PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Simplifying the Bonus Types list

DhanaRagnarok
2020-10-17, 03:09 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm still pretty new to D&D 3.5 compared to most (only 2 years and counting), but even I know that there is so many different types of bonus that it kind of defeat their purpose. More than that though, I find that my players have a hard time remembering what stacks with what, what can't be stacked, and what goes stackity-cheesity into the night. The official SRD list of bonus types is pretty imposing, with 18 types + untyped:

Ability Modifier
Alchemical Bonus
Armor Bonus
Circumstance Modifier
Competence Modifier
Deflection Bonus
Dodge Bonus
Enhancement Bonus
Insight Bonus
Luck Modifier
Morale Modifier
Natural Armor Bonus
Profane Modifier
Racial Bonus
Resistance Bonus
Sacred Modifier
Shield Bonus
Size Modifier
+ Untyped Bonuses

And that's not counting the non-SRD types like divine, exalted, epic...

I've been working on making the list more manageable for beginners. The aim isn't to reduce cheese here, even if some of the changes below should help a bit.
Here are my suggested changes, in order or the easiest to implement to the more complex:

1) Make Size Modifier an untyped bonus
Why exactly to we need a specific type for size bonuses, anyway? :smallconfused: The idea of most bonus type is to prevent you from stacking bonuses of the same type but...How are you going to stack size bonuses? You can't be 2 sizes at the same time, can you? Because I can't remember seeing the spell Schrödinger's Enlarge1 anywhere. Even something like Powerful Build mentions that you keep the best modifier between your actual size and the next larger.

2) Make Resistance Bonus an untyped bonus too
I have only found magical sources for Resistance Bonuses: the spells Resistance, Greater Resistance, Protection against [Alignment] or Circle against [Alignment] all offer Resistance Bonuses, and are used in the creation of magical items like the Cape of Resistance, but no mundane item, race, feat or class I could find gives Resistance Bonuses to saves: Items are mostly Alchemical Bonuses, Races are obviously Racial bonuses, and some feats and classes grant untyped bonuses.
Instead of using a type specifically for a handful of spells, instead add the following to the spells granting Resistance Bonuses, and change them to untyped:

The bonus to saves granted by this spell/item does not stack with any other spell or magical item granting bonuses to all saves. They still stack with any bonus or penalty applying only on Fortitude, Reflexes or Will.

3) Make Racial Bonus also an untyped bonus.
Same thought process as Size: how can you be 2 races at once anyway? Well, there is one situation that fits, and that's a creature with a template: the "vampire" template, for example, grants a Racial Bonus of +8 in several skills like Bluff among others.
If you turn Racial Bonuses into untyped bonuses, you invite anyone willing to spend 2 hours doing the calculations and 2 days writing the backstory to create an absurdly complex character with dozens of templates sending the RNG packing. If you still want to be able to stack templates on top of each others (and there are plenty of reasonable templates that could be stacked without making your DM froth at the mouth, to be fair), you could simply state the following:

Untyped modifiers granted by races and templates do not stack with each other. Only the highest modifier applies. Other untyped modifiers stack, even with untyped modifiers granted by races and templates, unless otherwise specified.

4) Fold Insight and Luck under Circumstance Modifiers.
I can't think of a single spell, item, feat (...or anything really) granting Circumstance Modifiers. Alternatively, I can't think of any non-magical (not spells, items, SLAs, artifacts, magical diseases...) source of Insight bonuses. I think there is a few feats in Complete Scoundrel granting Luck bonuses, but otherwise it is mostly magical in nature too.
Insight and Luck are already quite similar in concept (asking for foresight from gods/magic/nature to get a bonus VS asking for a bonus from gods/nature/magic) and it seems that most of the time you'll get them from Divination spells.
I suggest rewriting the Circumstance Modifier definition as such:

A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand. Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source. Circumstances bonuses granted by spells, magic items or any other magic effect or ability (including supernatural abilities) are considered as arising from the same source.
I tried my best to keep the definition as clear as possible. This makes stacking Insight and Luck bonuses impossible. Of course, any feat granting Luck bonuses that isn't noted as supernatural should be for this to work as intended, so the Luck Bonus should be replaced by a Circumstance Bonus with this mention tackled under it:

The effects of this feat come from luck granted by a higher power. As such, it is a supernatural ability.

