PDA

View Full Version : >Shuriken Question<

Enzario
2007-11-02, 09:38 PM
Okay, so I'm wondering..
Is there any reason why you couldn't enchant shuriken with the returning property? If so, how many could you enchant at once? Thanks.

MCerberus
2007-11-02, 09:51 PM
They're considered thrown weapons, so they can be enchanted, but only 1 at a time for a cost of 1301gp each.

On this SRD (http://geocities.com/sovelior/srd/magicItemsAW.html) they are listed under uncommon weapons with a price modifier of +301gp... so no enchanting them like ammunition.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 09:52 PM
Shuriken are considered ammunition (instead of thrown weapons) for the purpose of creating special versions of them, and the returning property can't be applied to ammunition.

MCerberus
2007-11-02, 10:00 PM
Shuriken are considered ammunition (instead of thrown weapons) for the purpose of creating special versions of them, and the returning property can't be applied to ammunition.

Ah yes I looked under "magic items" and not under "weapons". It seems like a contradiction between the DMG and the PhB doesn't it.

Shuriken: A shuriken is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding shuriken special options. A shuriken can’t be used as a melee weapon.

Although they are thrown weapons, shuriken are treated as ammunition for the purposes of drawing them, crafting masterwork or otherwise special versions of them and what happens to them after they are thrown.

Under Common Ranged Weapons:
Ammunition (roll again):
01–50 Arrows (50) +350 gp
51–80 Bolts, crossbow (50) +350 gp
81–100 Bullets, sling (50) +350 gp

Under uncommon weapons:
83–84 Shuriken +301 gp

It seems that the listing of only 1 Shuriken being enchanted means it's a thrown weapon, but is said to be ammo in the equipment section... or they're trying to make sure that nobody tries to be a ranged monk.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 10:03 PM
Text trumps table, so the equipment text "wins".

Even if you could legally make returning shuriken, shuriken are still treated as ammunition for the purpose of determining what happens to them when they're thrown. Which means they're destroyed 50% of the time when they miss, and 100% of the time when they hit. So returning is kind of silly.

Chronos
2007-11-02, 10:33 PM
Note that "shuriken" is both the singular and the plural. So the entry in the table could mean that that's the cost of a stack of 50 of them.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 10:53 PM
Note that "shuriken" is both the singular and the plural. So the entry in the table could mean that that's the cost of a stack of 50 of them.While a good guess, the equipment table shows that 5 shuriken cost 1gp. So 50 shuriken would cost 10gp, and being ammunition the 300gp for masterwork is applied to the cost for 50.

So adding magic weapon properties to 50 shuriken would cost 310gp on top of the standard price of enhancing a weapon with the properties. (Note for the unaware, adding magic properties to a single piece of ammunition costs 1/50 the usual price)

MCerberus
2007-11-02, 11:03 PM
So the general consensus: The uncommon weapon chart is wrong about shurekan. Treat them like ammo. No returning.

KoDT69
2007-11-02, 11:27 PM
I personally would treat them as a thrown weapon in my own campaign if one of my players wanted to use them. What real harm is there in having a few returning shurikens? Or 6? For what you get, 1300gp each is a lot of gold, and the item won't break the game in the least. Heck, make em +1 returning and flaming burst... The melee guys will still outshine the monk or ninja or whatever.

Jasdoif
2007-11-02, 11:54 PM
I personally would treat them as a thrown weapon in my own campaign if one of my players wanted to use them. What real harm is there in having a few returning shurikens? Or 6? For what you get, 1300gp each is a lot of gold, and the item won't break the game in the least. Heck, make em +1 returning and flaming burst... The melee guys will still outshine the monk or ninja or whatever.It'd be 2,300gp and 2sp for a single +1 shuriken, actually. :smalltongue:

More seriously, I'd just use a fluff-enhanced dagger if I wanted to give a player a "super-shuriken" like you're suggesting, with provisions for weapon-specific abilities of course. An extra 1.8gp to get +1 average damage (assuming a Medium creature), doubled threat range, the ability to deal slashing or piercing damage and can use it as a melee weapon? Yes please.

AslanCross
2007-11-03, 12:07 AM
I agree, pretending a dagger is a shuriken is a lot more mechanically feasible. It also does more damage.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-03, 05:50 AM
Take a level of bloodstorm Blade from ToB for Returning throws and throw anything.

Clementx
2007-11-03, 09:12 AM
I agree, pretending a dagger is a shuriken is a lot more mechanically feasible. It also does more damage.
But you then need Quick Draw to spam them, since they aren't actually ammunition. That being said, if you want a throwing weapon, use the dart, since that is basically a poorly-fluffed throwing knife. Or make the shuriken a martial weapon, like it should be based on its weak stats.

Starbuck_II
2007-11-03, 10:49 AM

To be Fair, returning can if it is a Relic Item. MIC has Raotor arrows. THey are +1 returning arrows. They don't break on impact.

Yeril
2007-11-03, 02:17 PM
I usualy treat ammunition like thrown weapons if you make them "indestructable" on contact, so a +1 Arrow would be 1300gp and 1sp.

A +2 Cold Iron Returning Arrow would cost 20300gp and 2sp.

Likewise a +1 Distance Returning Shuriken would cost 18300gp and 2sp

atleast thats how I handle it :smallsmile:

Feralgeist
2007-11-04, 07:42 AM
or you could just use those gauntlets from magic item compendium that make you create unlimited daggers per day that vanish after 3 rounds, and change it to shuriken

KillianHawkeye
2007-11-04, 08:06 AM
But you then need Quick Draw to spam them, since they aren't actually ammunition. That being said, if you want a throwing weapon, use the dart, since that is basically a poorly-fluffed throwing knife. Or make the shuriken a martial weapon, like it should be based on its weak stats.

Actually, since they are considered ammunition, it is in fact a free action to draw a shuriken. Thus, you no longer need Quick Draw as you did in 3.0.

Clementx
2007-11-04, 10:09 AM
Actually, since they are considered ammunition, it is in fact a free action to draw a shuriken. Thus, you no longer need Quick Draw as you did in 3.0.
Except I was talking about AslanCross's suggestion of just using daggers. Which do require Quickdraw. Which is why I quoted him.