PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Keidran (Critique please)

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-02, 11:11 PM
Made this a long time ago but it seems to have dropped off the map. This comes from the webcomic TwoKinds (http://www.2kinds.com/). I just adjusted it for D&D and tried filling in a few holes.

Racial Stats

Keidran (Kee-dren)

Physical Description: Looks like a hybrid-form Lycanthrope. Animal depends on clan (see clans)

Ability Mods: Depends on clan

Racial Features:

= Medium
= Low Light Vision 60’
= -2 on diplomacy checks vs. Non-Keidran
= +2 to diplomacy checks vs. Keidran, +4 if target is of same clan
= Once per month for 1 week females enter a week-long “heat”. During this time they are very sexually attracted to non-hostile males regardless of race. Sex is possible with other races but reproduction is not. At the end of the heat 12 hours of rest is required or the character is fatigued until they receive proper rest.
= When at 0 or lower HP, instead of going unconscious, the Keidran enter a feral state in which they attack those they judge to be enemies relentlessly until no enemies remain. At this point they turn on whatever living thing is closest. During the feral state, the character loses HP normally as if dying. Once per round on her turn the Keidran may make a Will save (DC=10+ 1/2HD) to end the feral state and immediately fall unconscious.
= Keidran are carnivorous. Eating bread, fruit, or vegetable causes them to be sickened for 12 hours or until the food is purged.
= Keidran have trouble holding their booze. A mug of average ale would be the alcohol equivelent of 3 mugs to a Keidran. Instead they drink a milky drink which also acts as a mild aphrodisiac.
= Unarmed strike is replaced by a claw attack.(1d4)

--Clans—

Wolf
Preferred Class: Wizard
Ability Mods: +2 Int –2 Str
The wolf clan is focused mainly on spellcasting and may choose a spell at each Wizard level in which she gains access to a new spell level(provided they can cast it)of the Illusion school, which can be cast in exchange for a spell slot equal to or higher than the spell level. (like a cleric does with cure spells)

Tiger
Preferred Class: Fighter
Ability Mods: +2 Str –2 Int
The tiger clan it trained very well in the use of the polearm and a tiger clan Fighter gains Weapon Focus with any polearm she has proficiency with as a bonus feat.

Fox
Preferred Class: Rogue
Ability Mods: +2 Dex -2 Con
Rogues of the fox clan are trained to deceive others in combat and gains the Improved Feint feat even if she does not meet the prerequisites.

Cheetah (was shown in the comic but only like a cameo appearance)
Preferred Class: Barbarian
Ability Mods: +2 Con -2 Cha
Barbarians of this clan are unnaturally fast an gain a land speed bonus equal to their natural land speed when raging. This replaces the Fast Movement class ability.

Cultural Notes
Keidran Cultural Notes

· While Keidran acknowledge the existence of a creator, they commonly choose not to worship.
· Considered an adult at age 10 (venerable at age 33)
· Marriages are arranged one year after birth
· Males and females considered equal
· Common clothing is little more than a loincloth due to thick fur
· Extremely Untrusting of other races
· Take human slaves
· Are taken as slaves by humans
· When they die, 1 day is allowed for mourning and the body is then cremated and the ashes scattered
· Festival of Beasts: Beginning at the sunset on each full moon and lasting 3 days and nights, humans and Keidran are considered equal in both societies. Slaves are “free” during the festival so long as they remain in the same city as their owners.
· Not commonly evil although uneasy and sometimes hostile towards other races.

Like I said, I appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism.

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-03, 09:33 PM
What? No comments or anything?

AstralFire
2007-11-03, 09:37 PM
Seems mostly balanced to me. Not much to say. I would go ahead and just give the Fox Clan the Improved Feint feat, it's not like it's the world's most powerful feat as-is, and you've got most of it described there.

I think it's worth noting, though, that -2 Charisma isn't much of a penalty since it is so easily avoided.

DracoDei
2007-11-12, 05:26 AM
Sorry it too me so long to actually get around to reading it...
The standard way of stateing things for what you have the Tigers doing is "Treat XXX as a martial rather than exotic weapon."
The special ability and ability adjustment for the wolves MIGHT make them worth +1 LA.

MagFlare
2007-11-12, 06:35 AM
I'd never heard of TwoKinds before, but something about the name "Keidran" made me suspect this was going to be furry-related even before I clicked on the topic title. The Internet's getting so predictable these days... <i>curmudgeon</i>

But anyway. The wolf-kind's spontaneous spellcasting is a bit overpowered - it's essentially receiving nine free (although limited in scope) feats over the course of the character's class progression. Perhaps you could modify it so that they can spontaneously cast only a single first-level Illusion spell - like silent image, maybe - with further spontaneous spellcasting options being available to them in the form of racial feats. That way they'll still have to pay for it.