5) Fuse Profane and Sacred into Alignment Modifiers.
Keeping what is essentially "Evil modifiers" and "Good modifiers" separate leads to the rather strange possibility that a character could receive bonus from both, which could work for a Neutral character but seems pretty niche. Especially given that if forces of Good and Evil really want to grant boons to the same character (A LN character facing a Chaotic aberration getting help from both LG and LE entities being the only example that comes to mind) there is nothing stopping them from going for any other bonus type or untyped bonuses.
Still, fusing the two and making them not stack would make anyone with a powerful bonus from a Good source be immune to penalties from an Evil source and vice-versa. To keep this from happening, this new modifier type must work a bit differently from most:

An alignment bonus (or penalty) stems from the powers of good and evil. Multiple alignment bonuses on the same character or object do not stack, regardless of the source of the bonus. Only the highest alignment bonus applies. If alignment bonuses and alignment penalties from opposite side on the morality spectrum apply to the same character or object, the worst alignment penalty stacks with the best alignment bonus.
I find that approach leads to a good balance: Playing both side of the Good vs Evil conflict won't grant you a massive boon compared to dedicating yourself to one ideology, but picking a side won't completely protect you from the other either, merely "cushion the blow" of a curse sent your way.

6) Fuse Armor, Natural Armor and Shield into Physical Defense Modifiers.
That one is going to be a hard sale. We want to let these bonuses stack, but not if we end up with ridiculous-looking but unstoppable tanks wearing seven layers of full-plate. So in addition to that new type definition, we need a few rules.

A physical defense bonus applies to Armor Class and is granted by armor, natural armor and shields. Physical defense bonuses stack with all other bonuses to Armor Class. A physical defense bonus doesn't apply against touch attacks.
I was certain the following rule already existed, but I can't find it online in the SRD and I don't have access to my books rn, so:

If an armor is worn over another armor, only penalties (armor check penalty, arcane spell failure) stack. Only apply the highest physical defense bonus.
Now that we have prevented the full-plate Napoleon cake, we also need to handle shields:

A shield only counts as such when held, otherwise it is classified as armor (Light armor for light and heavy shields, Heavy armor for tower shields).
You can dual-wield light and heavy shields, but not tower shields.

The first rule prevent people from using more shields than they have arms to hold them (+1 if they don't have armor, which seems reasonable, especially given that they make pretty terrible alternatives to actual armor). The second rule prevents from getting a +18 bonus by dual-wielding +5 enhanced tower shields, but won't stop you from getting a similarly powerful +14 dual-wielding heavy shields. Thus, we need to do something about Enhancement Modifiers to shields and armors too:

An enhancement bonus represents an increase in the sturdiness and/or effectiveness of armor or natural armor, or the effectiveness of a weapon, or a general bonus to an ability score. Multiple enhancement bonuses on the same object (in the case of armor, shields and weapons), creature (in the case of natural armor), or ability score do not stack. Enhancement bonuses on multiple armors worn by the same creature do not stack, the same goes with multiple shields. Only the highest enhancement bonus applies. Since enhancement bonuses to armor, natural armor or shield effectively increase the armor, natural armor or shield's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks.
Here. At most, you will get +2 AC by dual-wielding shields compared to what you would get with a similar build using the RAW. You still lose the Physical Defense Bonus to AC of a shield after a shield bash action, so that +2 AC only applies if you are not hitting anything. I'd say it's still powerful at low level, but at mid to high level I think the terrible damage output balances the increased bonus.
The existing rule preventing stacking of enhancement bonus on the same creature already prevents natural armor enhancement abuse.

But quid of spells? Mage armor for example could grant a wizard ridiculously high AC if they decided to burn all of their 1st-level spells on it, each time gaining +4 AC for 1 hour/level, essentially making a high-level wizard impervious to damage for hours on end. How to solve that?
Here is my suggestion:

Spells and magical effects that granted Armor, Natural Armor or Shield Bonuses now grant Enhancement Bonuses. If there is no armor/natural armor/shield to enhance, the target's skin or clothing is considered as a +0 armor/natural armor/shield for the sake of the spell or magical effect.

I find that keeping magical bonuses as Enhancement Bonuses, which are already exclusively (or quasi-exclusively) magical in nature works well.
Because it is an Enhancement Bonus on existing armor/natural armor/shield, it doesn't apply against touch attacks.
Finally, Enhancement Bonuses still do not stack, so no force-plate Napoleon cake either.

