PDA

View Full Version : Tripping flying people?

SadisticFishing
2007-11-03, 01:57 AM
Yeah, so I had a boss-ish fight today based on tripping, and my entire party is perpetually flying!

How does this work? Can I not trip them?

AtomicKitKat
2007-11-03, 03:06 AM
If memory serves they are "checked", which means they cannot move during their turn after the trip. They can still attack you though, unless you have reach and they don't. I would definitely allow one to "trip" them up again the following turn, unlike normal trip, since they don't provoke AoOs for "standing from prone"(ie, the "boss" is having to use his limited actions to trip them, rather than "free action" AoOs.).

kpenguin
2007-11-03, 03:21 AM
Aerial tripping was covered in these two (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060321a)articles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040706a).

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-03, 07:01 AM
I believe it's also mentioned in the FAQ.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-11-03, 08:52 AM
Would a spiked chain work? You could catch the party fighter by the foot, swing him around, and clobber the wizard with him.

Roderick_BR
2007-11-03, 12:16 PM
Only if they need wings to fly, or need to be in constant motion.
A winged creature can be tripped, and anything that floats with bad maneuvers can fall if you can keep them from moving. Anything that floats and can stand in place (like a levitate or flight spell) cannot be tripped.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 12:29 PM
A flying creature who is tripped goes into a stall.

If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage. If the fall doesn’t bring the creature to the ground, it must spend its next turn recovering from the stall. It must succeed on a DC 20 Reflex save to recover. Otherwise it falls another 300 feet. If it hits the ground, it takes falling damage. Otherwise, it has another chance to recover on its next turn.