Also, it's in vogue for Str to be considered twice as valuable as any of the other stats, so chances are someone's going to suggest that the tiger-kind is overpowered, too. And they might be right - the tiger-kind gets +1 to hit, +1 to damage, a version of Improved Unarmed Strike that's superior to the feat, and proficiency with a yet-undescribed but presumably pretty kickass exotic weapon, and the only drawback is a penalty to what most fighters already use as their dump stat. (Oh, and a penalty to Diplomacy checks...) It's not powerful enough to warrant a +1 LA, but another ability score penalty would help bring it in line with other races. Alternatively, you could give it a natural armor bonus, another +2 bonus to Str, and one or two more perks, and that might make it a full +1 LA race.

Egill
2007-11-16, 09:49 PM
Why not give the wolf clan a few illusions usable per day as spell-like abilities, similar to gnomes? I think your spontaneous illusion casting is a bit over powered.

Since charisma is a standard dump stat, some of your stat bonuses could be viewed as unbalanced. I particularly agree with the previous poster, that the strength bonus is a bit overpowered.

I won't even comment on the sexual aspects of this race.

DracoDei
2007-11-16, 09:58 PM
Or keep it the way it is and say that (like dragons kinda do) they gain a LA every 5 levels they take in wizard or something... creative mechanical solutions should not be overlooked... anyway that way it scales with the degree of power it gives them...

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-16, 11:09 PM
Why not give the wolf clan a few illusions usable per day as spell-like abilities, similar to gnomes? I think your spontaneous illusion casting is a bit over powered.

Since charisma is a standard dump stat, some of your stat bonuses could be viewed as unbalanced. I particularly agree with the previous poster, that the strength bonus is a bit overpowered.

I won't even comment on the sexual aspects of this race.

Look, im trying to get as close to the comic as possible. If you see something in the comic not reflected here, then tell me. Re-re-reading it I discovered that they seem to favor spears so I'm giving the Tiger clan automatic Weapon Focus with polearms.

Also if anyone plans to run a PBP allowing this race, let me know. I would love to play.

DracoDei
2007-11-16, 11:25 PM
For what it is worth, most of the characters in the comic are, in fact, at least ATTEMPTING monogamy (and succeeding to date).

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-16, 11:27 PM
Im only trying to get the race from the comic. Not the characters.

DracoDei
2007-11-16, 11:36 PM
I am aware of that... and you have done a good job. I am tired and so tend to ramble a bit. I guess the point that can be drawn from this is that it is VERY possible to play a Keidran who fights their instincts and perhaps even remains faithful (or in cases of very high WIS might actually manage to just use their paw).

This brings up another point (just to make people haul out the brain acid to cleans the mental image from their mind) :

(Are you SURE you want to read further?)

Highlight below to read...

Sex with your familiar merely qualifies as masturbation.
...Just because I am MORAL doesn't mean I can't ALSO be TWISTED.

BizzaroStormy
2007-11-16, 11:38 PM
Hmm, I'm immoral AND twisted...Woo Hoo!

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-16, 11:48 PM
Hmm, I'm immoral AND twisted...Woo Hoo!

*shudder* I know you....that's scary....

As for the comic, it really isn't a furry (though it has moments) the whole purpose behind it is racial tension:
I was inspired to write Twokinds after having experienced a lot of racial discrimination from kids at my school, who were predominently white. My writing skills at the time were not very good, but I still felt like I was doing something good by trying to teach others not to be prejudice.
As for the race you've stated out, the Wolf is a bit powerful, you're giving a class ability as a racial ability that merits a LA+1 unless you give a big drawback. I don't really see how you get that from the comic anyway, yes their adept at magic (more sorcerer than wizard) but they normally spontaneously cast, not as a special ability. I'd just give them +1 DC to a certain type (illusion or something) of spell and +2 to resist that type of spell.

DracoDei
2007-11-17, 05:59 AM
*shudder* I know you....that's scary....

As for the comic, it really isn't a furry (though it has moments) the whole purpose behind it is racial tension:

I was inspired to write Twokinds after having experienced a lot of racial discrimination from kids at my school, who were predominently white. My writing skills at the time were not very good, but I still felt like I was doing something good by trying to teach others not to be prejudice.

Actually that is what a lot of Furry stuff IS about... don't know WHERE people keep getting the idea that Furry has to be about sex (actually I have some idea, but that is completely beside the point). "The Chronicles of Narnia" and "Wind in the Willows" qualify as Furry...
(Excuse the slight rant... I happen to be a Deacon in a online Church for anthropomorphics fans... it is in my contract or something)