PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Adamantium to d&d stats?

Jazath
2020-10-17, 09:34 PM
What would be special properties of adamantium if it were a d&d thing for armor and weapons? Also, what would be the break DCs, Hp per inch of thickness, and all that jazz?

In other stuff, what kind of abilities would a adamantium golem have?

Drelua
2020-10-17, 10:59 PM
What would be special properties of adamantium if it were a d&d thing for armor and weapons? Also, what would be the break DCs, Hp per inch of thickness, and all that jazz?

Adamantine's the same but weaker basically, maybe adamantium could just be +5 adamantine? Weapons and armor would be +5, adamantium golems would have +5 to their attacks and AC. Hardness goes up by 2 per +1, so hardness 30 is real tough to get past. Could add Pathfinder's Impervious (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/magic-armor-and-shield-special-abilities/impervious/) ability to get that hardness up to 40.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-17, 11:03 PM
Isn't adamantium supposed to be nigh-unbreakable outside of extremely out-of-context problems, such as disintegration?

Would riverine work for this?

Biggus
2020-10-18, 03:13 AM
I'd say similar to adamantine, but much higher hardness, perhaps 40 or even more. Gods and cosmic entities can damage it, but to mortals it's effectively indestructible.

Melcar
2020-10-18, 04:49 AM

Oerthblooded, Pureore Obdurium is the strongest metal in the entire game and has Hardness of 120 and 180 hp per inch of thickness! Break DC of of Obdurium is 48+2 per inch of thickness. Being Oerthblooded and Pureore, I assume that tensile strength (i.e. the break DC) of the metal to increase as well, but no rules for this seem to exist. So I would simply increase the break DC enqual to the HP increase with is 3 times for a break DC of 144 + 6 per inch of thickness!

Marvel's adamantium is indestructible IIRC, so I assume it should have unlimited Hardness, Hitpoints and Break DC...

CIDE
2020-10-18, 12:49 PM
Depends on the type of adamantium. There's a couple variations in the marvel universe. "True" adamantium? Just use Riverine. The others are just abnormally tough metals.

Ramza00
2020-10-18, 01:55 PM
Isn't adamantium supposed to be nigh-unbreakable outside of extremely out-of-context problems, such as disintegration?

Would riverine work for this?

There is not a single form of adamantium in marvel, much like the original concept. The original "concept" is a copper knife that slew / castigrated a god that was used by the son, and was used again to defeat a giant who tried to overthrow the heavens when two grandsons of the defeated father ruled reality.

There are plenty of different tales / contradictory information with the tales of "myth" I am referencing for they were originally oral tales of Anatolian Peninsula (aka Turkey) and the Middle East and the tales are older than the bronze age collapse, these tales were then later incorporated into Greek tales for Greek and Anatolia are literally the same sea and there were colonies of both on both sides of the Aegean.

I am referencing things like the Song of Ullikummi , and the Kumarbi Cycle such as the Song of Kumarbi (also known as Kingship in Heaven), these oral stories / songs are recorded in both Hurrian and Hittite (not the same thing), later on the Greek Hesiod with his Theogony (the genealogy or birth of the gods) recants his Greek version of these stories, the one you are probably familiar with in Middle and High School of how Uranus is defeated by his son Cronus due to the aid of Cronus's mother (Uranus's wife) with a magic blade ... either killing Uranus or Castigrating / Subjugating him. Cronus then repeats a similar plan with his own kids eating them until Yadda, Yadda, Yadda Zeus the youngest happens and Zeus and the other Greek Gods defeated the Titans with several events. Then later on Typhon the greek monster created by Gaia and Tartarus tries to overthrow Zeus and lightning is ineffective and thus Zeus has to reobtained the blade that defeated the grandfather Uranus in order to defeat Typhon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullikummi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumarbi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theogony

-----

Likewise in other Greek Myths the same blade Harpe is used by the Great-Grandson of Uranus, Zeus's son Perseus to defeat the Medusa, and with Medusa's head defeat the sea monster (often Ceto)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamant

So in the different myths what this "Harpe" blade is made out of is sometimes copper or steel, other times it is Adamant. Adamant itself being a diamond like substance or a magnetic metal. (The greek word for Diamond actually is a variant of Adamant.)

My point here is the myths are contradictory and after the Greeks the concept of Adamant shows up in dozens of other epics to the point it gets more properties and is even more contradictory. For example Alexander the Great in one romantic poem built magic walls of Adamant to allow the local people to later defeat the [humanish] children of giants, Gog and Magog who were trying to invade the land.

