PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Pros and cons of the Mists Domain for a cleric in a Ravenloft setting

Adar
2020-10-16, 01:19 PM
I'm about to join a play-by-post game set in Ravenloft, 3.5e. I haven't played 3.5 in 17 years, so I'm really rusty. And I've never played in a Ravenloft setting, ever. The DM is not allowing anything from the Forgotten Realms setting. Basically I get to choose between stuff from the PHB or the Ravenloft campaign setting.

I want to play a dwarf cleric and rolled one up, had her a devotee of Moradin. But, I also decided to pick up a copy of the Ravenloft campaign setting so I could understand the place better, and I just got it in the mail yesterday.

Originally I had the cleric go with Moradin using earth and protection domains. But I just read about Ezra and the mists domain, and I'm curious about it.

Can anyone with more experience tell me more? Is it fun to play? For power or flavor? Pros and cons? I need to get my character set by Sunday, so I could change it up if I wanted to.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

animewatcha
2020-10-16, 01:44 PM
You are going to need to include mists domain power and the spells it grants. Googling has 5e and homebrew ( for 5e and 3.5e ) mixing amongst the result.
Also, get with the DM about the Dispel Fog spell from Shining South. It can cause a creature in mist or fog form to be forced ( regardless of save unless they have something like hexblade mettle ) to assume another shape. A vampire when it's hp reached to 0 goes into to mist form to return to coffin, etc. etc. etc. Disfunction likes in casting dispel fog while it is in mist form in this state of it's emergency.

Adar
2020-10-16, 01:52 PM
Ok. Here's the domain as per the campaign setting:

Granted Power: Once per day, you may call on the shield of Ezra, a film of luminous mist that envelops your body for one round per cleric level. The form of protection granted is determined by your alignment. (My character would be LG so that would be: 25/+5 damage reduction vs. metal weapons.) This is a supernatural ability.

These are the Mists Domain Spells:
Obscuring Mist. Fog surrounds you.
Fog Cloud. Fog obscures vision.
Gaseous Form. Subject becomes insubstantial and can fly slowly.
Solid Fog. Blocks vision and slows movement.
Mind Fog. Subjects in fog suffer -10 Wis, Will checks.
Wind Walk. You and your allies turn vaporous and travel quickly.
Teleport Without Error. Mists instantly transport you anywhere, with no off-target arrival.
Vanish. Mists instantly transport a touched object.
Imprisonment. Traps subject within the Mists.

ETA: Purple text is a spell I missed when I first listed these and edited in.

animewatcha
2020-10-16, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that. Will need to check into the DR cause that high a value makes it seem like the book is 3.0 era. Also that is 8 spells. Domains generally have 9.

Adar
2020-10-16, 02:19 PM
Also that is 8 spells. Domains generally have 9.

That would be because I screwed up. Adding in the one I skipped over accidentally now. Sorry!

weckar
2020-10-16, 05:49 PM
It is a 3.0 book, yes, but that DR is powerful, but it isn't stupidly powerful (Page 55 if anyone cares to check). The LN protection is much more gamebreaking early on.

In your case, the protection it offers is going to come at a great social cost. The Mist domain is ONLY available to the Lawful Neutral sect of Anchorites from Borca. Being LG in Borca is... just about a terrible idea, as the realm as a whole leans strongly towards LE (moreso L than E). Ezra themself is effectively an outcast of the 'gods' of Ravenloft, so don't expect other religions to come to your aid, either. Also, you're bound to have an even more uncomfortable relationship with any Vistani you meet than most would.

So, sure, get your amazing shield and okay spell list. Your church is fractured, twisted, misunderstood, shunned and most likely based on a lie. Plus, it won't shield you from the werewolves and vampires anyway.
Welcome to Ravenloft.