Incidentally, it also solves the issue of stacking multiple kinds of natural armors (not enhancements, but straight-up different kinds, like thick fur and scales and a shell) I only just noticed writing this. There can't be that many non-magical ways to add a brand-new kind of natural armor to a creature (maybe some obscure alchemical items? But then you can just rewrite these as alchemical bonuses...).

My main worry with that solution is that you can't combine enchanted armor with a Mage Armor spell effectively (same with an enchanted shield and a Shield spell). That would make spellcasters squishier, as Mage Armor or Shield (and other similar spells) are targeted on self. Your pick if it is a good or bad thing. :smallwink:

In the end, here's the new list of Bonus Types, reduced to 10 types + untyped:

Ability Modifier. Granted by your abilities scores.

Alchemical Bonus. Granted by non-magical substances.

Alignment Bonus (Replaces Profane/Sacred). Granted by Good or Evil sources.

Circumstance Modifier (Includes Luck and Insight). Granted by the specific circumstances of a given roll, including foresight and (supernatural) luck.

Competence Modifier. Granted by one's skill in a given task.

Deflection Bonus. Granted to AC by spells and effects deflecting attacks.

Dodge Bonus. Granted to AC by extraordinary or supernatural agility, which can stack with themselves.

Enhancement Bonus. Granted by spells and other magical sources.

Morale Modifier. Granted by the state of mind of the character.

Physical Defense Bonus (Replaces Armor, Natural Armor and Shield). Granted to AC by the character's body and equipment, which can stack (with limitations) with themselves.
+ Untyped Bonuses (Includes Size, Racial and Resistance). Every bonus not fitting in one of the above types.

That seems streamlined enough to be clear for new players, although after checking a couple Diplomancer builds it doesn't affect them much. The cheese lives! :roach:

Quick notes on Bonus types not in the SRD:

Synergy bonuses: They are untyped in 3.5 and that's great. I'd change the bonus from a flat +2 to a +1+(number of synergies for the same skill), so that instead of getting a +6 synergy bonus to Diplomacy from Bluff, Knowledge (nobility) and Sense Motive, it turns into a more manageable +4.
Inherent bonuses: The bonuses you get from Wish/Miracle or from reading Tomes. I think they are untyped in 3.5, and they are limited to +5 on any ability. Nothing much to say on these.
Exalted, Perfection, Epic...: All these bonuses share the same fate of being confined to, AFAIK, a single book. That should leave them limited enough in scope that a solution similar to my conversion of Resistance Bonuses to untyped should be applicable.

Thank you if you've read all the way down here!
R&R is welcome as this hasn't been playtested yet and could probably use some polish - especially when it comes to obscure sources for a bonus type I might have missed.

1I suddenly find myself in desperate need of a Schrödinger's Enlarge homebrew. I'll add that to the pile...

NigelWalmsley
2020-10-17, 11:11 PM
6) Fuse Armor, Natural Armor and Shield into Physical Defense Modifiers.

I don't understand the benefit of this one. It seems to me that you're basically proposing a state of affairs that is like what we have now, but instead of being derived sensibly from general rules it requires a bunch of specific fiddly declarations. These bonuses don't change much in play, so there's little practical benefit to simplifying them.

DhanaRagnarok
2020-10-18, 09:00 AM
That one needs a bit of context.
My players really got involved in gritty RP, and they enjoy the idea that their weapons, shields and armors can be destroyed by the enemy. That leads to them carrying spares, collecting the armor of fallen foes and changing their gear regularly. Between that and the fact they will actually take of their armors before sleeping, that leads to having to recalculate their AC on the go pretty often.
That in itself isn't an issue, but some of them have difficulties remembering what grants Touch AC and what doesn't, same with Flat-Footed AC.

As I was already working on simplifying the bonus types, I figured I could do something to remove that issue - which lead to the Physical Defense Bonus.
With the Size Modifier becoming untyped, it left their AC looking like [10 + Physical Defense Bonus + Dexterity + Dodge + Parry* + Misc.] instead of [10 + Armor + Shield + Dexterity + Size + Natural Armor + Dodge + Parry* + Misc.]
*The character sheets I found use Parry instead of Deflection.

