PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Representing DC New Gods in D&D - How to?

GrayDeath
2020-10-18, 09:08 AM
The title says it all.

How would you represent the lower g gods of DC new Gods in D&D?

Templates, obviously, but what would they get? How high would the LA be (mind, I am not looking to represent Darkside, that would add at least 40 levels, probably a special Class called Dominant New God, but the lesser Heroes and Villains of Apokalips and New Genesis).

I am open to any and all suggestions of the Forum EXCEPT "dont do it/use another System, as alas, I know that that would be easier (and have done so in the apst) but for my co DM and my future Plans I need something like this in 3.PX.

So far, my idea would be expanded Mythic Abilities and a Template boosint their stats.

Venger
2020-10-18, 11:18 AM
Mechanically, what kind of special abilitities do you want to represent? What do all new gods have in common with one another? Aside from their origins, i can't think of any powers shared by, for example, Kalibak, Mr. Miracle, and Orion. Are they all strong, tough, etc. I don't think so.

GrayDeath
2020-10-18, 01:41 PM
All new Gods are immune to mortal poisons and Diseases, live forever unless killed, dont have real weaknesses abilitywise unless it fits their "Role" (Kalibak for example is a classic Cha Dump Murderhobo^^), are tougher than their physical bodies would make you believe, and even the weakest physically are stronger than strong (yet not supoer) humans.
Additionally following the comics, all can do "Godspeak" with each other, and should be able to boost themselves (or if leading Gods others) massively in their chosen field (Scoptt free managed to escape DARKSEID for one, and Darkseid could likely easily kill supes unless hes to arrogant as he was in Animated).

What almost all should have are 1-2 VERY High Ability Scores, natural Armor/DR and the ability to use just about any type of magical/Technological thingamajiggy even if they dont understand it, or Magical Abilities (although if using D&D as measurement here is no a single "Full Caster" New God).

And then there is the actual "God" Area where they excel, which is different for every single one, so I`ll make a class out of that part.

Venger
2020-10-18, 01:47 PM
So are you envisioning new god as a race, a prestige class, or on making builds for a couple of the characters?

GrayDeath
2020-10-18, 02:03 PM
As a template + probably Mythic Levels for advancement so far, se OP, unless someone comes up with a better Idea.

While most New Gods inherited it, there are some who simply became ones through excellence, or luck, or both, so it cant be a race.

StSword
2020-10-20, 05:33 AM
All new Gods are immune to mortal poisons and Diseases, live forever unless killed, dont have real weaknesses abilitywise unless it fits their "Role" (Kalibak for example is a classic Cha Dump Murderhobo^^), are tougher than their physical bodies would make you believe, and even the weakest physically are stronger than strong (yet not supoer) humans.
Additionally following the comics, all can do "Godspeak" with each other, and should be able to boost themselves (or if leading Gods others) massively in their chosen field (Scoptt free managed to escape DARKSEID for one, and Darkseid could likely easily kill supes unless hes to arrogant as he was in Animated).

What almost all should have are 1-2 VERY High Ability Scores, natural Armor/DR and the ability to use just about any type of magical/Technological thingamajiggy even if they dont understand it, or Magical Abilities (although if using D&D as measurement here is no a single "Full Caster" New God).

And then there is the actual "God" Area where they excel, which is different for every single one, so I`ll make a class out of that part.

Well since it seems your basing this on a fanfiction presentation that stole heavily from Exalted, I'd say look at Exalted with the serial number filed off for OSR Godbound (https://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=21590).

Since it's OSR and not 3xP it'll require some conversion, but you should be able to stripmine it for your homebrew.

It even has a free version so looking it up won't cost you anything.

Vrock Bait
2020-10-20, 11:36 AM
As a template + probably Mythic Levels for advancement so far, se OP, unless someone comes up with a better Idea.

While most New Gods inherited it, there are some who simply became ones through excellence, or luck, or both, so it cant be a race.

Have you read the Darkseid War story arc? That was literally about the Justice League becoming New Gods (save for Wonder Woman who’s already an Old God). A template is probably best, though there should probably be differences between Mr. Miracle, Metron, Black Racer, and Glorious Godfrey.

