PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ways to implement/flesh out character idea

SangoProduction
2020-10-17, 12:36 AM
I was reading over the Spheres of Power Casting Traditions, and came upon Unstable Storage, which basically states that your pool of mana is exceedingly obvious to anyone nearby, and at low power, you become increasingly fatigued.

And the first thing that pops into my mind was "Fuel tank." A huge, clear, fuel tank. On a robo-magical exoskeleton suit. Losing magical power means you have to actually carry it around, rather than the other way, thus the fatigue-like effects. It's so perfect!

"So...mechanical brute, cool. Maybe alchemical in some respect....any specific capabilities that might help to flesh out the idea?"
... Uh... I mean... maybe he could spit / throw chemicals in people's faces. That's kinda rude, in a British sort of way. Also just being an unstoppable juggernaut kinda fits the image.

Of course, people often joked (like 5 years ago) that super strength is just 0-range telekinesis... SoP's telekinesis sphere doesn't seem to be quite super, but it's...something. Might need to review the sphere later. (Although not even being able to naturally lift a a particularly fluffy kitty until level 3 doesn't bode well.)

Other than that, I'm kinda stumped. I mean, heavy armor would probably be appropriate, but really any armor could be justified by how much of a suit vs exoskeleton it is. So not super neccesary. I do like the idea of using Armorist to just summon "the suit" around him and his fuel tank. Like some sort of corrupted magical girl. Or perhaps a power ranger. Warforged / Android is also an obvious choice, although they are less "exoskeleton" and more...oh my god that works so well. You *actually* run out of fuel. OK, I'll definitely keep that in the back pocket.

I'm just...really kinda wanting to make this character a thing, and I have no idea what I could really do to flesh it out, let alone create a build for it. So I turn to the greatest D&D minds in the ... this forum. And the not so great minds. Feel free to answer. I'm open to ideas.

Dr_Dinosaur
2020-10-18, 07:08 PM
It really depends on what you want your android to *do* though I'd suggest adding Vulnerable Spellcaster to the tradition if you really want to treat spell points as "fuel"

You mentioned wanting to be strong and have an "alchemical" spray attack, so maybe a Mageknight? The Martial archetype would get you options like Brute (Muscular Surge) for a temporary boost to strength checks that stacks with Strength bonuses from the Enhancement sphere, or various Alchemy formulae to deliver as breath weapons through Shaped Alchemy (free with the Alchemical Dragon drawback). You don't really need Telekinesis for super strength until well after it'll start scaling up, though a Mageknight can take Protokinesis feats as a Mystic Combat option if you want some cool tricks like personal shielding and extra arms

Alternatively, a Whitesmith Armorist or Nanite Bloodrager maybe?