PDA

View Full Version : The Butler did it?

Particle_Man
2020-10-16, 12:51 AM
So I have an idea for a character that is a 3.5 rogue/assassin but is also trained as a butler (so at least five ranks in profession, um, butler I guess). Starting at level 6.

The idea is that he worked for an assassin's guild and joined, on their orders, a butler's guild, and then through them the household of a noble that wanted to root out the assassins. The noble hired a group of adventurers and they successfully destroyed the assassin's guild, except for the butler, who remained undetected. Having nothing else to turn to, he stayed on as butler for a few months, and then after the death of his master (who died a few months later, possibly by the butler in revenge, but possibly of natural causes; I haven't worked that out yet), was left in the master's will to one of the noble's relatives, part of another group of adventurers, as it happens.

So this guy is LE, but, lacking his original guild and seeking some sort of order in life, will obey his new Master. I figure that might be a way to have an LE character in an otherwise non-evil party without causing too much grief (there are other ways, but this one is mine). :smallbiggrin: He would explain that he had a "misspent youth" before becoming a butler, so that people might think that he was "just a rogue". And I think he would focus on the charisma skills open to an assassin, as well as hide and move silently and sense motive. So possibly a "face" character.

I might even stick to core on this, but I am not absolutely married to it. Obviously, this is not a high powered character, but might be interesting.

Anyhow, curious about people's thoughts.

Venger
2020-10-16, 01:19 AM
That sounds like a fun concept. You can always be a butler without ranks in it mechanically. You can just have it be part of your backstory.

What kinds of powers do you want your guy to have mechanically? That will guide our advice. Do you want to focus on sneak attack/death attack, focus on social, disguise, skills, finish your assassin casting, are you planning on taking assassin to 10, etc.

Bullet06320
2020-10-16, 02:11 AM
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Erevis_Cale

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/erevis-35.htm

sounds like Erevis Cale

Telonius
2020-10-16, 08:50 AM
Spheres of Power has a "Battle Butler (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/battle-butler)" class, if you're interested. Pretty easily convertible into a 3.5 campaign. There's a "Rapscallion" variant for Battle Butlers that haven't completed their training.

Particle_Man
2020-10-16, 11:05 AM
Thanks for your responses! I think I would take assassin to 10 after rogue 5, then maybe continue rogue unless some prestige class fit.

I would keep up the social skills. I would use a single weapon usually, perhaps a dagger. I would like to keep up the social skills if possible.

Not sure on race. Human is a default. Is there a butler race?

stack
2020-10-16, 11:27 AM
Spheres of Power has a "Battle Butler (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/battle-butler)" class, if you're interested. Pretty easily convertible into a 3.5 campaign. There's a "Rapscallion" variant for Battle Butlers that haven't completed their training.

While on the SoP wiki, that class is not by DDS and is not related to the Spheres of Power or Spheres of Might systems.

Palanan
2020-10-16, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Particle_Man
The idea is that he worked for an assassin's guild and joined, on their orders, a butler's guild, and then through them the household of a noble that wanted to root out the assassins.

Depends on the setting, but I don’t think butlers usually have guilds of their own—they’re often very tightly bound to a specific estate or great house, and typically spend years in training in other roles, such as footman or valet.

So you could safely skip the butler’s guild altogether, and simply have had the assassins’ guild arrange a set of references for the would-be butler when he applies to the household in question. The guild might even arrange for a creatively subtle approach to removing other applicants, although too many at once would be a little obvious.

…and then after the death of his master (who died a few months later, possibly by the butler in revenge, but possibly of natural causes; I haven't worked that out yet)….

Assassins tend not to get too weepy about the abrupt end of other assassins, so I doubt the assassin-butler would jeopardize his position for this. He’s safe and undetected, so no reason to risk exposing himself, certainly not for mere sentiment where coworkers are concerned.

Also, again it depends on the setting, but butlers are usually free citizens who can’t be included in a will like inanimate property. The butler’s former master might have written him a set of strong references in case of just such an emergency, but absent any kind of actual bondage, I wouldn’t think the former master would have any authority to deed the butler to anyone else.