Maybe something in the template that boosts individual skills depending on the type of god in question? Like, Mr. Miracle would have bonuses to Escape Artist and Disable Device, Metron would have Knowledge () bonuses, and Glorious Godfrey would have Bluff and Diplomacy bonuses.

Venger
2020-10-20, 11:39 AM
Well since it seems your basing this on a fanfiction presentation that stole heavily from Exalted, I'd say look at Exalted with the serial number filed off for OSR Godbound (https://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=21590).

Since it's OSR and not 3xP it'll require some conversion, but you should be able to stripmine it for your homebrew.

It even has a free version so looking it up won't cost you anything.
Huh? The new gods predate exalted by decades.

Have you read the Darkseid War story arc? That was literally about the Justice League becoming New Gods (save for Wonder Woman who’s already an Old God). A template is probably best, though there should probably be differences between Mr. Miracle, Metron, Black Racer, and Glorious Godfrey.

Maybe something in the template that boosts individual skills depending on the type of god in question? Like, Mr. Miracle would have bonuses to Escape Artist and Disable Device, Metron would have Knowledge () bonuses, and Glorious Godfrey would have Bluff and Diplomacy bonuses.
Paragon template?

StSword
2020-10-20, 05:10 PM
Huh? The new gods predate exalted by decades.

Yes they do, which has absolutely nothing to do with what I typed.

Godspeach? You know what that's actually based on? Darkseid had black text bubbles in a comic once. It did absolutely nothing other than be annoying to read, and no other New God ever does it.

So any list of New God powers that includes godspeach is based on fanfiction and not actual DC media.

In fact it's based on one fanfiction in particular, and that author stole blatantly and openly from Exalted.

He had his New God character wield a daiklave (https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Daiklave) for crying out loud, the author made no efforts to hide that his New Gods are exalted with the serial numbers filed off.

Biggus
2020-10-21, 06:59 AM

This sounds pretty much like quasi-deities (DvR 0) from Deities and Demigods. They are "immortal and usually have one or more ability scores which are far above the norm for their species". They cannot die from natural causes and are immune to ability damage and drain, so they can't be affected by diseases or most poisons, and they have damage reduction 10/epic.

The deities in D&DG were made using a standard divine array of 35, 28, 25, 24, 24, 24, with an extra point for every 4 levels as normal. That sounds about right for what you're describing, you just need to add a mechanism for them to be able to dump one or two stats as appropriate.

Oh, and they all need UMD as an automatic class skill.

GrayDeath
2020-10-21, 12:46 PM
Yes they do, which has absolutely nothing to do with what I typed.

Godspeach? You know what that's actually based on? Darkseid had black text bubbles in a comic once. It did absolutely nothing other than be annoying to read, and no other New God ever does it.

So any list of New God powers that includes godspeach is based on fanfiction and not actual DC media.

In fact it's based on one fanfiction in particular, and that author stole blatantly and openly from Exalted.

He had his New God character wield a daiklave (https://whitewolf.fandom.com/wiki/Daiklave) for crying out loud, the author made no efforts to hide that his New Gods are exalted with the serial numbers filed off.

Having taken Inspiration from a certain Fanfic, which I openly admit, does in no way say that I didnt take a lot of inspiration from old experience with a LOT of New God Comics.
As for using Exalted/Godbound: Maybe they`ll get access to a öllimited amount of exalted effects, but that (or godbound really) does in no way help me with representing simply "being" a New God....

Edit: Oh, And you being snippy to him helps nobody, so how about we are all freindly and helpful, and dont assume people want toa ttack us?

Thanks.

This sounds pretty much like quasi-deities (DvR 0) from Deities and Demigods. They are "immortal and usually have one or more ability scores which are far above the norm for their species". They cannot die from natural causes and are immune to ability damage and drain, so they can't be affected by diseases or most poisons, and they have damage reduction 10/epic.

The deities in D&DG were made using a standard divine array of 35, 28, 25, 24, 24, 24, with an extra point for every 4 levels as normal. That sounds about right for what you're describing, you just need to add a mechanism for them to be able to dump one or two stats as appropriate.

Oh, and they all need UMD as an automatic class skill.

Hmmmm, that does sound actually quite usable.

Adapted to make the template boost one or 2 specific skills/Spells/Attack, and I could be done.

Shows again that, overall bad rules or not, I should ahve gotten that Book....

