PDA

View Full Version : How do slippers of spider climbing actually work?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-20, 07:27 PM
"Slippers of Spider Climbing
When worn, a pair of these slippers enable movement on vertical surfaces or even upside down along ceilings, leaving the wearer’s hands free. Her speed is 20 feet. Severely slippery surfaces—icy, oiled, or greased surfaces— make these slippers useless. The slippers can be used for 10 minutes per day, split up as the wearer chooses.

Faint transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, spider climb; Price 4,800 gp; Weight ½ lb."

How do you climb a wall without using your hands? I know you can "walk" on ceilings but how does one actually "climb" a wall with just feet?

rrwoods
2020-10-20, 07:31 PM
I've always imagined it that you literally walk on the wall like it was a floor, sticking out from it horizontally. The description doesn't directly say that, but I think we can extrapolate from the "upside down along ceilings" text into the (not-present-but-probably-true) "sideways along walls" text.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-20, 07:34 PM
I've always imagined it that you literally walk on the wall like it was a floor, sticking out from it horizontally.

That was my initial thought but then how does gravity fit into all of that? Or is it just simply summed up by saying "it's magic"?

Thurbane
2020-10-20, 07:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovo6zwv6DX4

Venger
2020-10-20, 07:47 PM
You just walk up the wall (https://youtu.be/b1AQjcmzvx8?t=137) It mentions hands because spider climb requires you use your hands. Gravity has no special effect on you as you do this, same as any other time.

tyckspoon
2020-10-20, 07:48 PM
That was my initial thought but then how does gravity fit into all of that? Or is it just simply summed up by saying "it's magic"?

Yup. It's magic, it does what the description says it does, if you come up with some reason it should *not* do what the description clearly says that it does then you probably are thinking about it too hard. D&D magic is not intended to stand up to any serious scrutiny about how it works.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-20, 08:10 PM
You just walk up the wall (https://youtu.be/b1AQjcmzvx8?t=137) Gravity has no special effect on you as you do this, same as any other time.

Any other time is what I am trying to figure out how it deals with it. If you try walking up a wall with slippers gravity is still in effect.
If you drink a potion (or cast the spell) spider climb you need to use all your muscles and especially your hands as well.
I always thought they should be slippers AND gloves of spider climbing.

Now lets look at the spider cloak:

"Cloak of Arachnida
This black garment, embroidered with a weblike pattern in silk, gives the wearer the ability to climb as if a spider climb spell had been placed upon her. In addition, the cloak grants her immunity to entrapment by web spells or webs of any sort—she can actually move in webs at half her normal speed. Once per day, the wearer of this cloak can cast web. She also gains a +2 luck bonus on all Fortitude saves against poison from spiders.

Faint conjuration and transmutation; CL 6th; Craft Wondrous Item, spider climb, web; Price 14,000 gp; Weight 1 lb."

It just gives you the full effect of climbing like a spider. Both hands and feet. Same as the spell.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-20, 08:13 PM
Yup. It's magic, it does what the description says it does, if you come up with some reason it should *not* do what the description clearly says that it does then you probably are thinking about it too hard. D&D magic is not intended to stand up to any serious scrutiny about how it works.

Yep "It's magic what are you expecting? Perhaps something understandable? Look kid, it's magic. Just leave it at that. Go poking around with it and you wont like the results."

rel
2020-10-20, 08:29 PM
Mechanically? Like the text says, you walk on walls and ceilings.
Thematically? You look and act as though gravity is acting towards whatever surface you are standing on.

Does it need a house rule? Well, that depends on the game. If you are already in the habit of making house rules in the same vein like flyers risking fouling their wings in tight spaces or epic balance check uses being forbidden for realism reasons then adjusting the slippers would be an expected change in line with existing ones.
If things are generally played by the book then changing the slippers seems like an odd place to start making house rules.

Jay R
2020-10-20, 10:08 PM
They work like Spider-Man. You actually stick to the wall.

Duff
2020-10-20, 10:41 PM
I think it's simplest to say it changes gravity for you and your gear. That way, when you walk down the wall facing down, you don't have your cloak falling over your head. and when you walk on the roof your sword doesn't fall out of it's sheath. And it reduces shenanigans around having any dangling cloaks or other gear grabbed and used to pull you off your wall/roof.
Assume anything which isn't attached to you is gravity as normal. Make any other rulings if weird situations come up.

Ramza00
2020-10-20, 10:42 PM
Spider-Climb in 3.5 is Transmutation and 2nd level
Levitate in 3.5 is Transmutation and 2nd level.

I say the spells alter your personal subjective gravity, once a foot touches a surface you can walk on it irrespective of gravity. The boots merely do not mention Levitate for it would create confusion and change how many spells needed to create the boots.