He could, however, leave the estate to someone else, and then recommend the butler remain in his current position—and the butler, having nowhere else to go, might prefer to deal with wines and guest lists rather than be out in the cold.

Is there a butler race?

I seem to recall seeing a halfing butler as an NPC, somewhere in one of the Pathfinder APs, but can’t be sure.

Again, depends on the setting, but any common race would work. An elven butler might be a status symbol for a great house, a mark of special sophistication and grace. A dwarven butler would certainly know his wines and ales, and a halfling butler might have a knack for making guests feel welcome, and for giving the great house a homey feel overall.

redking
2020-10-16, 12:05 PM
.Not sure on race. Human is a default. Is there a butler race?

Just add this advanced template (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/advanced-creature-cr-1/) to whatever race you like to represent the superior butler race. It's Pathfinder but works for 3.5 without adjustment.

May I suggest a name? How about "Averis Hale"?

Particle_Man
2020-10-16, 12:44 PM
Another thought might be to sprinkle in a few levels of monk (deflect arrows might be a way to show the unflappability of the character).

Particle_Man
2020-10-16, 12:47 PM
I suppose a grey elf would have the arrogant butler routine down although I would need to explain why an int based grey elf did not study to be a wizard. Perhaps the alignment difference with his people?

Red Fel
2020-10-16, 03:31 PM
So I have an idea for a character that is a 3.5 rogue/assassin but is also trained as a butler (so at least five ranks in profession, um, butler I guess). Starting at level 6.

The idea is that he worked for an assassin's guild and joined, on their orders, a butler's guild, and then through them the household of a noble that wanted to root out the assassins. The noble hired a group of adventurers and they successfully destroyed the assassin's guild, except for the butler, who remained undetected. Having nothing else to turn to, he stayed on as butler for a few months, and then after the death of his master (who died a few months later, possibly by the butler in revenge, but possibly of natural causes; I haven't worked that out yet), was left in the master's will to one of the noble's relatives, part of another group of adventurers, as it happens.

So this guy is LE, but, lacking his original guild and seeking some sort of order in life, will obey his new Master. I figure that might be a way to have an LE character in an otherwise non-evil party without causing too much grief (there are other ways, but this one is mine). :smallbiggrin: He would explain that he had a "misspent youth" before becoming a butler, so that people might think that he was "just a rogue". And I think he would focus on the charisma skills open to an assassin, as well as hide and move silently and sense motive. So possibly a "face" character.

I might even stick to core on this, but I am not absolutely married to it. Obviously, this is not a high powered character, but might be interesting.

Anyhow, curious about people's thoughts.

I actually wrote a similar character long ago, except replace "rogue assassin" with "arrogant martial artist." He was a Warforged sold to a temple as a living, intelligent training dummy. Slash slave. Never said they were nice. He got knocked around so much that he learned by osmosis. And then - since he was alive and built from metal and wood - he proceeded to thrash them until they told him he could leave. He then proceeded to terrorize the local community as infamous thug "Iron Leg So," so called because he could kick through a wall if he became displeased. And because his name was "So."

After some time, he became dissatisfied with his chaotic, self-indulgent lifestyle - finding no meaning in it - and sought to return to the temple. But they were having none of it and told him to hit bricks - he was too violent, too self-indulgent and too dangerous to keep around. He decided that if he could not master himself, he would allow someone else to do it, and apprenticed himself to the butler of a nearby noble, who thought the notion of having a Warforged in a suit was "deliciously absurd." Over a decade later, Iron Leg So became Just So, butler to the household and a model of decorum and tranquility.

And then the PCs show up, and the local lord - or perhaps his son at this point - sends his butler along with them on whatever quest they're engaged in.

My point is: You can absolutely do a fun, disciplined butler with a mysterious and probably lethal past. You can play him as a stonefaced professional with his butlering background, or a suave manipulator who spent years studying how to appease and trick the snotty upper-crust twits for whom he worked. Sky's the limit. It's a great concept.

I will say, keep in mind, you can be a former "assassin" without the Assassin class. Not that it's a terrible class, per se - having spells is a strict upgrade over not having spells - but that I don't know whether it's an ideal fit for the character you describe.