class IMO. Just hope the DM locks you in a room full of tools and materials before any big battle like an episode of the A-Team or macgyver and you'd be fine!

Willowhelm
2020-10-18, 10:30 PM
These are the various ways to solve the challenges I've found. It isn't exhaustive and i would love additional input to flesh it out. In particular there are a lot of UA features which would help but I don't really keep up with the UA stuff. I also haven't formatted it particularly (it's just notes i've thrown together) so i may come back to edit it later.

With all the below it seems most classes have a decent option to make this work and be “playable”. Particularly if you can move around some stats with Tasha's. Monks barely notice the restrictions. Wizard and Artificer are pretty much out.

I’d love to see some optimised builds though!

I’d love to see a good reference for say... a mute bard, or anything a little different. Most guides and optimisation builds assume that you can make optimal spell picks, you can make up your shortcomings with items, or you’re taking feats that work with specific weapons so I think there’s a decent challenge still trying to make a really competitive build in most classes.

With that said, I don't know that you'd actually have to make many edits to Treantmonk/Streknarteth's shadow assassin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eJDWG0UlsM) or nerdarchy's darktanyan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIJj_5mB2w) to make them work while keeping the core concept. Are there any other builds which are already most of the way to having no equipment?

--------

Issues to overcome:

No food/drink
No armour
No weapons
No protection from the elements/clothes
No spell book
No material components

Food and water:

Goodberry is out - needs material component
Create food and water - 3rd level
Outlander can find food reliably
Folk hero, haunted one, and others(?) have reliable kindness of strangers
High charisma checks to beg effectively
Reliable dc 20 survival check to forage anywhere
Being a small race reduces amount needed
High con increases time between necessary meals.
Hermit’s unique and powerful discovery could be... living without food and water?!
Often just ignored in gameplay anyway/your party will provide.
15th level monk - timeless body

No armor:

Races with natural armor
Lizard folk
Loxodon
Tortle
Dragonborn (with feat)
Class features
Monk
Barbarian
Draconian bloodline sorcerer
Warlock Armor of shadows invocation (requires two levels of warlock)
Blade song
War mage
Lore bard cutting words (effectively)
College of swords defensive flourish
Fighting styles
Kensei monk
Feats
Dual welder
Defensive duellist

Cover (including the rest of the party)

Don’t get hit:
Give disadvantage
Blur
Dodge
Lie prone
Patient defense
Mirror image
Blink

Magic item (grey area)
Barrier Tattoo (UA)

No Weapons:

Tavern brawler feat
Races with natural weapons
Monk martial arts
Pact of the blade pact weapon(s) - This is the only way to get a bow as far as i can tell?
Shadow blade spell
Wild shape
Fist fighting style (UA only still)
Eldritch Claw Tattoo (UA)

No protection from weather

Live in a temperate or better climate
Acceptable clothing level - bends rules but no particular mechanical benefits
For cold climates/resistance:
Goliaths
Triton
Storm herald (lvl 6)
silver or white Dragonborn
tiefling + infernal resistance
absorbing tattoos (UA)

No Spell Book

If you want to play a wizard with no possessions you have a hard row to hoe. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread.. this one is a tough one. It really destroys all the best parts of the wizard class without some significant hand-waving or DM rule changes.

No material components

Some of these are common enough they would be available pretty much anywhere. (Eg. Dirt, dust, drop of blood, twigs). Some are common enough that your companions probably have them (leather, butter) but either you’re going to have to have some DM hand waving as you find the components you need as you need them, or you’re limited to V and S components only.

A suitably grubby beggar type character might be able to have more. Eg. Drop of pitch, honey, food morsel, fur, fleece, flea, feathers, cloth, gauze…

More can easily be hand-waved as part of clothing or hair-pieces or other things but then you’re really just going for a *look* of no possessions, rather than actually no possessions. At which point you might as well relax the rules enough to have a spell focus. One thematically appropriate item and all your 0 cost materials are back on the table.

Material components with a cost - you better hope your party members have them and you can get them when needed.

Naanomi
2020-10-19, 09:29 AM
Some of this may be solvable with multiclassing, but for single classes (in order or efficacy):

Classes that barely notice the lack of equipment:
~Monk (except Kensai)

Classes that require a tiny build-around but are fully functional when you do so, without a significant hit to power:
~Druid (especially Moon)
~Warlock (need pact of the chain)
~Sorcerer (dragon or race with natural AC)
~Bard (more spell-list impact than the above but still functional)

Martial Classes that can function OK with a natural weapon and armor:
~Barbarian (doesn’t need armor, no battlerager)
~Ranger
~Fighter

Classes that retain many functions but lose something key that isn’t easily replaced:
~Cleric (Spell list crippled without holy symbol)
~Paladin (can’t smite without weapons)
~Rogue (can’t sneak attack without weapons, no theives’ tools)

Functionally unworkable classes:
~Wizard (no spellbook)
~Artificer (no tools)

~~~~~~~~
So, the naked party would be...
*Aarakocra Drunken Monk
*Tortle Moon Druid
*Satyr Celestial-lok
*Minotaur Zealot

jojosskul
2020-10-19, 11:31 AM
Would it be considered fair game for a Pact of the Blade Warlock to make a magic weapon they find into their Pact Weapon? Once bound as the Pact Weapon it follows the same rules as the conjured one. Or does that count as equipment?

Either way Improved Pact Weapon solves a lot of problems since you can then use the weapon as your warlock spellcasting focus. Basically for the cost of your pact and two eldritch invocations for armor of shadows and improved pact weapon any Warlock subclass can function pretty much as normal. You may want to make Dex your primary attribute rather than Cha.

CTurbo
2020-10-19, 06:18 PM
Cleric really wouldn't be that bad. Light, Mending, and Resistance are the only cantrips that require components so all the best stuff like Guidance, Toll the Dead, and Sacred Flame works just fine and the best thing is Spiritual Weapon, Spirit Guardians, and all the healing spells are V and S only. Yes your spells are limited a bit, but there are still a lot of good stuff to choose from.

A naked Tortle Tempest Cleric would be great actually. Shatter looks like the only Domain spell that requires a component that you'd have to carry. The other's just require "dust and water" which should be easy to come by when needed. You could still maximize Thunderwave, Call Lightning, and Destructive Wave.

If I was to personally make this character, I'd probably do a Monk/Druid/Cleric triple combo. (Open Hand/Moon/Tempest)

Willowhelm
2020-10-20, 09:12 PM
Would it be considered fair game for a Pact of the Blade Warlock to make a magic weapon they find into their Pact Weapon? Once bound as the Pact Weapon it follows the same rules as the conjured one. Or does that count as equipment?

Either way Improved Pact Weapon solves a lot of problems since you can then use the weapon as your warlock spellcasting focus. Basically for the cost of your pact and two eldritch invocations for armor of shadows and improved pact weapon any Warlock subclass can function pretty much as normal. You may want to make Dex your primary attribute rather than Cha.

I've been thinking about that quite a bit. I think if you flavour it as in some way making the weapon ethereal or in some way removing it's physical nature (rather than just storing elsewhere) then you could claim it as no longer being a material possession.

I certainly wouldn't extend it to, say, a wizard keeping everything in a demiplane. That's definitely "nothing on you" rather than "no possessions"