-----

I brought all of this up to show how stories are often contradictory (and that is okay), for Marvel's Adamantium has even more contradictory aspects in its 60 years of storytelling.

To decide what properties a D&D material would be you need to decide what "feats" of Marvels that you want to hyperfocus on for all of its cannon, but which cannon you focus on is up to you. (The loose cannon phenomena.)

-----

In sum with Marvel just decide what level of hardness you have, and how this hardness is unbreakable to most things, aka mortal things, but different levels of gods can actually break it.

If a lesser god / demi-god-mortal-hero is able to break it under Marvel rules you retcon it and say it is an inferior copy of Adamantium. But there are better copies of Adamantium which can't be broken unless we are talking the big bads villains and the cosmic level of fathers such as Odin, who are only things able to destroy the best form of Adamantium, but then again these people when they go all out do not destroy planets but instead entire milky way galaxies level of destruction.

Biggus
2020-10-18, 10:31 PM
Depends on the type of adamantium. There's a couple variations in the marvel universe. "True" adamantium? Just use Riverine. The others are just abnormally tough metals.

I'd forgotten there were several different types. *reads up to refresh memory* There are 3 main classes of adamantium in terms of toughness:

1) proto-adamantium: what Captain America's shield is made of. Perhaps the most indestructible object in the universe. Only top-tier cosmic entities (overdeities in D&D terms) can affect it. Hardness: effectively infinite

2) true (primary) adamantium: almost as tough as proto-adamantium, but not quite. The Hulk and Thor have managed to slightly dent it by expending their full power. A thick coating of it can withstand a nuclear explosion. Hardness: 100-200?

3) secondary adamantium: much stronger than titanium, but much weaker than primary adamantium. Hardness: 30-40?

Particle_Man
2020-10-19, 12:56 AM
Marvel's adamantium is indestructible IIRC, so I assume it should have unlimited Hardness, Hitpoints and Break DC...

Not quite. In the comics Captain America travels into the future (as one does) he finds there are things that can pierce or damage his shield, and this is seen as not that unusual, as a future character makes a list of things that can pierce adamantium.

In the movies, it looks like it takes someone with the power of Thanos to break cap's adamantium shield, but adamantium claws (a la Black Panther) can of course damage adamantium.

Elkad
2020-10-19, 01:11 AM
It's not unbreakable by any means. Brute strength will do.

Sym (a demon) casually broke one of Wolverine's claws off and used it as a toothpick. (and later stabbed Colossus with it).

Melcar
2020-10-19, 06:15 AM
Not quite. In the comics Captain America travels into the future (as one does) he finds there are things that can pierce or damage his shield, and this is seen as not that unusual, as a future character makes a list of things that can pierce adamantium.

In the movies, it looks like it takes someone with the power of Thanos to break cap's adamantium shield, but adamantium claws (a la Black Panther) can of course damage adamantium.

Isn't Capn's shield made from vibranuim?

Remuko
2020-10-19, 09:50 AM
Isn't Capn's shield made from vibranuim?

vibranium adamantium alloy iirc.

Batcathat
2020-10-19, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I think the point is that Cap's shield is made from some alloy they lost the recipe for, explaining why it's not as common as steel or unstable molecules.

Kalkra
2020-10-19, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I think the point is that Cap's shield is made from some alloy they lost the recipe for, explaining why it's not as common as steel or unstable molecules.

Yeah, I think it was one of those unreplicatable accidents. Also, after his shield was broken (I think by Odin's brother) it was reforged with Uru (the stuff Mjolnir is made out of) and made stronger than ever.

Jazath
2020-10-19, 01:20 PM
I'd forgotten there were several different types. *reads up to refresh memory* There are 3 main classes of adamantium in terms of toughness:

1) proto-adamantium: what Captain America's shield is made of. Perhaps the most indestructible object in the universe. Only top-tier cosmic entities (overdeities in D&D terms) can affect it. Hardness: effectively infinite

2) true (primary) adamantium: almost as tough as proto-adamantium, but not quite. The Hulk and Thor have managed to slightly dent it by expending their full power. A thick coating of it can withstand a nuclear explosion. Hardness: 100-200?

3) secondary adamantium: much stronger than titanium, but much weaker than primary adamantium. Hardness: 30-40?

Sounds like a Proto-Adamantium suit armor is the right way to go. I would then make a golem while i'm at it.
Now THAT'S OVERKILL

Ramza00
2020-10-19, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a Proto-Adamantium suit armor is the right way to go. I would then make a golem while i'm at it.
Now THAT'S OVERKILL

Sounds like

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/8/80103/6249902-26.jpg