PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Questions about a "melee" build

LocoTaco
2020-10-19, 02:26 PM
Hello People!

I was experimenting with ideas for builds, as I usually do and I ended up on a strange "melee" build that I'm quite fond of. However, there's still some vagueness about it and I wanted to hear your opinions.

First, the build:
Human Warlock 2 / Binder 1
The feats are:
- Aberrant Blood (the bonus doesn't really add anything but I chose "flexible limbs" for fluff)
- Inhuman Reach
- Improved Binding

The idea is to use the Eldritch Glaive invocation with Inhuman Reach (which stacks with reach weapons). That way, I can attack up to 20 feet as well as debuffing my enemies via Frightful/Sickening Blast (by the way, which one would be better?)

Also, I was interested in the Paimon vestige, mainly for the free Whirlwind Attack. However, as I never used this feat (for how feat-expensive it is), I have no idea how it works, especially with my 20-feet touch attack.
Do I have to make a single attack check against every enemy in range? (if that's the case, what is the opposed AC ?)
Or do I make individual attack checks against every one of the enemies? (if that's the case, wouldn't it bog down the combat?)

Additionally, as I was reading more and more about Paimon, I started wondering what reach would my character have while moving (10-feet or 20-feet?)
Is Dance of Death even compatible with touch attacks?

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-10-19, 06:04 PM
Sad to say, I don't know much about binding, but one feat that's worth considering is Shorten Grip (Dragon Compendium), which lets you attack enemies normally too close to you (due to reach) for a -2 penalty. Since Eldritch Glaive attacks "as a glaive", the feat probably works for it too, eliminating the main disadvantage of such a large reach with a reach weapon.

Darg
2020-10-19, 07:00 PM
Whirlwind Attack only works on a full attack action. Eldritch Glaive is a full-round action. If you are one of the many that think or use rules so that Eldritch glaive is cast as a full-round action it's even worse because you are casting and then attacking as part of that casting.

Fundamentally, the combo won't work unless you run it by the DM. You could get it to work if you use the casting version if you have 4 arms and the multitasking feat as you do the actions simultaneously and Whirlwind Attack lets you give up all your attacks to use the feat.

weckar
2020-10-20, 01:54 AM
Technically Eldritch Glaive cannot benefit from extra attacks through things like Haste, either...