PDA

View Full Version : Monk of the Miasma

Tvtyrant
2020-10-20, 02:40 PM
Level 3: Poison Touch
A MotM may spend a ki point as a bonus action to treat their attacks that turn as if they had a poison from the poison list applied to them. These do not effect the MotM.

Level 6: Poison Water.
When a Monk of the Miasma hits an opponent they may spend a Ki point to flare their aura. Each enemy adjacent to the MotM must make a con save or become poisoned.

Level 11: Poison Breath
The Monk of the Miasma has internal ki so toxic it sickens the air. As an action they can Poison all enemies within 60ft until the start of their next turn, opposed by the enemies Con saves.

Level 17: Poison Ground
The toxins of the MotM are so virulent they spread like disease. Once per long rest the MotM can kill a region as an action. All life within one mile must make death saves as if dropped to 0 health, those that fail three saves die. All plants in the region wilt and the ground and water are toxic for one year, Poisoning anything that eats or drinks from them.

Edit Poison Ground: I'm thinking 100ft the first day, then extend outward each additional day it is used on the same spot?

Update:

Poison Water: level 3
When MotM makes an attack they can infuse it with poison by spending 1 ki. If the strike succeeds the enemy must make a con save, if they fail their blood is infected with the Poison Water. They are poisoned, but may make an additional save on the end of each of their turns to shake off the poison.

Poison Fire: Level 6
The MotM as a bonus action can spend 2 ki to poison the light that bounces off their body. Each adjacent enemy must make a reflex save or be blinded until the MotM's next turn.

Poison Air: Level 11
The MotM as an action can poison the air by spending 3 ki. You create a 20-foot-radius sphere of yellow, nauseating gas centered on a point within range. The cloud spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. The cloud lingers in the air for the duration.
Each creature that is completely within the cloud at the start of its turn must make a Constitution saving throw against poison. On a failed save, the creature spends its action that turn retching and reeling. Creatures that don’t need to breathe or are immune to poison automatically succeed on this saving throw.
A moderate wind (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses the cloud after 4 rounds. A strong wind (at least 20 miles per hour) disperses it after 1 round. The MotM must spend their bonus action each turn to maintain the gas.

Poison Earth: level 17
By spending 5 ki as an action the MotM sends the deadliest poison through the Earth to attack their target. If the target’s body is made of flesh, the creature must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it is restrained as its flesh begins to harden. On a successful save, the creature isn’t affected.
A creature restrained by this spell must make another Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns. If it successfully saves against this spell three times, the effect ends. If it fails its saves three times, it is turned to bone and subjected to the petrified condition for the duration. The successes and failures don’t need to be consecutive; keep track of both until the target collects three of a kind.
If the creature is physically broken while petrified, it suffers from similar deformities if it reverts to its original state.

JNAProductions
2020-10-20, 06:52 PM
What is the "Poison List"?

Because the first one on the first list I could find (of official materials, not homebrewed) poisons for 24 hours on a failed save.
Another one paralyzes for a minute.
Another Blinds for up to an hour.
Several let you knock them out outright.
Another one does 12d6 damage with a DC 19 save.

In other words, you need a list of weak poisons to choose from-an extra 12d6 damage is a save or die at this level, except it does half damage on a failed save, so it's a hit to kill. Not to mention the knock-out poisons.

Poison Water needs a duration, and a save after each round.

Same for Breath.

Poison Ground is poorly written, to the point where I don't even know if it's balanced. Leaning no, but still.

Tvtyrant
2020-10-20, 07:05 PM
What is the "Poison List"?

Because the first one on the first list I could find (of official materials, not homebrewed) poisons for 24 hours on a failed save.
Another one paralyzes for a minute.
Another Blinds for up to an hour.
Several let you knock them out outright.
Another one does 12d6 damage with a DC 19 save.

In other words, you need a list of weak poisons to choose from-an extra 12d6 damage is a save or die at this level, except it does half damage on a failed save, so it's a hit to kill. Not to mention the knock-out poisons.

Poison Water needs a duration, and a save after each round.

Same for Breath.

Poison Ground is poorly written, to the point where I don't even know if it's balanced. Leaning no, but still.
1. Ok, seems fair. They are going to have one attempt at level 1-5, and two attempts at 6-20. So it is slightly more efficient than Stun but doesn't work on misses. Blind seems fair as an effect?

2. What duration seems fair? That was part of why I left it open. I don't know if I agree about save each turn though. You have to hit, and they fail a save. What if it was bonus action to maintain poison each turn?

3. Breath is until your next turn, why does it need ongoing saves?

4. It's the equivalent of mass Flesh to Stone 1/day, uses the same mechanic and then has "ruins the ground" as a fluff bit. The size might be a bit much but it's hardly over powered.

Appreciate the input :)

JNAProductions
2020-10-20, 07:11 PM
1) 12d6 damage.
Unconscious for an hour.

Neither is appropriate for early levels. At all. Hell, knock out poisons would stay valid at any level, barring poison immunity. Or 12d6 damage (save for half), adds 42 damage on a failed save, or 21 on a success. That makes your Monk have similar damage output to a GWF, GWM Fighter with a Maul or Greatsword at level 11. But at level 5 instead for the Monk.

2) The poisoned condition is very powerful. If it didn't allow a save on later turns, it'd end a fight on a failed save.

3) I missed that.

4) It is not clear. And it uses Death Saves (which don't have modifiers by default) instead of a Con save. Not to mention, the one-mile radius is insane.

Tvtyrant
2020-10-20, 08:39 PM
1) 12d6 damage.
Unconscious for an hour.

Neither is appropriate for early levels. At all. Hell, knock out poisons would stay valid at any level, barring poison immunity. Or 12d6 damage (save for half), adds 42 damage on a failed save, or 21 on a success. That makes your Monk have similar damage output to a GWF, GWM Fighter with a Maul or Greatsword at level 11. But at level 5 instead for the Monk.

2) The poisoned condition is very powerful. If it didn't allow a save on later turns, it'd end a fight on a failed save.

3) I missed that.

4) It is not clear. And it uses Death Saves (which don't have modifiers by default) instead of a Con save. Not to mention, the one-mile radius is insane.

1. Right, I agreed with you.

2. Okay.

4. I'll modify it.

Edit: I tightened the theme up a bit. Fire, air, water and earth with different effects. Two short term effects, two long term effects.

sandmote
2020-10-22, 06:41 PM
You should maybe give some resistances to the poisoned condition and poison damage, to tie back to being able to withstand your own class features. Maybe advantage on saves against it at 3rd, poison resistance at 6th, immunity to the poisoned condition at 11th, and poison immunity at 17th.

Tvtyrant
2020-10-22, 06:50 PM
You should maybe give some resistances to the poisoned condition and poison damage, to tie back to being able to withstand your own class features. Maybe advantage on saves against it at 3rd, poison resistance at 6th, immunity to the poisoned condition at 11th, and poison immunity at 17th.

Monks become immune to Poison at level 10, but I could def see making them resistant at level 3.

sandmote
2020-10-23, 03:06 PM
Monks become immune to Poison at level 10, but I could def see making them resistant at level 3.

After looking it up, I was treating that wording incorrectly. But yeah, some resistance early would probably help differentiate this from a other monks.