Now I can just tell them to remove Physical Defense Bonus to get Touch AC, and for Flat-Footed AC to remove the "D" bonuses. We haven't tried it yet in-game but they seemed enthusiastic.
...Though now that i think about it just changing the sheets to [10 + ( Armor + Shield + Natural Armor ) + ( Dexterity + Dodge ) + Parry + Misc.] would probably have worked too :smalleek:

Unavenger
2020-10-18, 09:23 AM
Forgive me if I've missed the point, but I don't really see the point of this. In order to use this fix, you already need to have read and understood the rules on bonus stacking anyway, and then you need to apply some changes to overrule half of the bonus types. But, once you know how having bonus types works (in general, bonuses of the same type don't stack) then you can make as many new bonus types as you like on the fly - if I have a +4 jackhammer bonus to charisma, a +2 metamorphosis bonus to charisma and a +4 metamorphosis bonus to charisma, I know that those add up to +8. It's not that complicated and the complexity doesn't really, well, stack as you add more bonus types.

What you're doing here is almost more complicated, because you're replacing the general rule ("Bonuses of the same type don't stack") with a lot of specific rules ("Bonuses derived from your race don't stack with other bonuses derived from your race. Also, bonuses from this specific magic item don't stack with other bonuses that don't have a type and that do apply to all saves. Let's rewrite the armour rules while we're at it"). To return to my silly example, I can no longer refer to jackhammer bonuses on the fly; instead I have to create a new separate rule which states that all bonuses derived from jackhammers don't stack with other bonuses derived from jackhammers. I then have to create another rule that bonuses from metamorphosis don't stack, except I then have to be very careful about what I mean when I say "From metamorphosis" because then DMs will wonder if that includes any bonuses you gain from manifesting the metamorphosis power, or indeed from metamorphosing in general, when all that I wanted was to create a new subset of things that don't stack with other things in the subset.

tl;dr there's no good reason to do this.

Also I question the logic of allowing dual-shielding to, well, do things. It actually makes a surprisingly good TWF build if you have improved shield bash, and it shouldn't because dual-shielding is really silly.

ngilop
2020-10-18, 09:52 AM
Yeah....

I do not understand this at all.

Why replace a pretty simple and easy to remember rule with something that takes significantly more calculations to arrive at the same end?

The issue to me doesn't seem to be not knowing what stacks and what applies, because in both you have to know and calculate that, But the fact the DM keeps making them fight in various stages of un-dressing.

How about the DM just stops sending guys to ambush them after they go to sleep/ as they are preparing to go to sleep and are in the process of undressing for combat? OR as normal, they get armor. If they are continually using different armors after every battle, that just means the fights the DM is throwing at them are not good fights. example: fighters get +2 full plate... fighter SHOULD have +2 full plate for a couple levels NOT dropping his armor after one fight and putting on the studded leather.

Seems like a much more simple fix to me.

Morphic tide
2020-10-18, 04:41 PM
I'd go with rolling Luck into Circumstance, Insight and Moral into Competence, Size and Natural Armor into Racial, Shield into Dodge, Profane into Sacred, and Deflection and Resistance into Enhancement. Then Armor bonuses become a thing you receive a bonus to, then actual armor becomes a new "Equipment Bonus" for bonuses about you using an object with advantageous qualities over your innate properties, and what the bonus applies to becomes a universal specification to avoid the ambiguities of Touch AC or not.

This avoids having untyped bonuses hanging around because "you can't stack them", just in case there actually is a case where you can stack them, and gives us the following bonus types:

1. Ability, for the static ability scores
2. Alchemical, for mundane but non-innate bonuses, typically drugs
3. Circumstance, for the situation, covering pure fortune in all forms
4. Competence, for your actual performance, covering Insight and Moral advantages
5. Dodge, for any factor of specific reaction, no longer limited to Touch AC
6. Enhancement, for any worldly supernatural advantages over your default capabilities.
7. Equipment, for physical objects one carries that provide a benefit to the given task
8. Racial, for any factor of one's anatomy, including their size
9. Sacred, for any otherworldly supernatural advantage, regardless of character

Fully halved, respects the fluff somewhat more, concisely covers almost all the fluff-space to take out the Untyped Bonus with, and avoids the complained-about additional complexities of your armor proposal by going the direction of making all bonuses specified (which means "rolling with the punch" Dodge bonuses to regular AC). Exalted and Vile become Sacred, because they're all extraplanar rewards for behavior, Corrupt splits between Enhancement or Racial depending on if it's more about the magical influence or the physical mutation, Epic becomes Competence, and so on.