@ Edit. As for paragon template: We are using a lowered version for our Super Soldiers, but the Bonuse sof the Template are too even and flat for new Gods.

Compare Kalibak with Scott Free, for 2 prominent variants, and you see what I eman.

StSword
2020-10-21, 06:39 PM
Having taken Inspiration from a certain Fanfic, which I openly admit, does in no way say that I didnt take a lot of inspiration from old experience with a LOT of New God Comics.
As for using Exalted/Godbound: Maybe they`ll get access to a öllimited amount of exalted effects, but that (or godbound really) does in no way help me with representing simply "being" a New God....

Edit: Oh, And you being snippy to him helps nobody, so how about we are all freindly and helpful, and dont assume people want toa ttack us?

Thanks.

That was me being nice and friendly, now I'm annoyed.

Your list of powers you listed because you wanted help with them included "should be able to boost themselves (or if leading Gods others) massively in their chosen field."

Take a wild wild guess at what Godbound characters can do.

Why, they can boost themselves in their chosen field or use their dominion to enhance others.

You would know that if you had bothered to check it out.

So how dare I help you, how horrible of me.

But since you show your gratitude by attacking me, I'll be sure to not make that mistake again.

Roland St. Jude
2020-10-21, 07:55 PM
Sheriff: More talking about the substance and less talking about each other, please. Characterizing each other and getting snippy are tickets to Infraction-town.

Biggus
2020-10-21, 08:30 PM
Hmmmm, that does sound actually quite usable.

Adapted to make the template boost one or 2 specific skills/Spells/Attack, and I could be done.

Shows again that, overall bad rules or not, I should ahve gotten that Book....

Thankfully, most of the crunch from it is available for free on the SRD. The relevant bits for DvR 0 are here: https://www.d20srd.org/indexes/divineRanksPowers.htm

But it is worth getting the book if you can find a not-ridiculously-priced copy, I've had a lot of use out of it despite its faults.

GrayDeath
2020-10-22, 11:14 AM
That was me being nice and friendly, now I'm annoyed.

Your list of powers you listed because you wanted help with them included "should be able to boost themselves (or if leading Gods others) massively in their chosen field."

Take a wild wild guess at what Godbound characters can do.

Why, they can boost themselves in their chosen field or use their dominion to enhance others.

You would know that if you had bothered to check it out.

So how dare I help you, how horrible of me.

But since you show your gratitude by attacking me, I'll be sure to not make that mistake again.

I apologize if I misunderstood your tone.

I know what godbound does, even played it for 3 sessions.
Problem is, its importing most of a completely different System into D&D, while I would much prefer to achieve the goal (or say 80+% of it) by using "stock D&D Abilities/Methods".

I could have been clearer about that, sorry.

Still, no reason to get impolite to me or others, ok?

@ Deities and Demigods: Thanks, I`ll see if one of my Old Time D&D GM`s has it.

So far I heard only bad stuff about it and so never actually bothered to check it out.

My bad. ^^

GrayDeath
2020-10-27, 03:43 PM
Bumped.

My takeaway so far:

Give the Character Divine Level 0, but stop it there (gaining additional levels with the Rules from Deities and Demigods, great rad in parts btw thank you for pointing me at it! Thanks Biggus), as I want to avoid them becoming as powerful as Old Gods.

Additionally, all their pre-racial and other Bonus Stats become 18, removing all negative Ability Modifiers permanently.

Added to that, if the God is not "The God of Physical Might/The Smartest/etc" they get a pool of 24pts to spread amongst all their Abilities, with no single one being allowed more than 8 of them.

If they are are very specialized God, give the main Ability +13, all others +2.

Thats what I will give ALL of them.

Additionally I am thinking about giving them 2-5 Mythic levels (see pathfinder) but with some "God Powers" (Godspeech, small, narrow Purview, incredible short time boosts, taking 11 all the time, etc) tacked on.

Probably gonna build a dozen or 2 New God Only Feats with fitting exalted sounding names.

Still looking for a good equivalent within existing PF/.5 Rules for God Powers. At the moment I think more powerful but much more narrow take on Psychic Powers would work best, with them regaining Power Points when acting within their "Theme".

How does that sound?

Suggestions?

Totally different Ideas?