PDA

View Full Version : Planning a hex crawl looking for random encounter charts.

Throne12
2020-10-16, 03:20 PM
So I have my map and the party was just tasked with trying to find a evil Druid. I have plot devices all ready placed on the map but its a hex crawl so I need random encounter charts to roll on when they go to a hex with no plot device. As they search for the Druid.

Kurt Kurageous
2020-10-16, 03:37 PM
So I have my map and the party was just tasked with trying to find a evil Druid. I have plot devices all ready placed on the map but its a hex crawl so I need random encounter charts to roll on when they go to a hex with no plot device. As they search for the Druid.

May I suggest that, instead of using a random number, you just list out the names of monsters you think might be there, and then pick when the mood feels right.

I don't roll dice anymore to see what happens next. I'm the DM. If I don't know, nobody knows. And I'm never so bored that I want to be surprised by the next thing that happens.

CR is not precise. If you try to follow the DMG for multiple foes, it gets really really difficult. Don't. Consider assigning numbers of monsters equal to the party as a baseline, and see how it plays out. Throw encounters at them that make them think, "That was easy." The point of the encounter is a distraction.

Have a plan for your druid. Note the major steps/milestones. Move the druid along this path as time passes, or more specifically, as the party wastes time/rolls a 19 or 20 on the encounter die. Wince, act worried, or laugh evilly when they get a 19 or 20. This creates tension and dread. Never explain what's happened (the druid advanced a step in its plan) unless there's effects the party can sense.

There are tons of rand gen lists on the net. Notice how they aren't very expensive? You get what you pay for.

Sorinth
2020-10-16, 08:04 PM
I don't have an encounter table but instead of just having random encounters I would suggest a counter system. Basically as they travel through the hexes depending on their actions the counter will go up or down, once it hits a certain number then the druid's minions find the party and attack and the counter resets.

So for example moving into a hex would increment the counter by 1 or 0 if everyone succeeds a DC 10 stealth check. A combat increments the counter by 1 for every 2 rounds of combat. Except for some specific locations a short rest increments it by 1, a long rest by 3. But the special locations could nullify or even reduce/reset the counter to 0. Certain spells could also increase/decrease the counter, Rope Trick or Pass Without Trace might reduce it, but any flashy spells like Fireball or Thunderwave would increase the counter.

You could even have seemingly nothing hexes that are basically traps that will increase. For example, the party comes across a clearing and hear some songbirds, maybe there's even something enticing in the clearing. But if pass through the clearing then one of the birds reports back to the druid and the counter increases by 5, if they avoid the clearing then no increment.

Asisreo1
2020-10-16, 09:21 PM
For the love of Bahamut, please don't only put monsters in your encounter table.

Its tempting to think "random encounter" means "random combat to expend resources" but it doesn't have to be.

Have a discovery that can occur randomly, something like a clue into the druid's past or weakness or something that will be overall beneficial.

Also, don't try to keep things balanced all the time or even predictable.

Don't be afraid to put 4d4 kobolds rather than just 10.