Vaern
2020-10-18, 06:06 PM
1) Make Size Modifier an untyped bonus
Why exactly to we need a specific type for size bonuses, anyway? :smallconfused:The idea of most bonus type is to prevent you from stacking bonuses of the same type but...How are you going to stack size bonuses? You can't be 2 sizes at the same time, can you? Because I can't remember seeing the spell Schrödinger's Enlarge1 anywhere. Even something like Powerful Build mentions that you keep the best modifier between your actual size and the next larger.
[FONT=verdana]
Size modifier isn't really a bonus. It's a static adjustment that's applied as a creature advances from one size category to the next. The SRD entry regarding advancing a character through size categories does note that if a character should increase size multiple times then its stats are adjusted multiple times: A creature advancing from medium to large gains +8 str and -2 dex, a creature advancing from large to huge gains +8 str and -2 dex, and therefore a creature advancing from medium to huge gains +16 str and -4 dex.

Size bonuses granted by spells are worth noting. Magical effects that increase size don't stack with each other. There are occasions where you could potentially use something like enlarge person and animal growth on a single target. Stacking those effect would not cause the creature to grow two size categories. However, if the bonuses granted by the spells were untyped, one might argue that their ability scores would still be adjusted by both spells and effectively grant the target the stats of a huge creature despite only being large.
As a random example, a druid can share spells he casts on himself with his animal companion through its share spells feature, even if the animal companion wouldn't normally be a valid target; thus, the druid can cast animal growth on his animal companion and then enlarge person on himself the have both effects active on the animal companion.

2) Make Resistance Bonus an untyped bonus too
I have only found magical sources for Resistance Bonuses: the spells Resistance, Greater Resistance, Protection against [Alignment] or Circle against [Alignment] all offer Resistance Bonuses, and are used in the creation of magical items like the Cape of Resistance, but no mundane item, race, feat or class I could find gives Resistance Bonuses to saves: Items are mostly Alchemical Bonuses, Races are obviously Racial bonuses, and some feats and classes grant untyped bonuses.
Instead of using a type specifically for a handful of spells, instead add the following to the spells granting Resistance Bonuses, and change them to untyped:
Not every effect that adds a resistance bonus applies to all saving throws. The Magic Tattoo spell lets you craft a tattoo that grants a resistance bonus only to a single type of saving throw. Belt of dwarvenkind adds a resistance bonus to saves against poisons and spells, which would not apply against things like traps. Basically, you're creating turning a typed bonus into an untyped bonus that arbitrarily doesn't stack with other untyped bonuses but kind of awkwardly stacks with similar bonuses that it previously wouldn't have stacked with.

3) Make Racial Bonus also an untyped bonus.
Same thought process as Size: how can you be 2 races at once anyway? Well, there is one situation that fits, and that's a creature with a template: the "vampire" template, for example, grants a Racial Bonus of +8 in several skills like Bluff among others.
If you turn Racial Bonuses into untyped bonuses, you invite anyone willing to spend 2 hours doing the calculations and 2 days writing the backstory to create an absurdly complex character with dozens of templates sending the RNG packing. If you still want to be able to stack templates on top of each others (and there are plenty of reasonable templates that could be stacked without making your DM froth at the mouth, to be fair), you could simply state the following:
Making the bonus untyped for the sake of letting people break the game more easily seems like a bad idea, and if you have to write a special rule requiring that untyped bonuses of the same type don't stack with each other then you might as well just make them a typed bonus.

4) Fold Insight and Luck under Circumstance Modifiers.
I can't think of a single spell, item, feat (...or anything really) granting Circumstance Modifiers. Alternatively, I can't think of any non-magical (not spells, items, SLAs, artifacts, magical diseases...) source of Insight bonuses. I think there is a few feats in Complete Scoundrel granting Luck bonuses, but otherwise it is mostly magical in nature too.
Insight and Luck are already quite similar in concept (asking for foresight from gods/magic/nature to get a bonus VS asking for a bonus from gods/nature/magic) and it seems that most of the time you'll get them from Divination spells.
I suggest rewriting the Circumstance Modifier definition as such:
I tried my best to keep the definition as clear as possible. This makes stacking Insight and Luck bonuses impossible. Of course, any feat granting Luck bonuses that isn't noted as supernatural should be for this to work as intended, so the Luck Bonus should be replaced by a Circumstance Bonus with this mention tackled under it:
So basically, you're turning three types of bonuses into one type of bonus in an awkward way where it sometimes stacks with itself and sometimes doesn't in such a way as to try remaining consistent with the way it was when they were three separate bonus types. It seems so awkward and unnecessary... why not simplify things and just leave them as three separate bonus types?

5) Fuse Profane and Sacred into Alignment Modifiers.
Keeping what is essentially "Evil modifiers" and "Good modifiers" separate leads to the rather strange possibility that a character could receive bonus from both, which could work for a Neutral character but seems pretty niche. Especially given that if forces of Good and Evil really want to grant boons to the same character (A LN character facing a Chaotic aberration getting help from both LG and LE entities being the only example that comes to mind) there is nothing stopping them from going for any other bonus type or untyped bonuses.
Still, fusing the two and making them not stack would make anyone with a powerful bonus from a Good source be immune to penalties from an Evil source and vice-versa. To keep this from happening, this new modifier type must work a bit differently from most:
I find that approach leads to a good balance: Playing both side of the Good vs Evil conflict won't grant you a massive boon compared to dedicating yourself to one ideology, but picking a side won't completely protect you from the other either, merely "cushion the blow" of a curse sent your way.
Profane and sacred bonuses have always seemed kind of odd to me, considering many spells can grant both depending on the alignment of the caster. As far as I can find in the spell compendium, though, there's only one instance apiece of a sacred penalty and a profane penalty - both opposing bard spells that affect a divine spellcaster's abilities to turn and rebuke undead. Your change would stop sacred and profane from stacking, but it wouldn't really be doing anything in terms of penalties.
Instead, I'd rewrite the two bonuses to counteract each other, rather than having bonuses counteract penalties that only kind of technically exist. If you have both a sacred bonus and a profane bonus, they cancel each other out. Your final bonus is the difference between the two. If one spell would give you a +2 sacred bonus to saving throws and another would grant you a +3 profane bonus, the sacred bonus would reduce the profane bonus by 2 an ultimately leave you with an overall bonus of +1. Let penalties stack, though; if the forces of good and evil both hate you that much, you probably deserve it.

6) Fuse Armor, Natural Armor and Shield into Physical Modifiers.
That one is going to be a hard sale. We want to let these bonuses stack, but not if we end up with ridiculous-looking but unstoppable tanks wearing seven layers of full-plate. So in addition to that new type definition, we need a few rules.

I was certain the following rule already existed, but I can't find it online in the SRD and I don't have access to my books rn, so:

Now that we have prevented the full-plate Napoleon cake, we also need to handle shields:

The first rule prevent people from using more shields than they have arms to hold them (+1 if they don't have armor, which seems reasonable, especially given that they make pretty terrible alternatives to actual armor). The second rule prevents from getting a +18 bonus by dual-wielding +5 enhanced tower shields, but won't stop you from getting a similarly powerful +14 dual-wielding heavy shields. Thus, we need to do something about Enhancement Modifiers to shields and armors too:

Here. At most, you will get +2 AC by dual-wielding shields compared to what you would get with a similar build using the RAW. You still lose the Physical Defense Bonus to AC of a shield after a shield bash action, so that +2 AC only applies if you are not hitting anything. I'd say it's still powerful at low level, but at mid to high level I think the terrible damage output balances the increased bonus.
The existing rule preventing stacking of enhancement bonus on the same creature already prevents natural armor enhancement abuse.

But quid of spells? Mage armor for example could grant a wizard ridiculously high AC if they decided to burn all of their 1st-level spells on it, each time gaining +4 AC for 1 hour/level, essentially making a high-level wizard impervious to damage for hours on end. How to solve that?
Here is my suggestion:

I find that keeping magical bonuses as Enhancement Bonuses, which are already exclusively (or quasi-exclusively) magical in nature works well.
Because it is an Enhancement Bonus on existing [FONT=verdana][SIZE=2]armor/natural armor/shield, it doesn't apply against touch attacks.
Finally, Enhancement Bonuses still do not stack, so noforce-plate Napoleon cake either.

So basically, you're turning three types of bonuses into one type of bonus in an awkward way where it sometimes stacks with itself and sometimes doesn't in such a way as to try remaining consistent with the way it was when they were three separate bonus types. It seems so awkward and unnecessary... why not simplify things and just leave them as three separate bonus types?