Alcore
2020-10-20, 10:48 PM
Don't think too hard on it...

But you are... so am I...

Realistically just walking up is what they had in mind. Presumably the enchantment covers all physics being messed with that would cause adverse effects for traveling in that manner. No matter which way your head is pointed we were built for vertical movement not horizontal (though up side down presents new health hazards for long term).

I'm thinking more like Spiderman in actuality.

eyebreaker7
2020-10-20, 11:45 PM
If I cut off Spider-Man's feet, hollow them out and wear them as slippers, would they be in a sense slippers of spider climbing? lol. Sorry Spidey, wouldn't try just a curious though. No worries my friend :)

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-21, 12:57 AM
While Spider-Man can just stand up straight sideways from a wall, he still normally climbs using his hands and feet like what's described by the spider climb spell.

Personally, I would envision the slippers like sci-fi magnet boots in zero-G.

Venger
2020-10-21, 01:29 AM
If I cut off Spider-Man's feet, hollow them out and wear them as slippers, would they be in a sense slippers of spider climbing? lol. Sorry Spidey, wouldn't try just a curious though. No worries my friend :)

Spider-Man consciously controls cilia present on all surfaces of his body to selectively stick to walls with his hands and feet and also occasionally do stuff like let unconscious people stick to his back while he carries them away from danger. This is why his fist doesn't stick to bad guys every time he throws a punch. His severed, hollow feet would probably have the hairs go limp due to not getting signals from his brain telling them to stand on end, though it's possible if they were extended when you cut them off they'd be stuck in sticky mode. Either way, they would not be useful for someone else to use them to climb stuff.

The Random NPC
2020-10-21, 02:09 AM
While Spider-Man can just stand up straight sideways from a wall, he still normally climbs using his hands and feet like what's described by the spider climb spell.

Personally, I would envision the slippers like sci-fi magnet boots in zero-G.

Not only can he stand, he can walk, and even run up walls. He doesn't normally do so for a variety of reasons, ranging from it's harder to it's not as cool.

He's also really strong, so strong that it's easier to destroy whatever he's gripping than it is to make him lose his grip.

Alcore
2020-10-21, 10:16 AM
Spider-Man consciously controls cilia present on all surfaces of his body to selectively stick to walls with his hands and feet and also occasionally do stuff like let unconscious people stick to his back while he carries them away from danger. This is why his fist doesn't stick to bad guys every time he throws a punch. His severed, hollow feet would probably have the hairs go limp due to not getting signals from his brain telling them to stand on end, though it's possible if they were extended when you cut them off they'd be stuck in sticky mode. Either way, they would not be useful for someone else to use them to climb stuff.

i've also seen him "sit" on a wall. using the hairs on his butt (thus freeing up one or both hands artist depending) and thus I imagine the most comfortable way to use the slippers will make the person look like spiderman.

Ramza00
2020-10-21, 10:53 PM
Not only can he stand, he can walk, and even run up walls. He doesn't normally do so for a variety of reasons, ranging from it's harder to it's not as cool.

He's also really strong, so strong that it's easier to destroy whatever he's gripping than it is to make him lose his grip.

The only reason why Spider-Man does not do this to save on webfluid, is he is so acrobatic he can just up a building by using two sizes of the building in an alleyway jump to wall A, then jump to wall B, and so on. This is more fun to draw for the artists, more kinetic for the reader, and effortless with what we are told by Spider-Man.

Venger
2020-10-21, 11:24 PM
The only reason why Spider-Man does not do this to save on webfluid, is he is so acrobatic he can just up a building by using two sizes of the building in an alleyway jump to wall A, then jump to wall B, and so on. This is more fun to draw for the artists, more kinetic for the reader, and effortless with what we are told by Spider-Man.

Spider-Man has not used web fluid in decades. He produces organic webbing ever since being visited by the god of spiders. Wall crawling is good when it comes to stealth which he needs to do a lot since it doesn't leave big hanks of web lying around.

Blackhawk748
2020-10-22, 04:40 AM
Think Dracula from Van Helsing. You just walk straight up the wall and that is now "down"

noob
2020-10-22, 04:43 AM
Maybe the slippers makes a lot of spiders everywhere you walk that holds your boots to the ground (making you need to skate along the ground instead of taking steps) and when needed climbs around?
It would not make more sense but it would add the spider back in the spider climb.

ShurikVch
2020-10-22, 06:25 AM
Don't think too hard on it...

But you are... so am I...

Realistically just walking up is what they had in mind. Presumably the enchantment covers all physics being messed with that would cause adverse effects for traveling in that manner. No matter which way your head is pointed we were built for vertical movement not horizontal (though up side down presents new health hazards for long term).

I'm thinking more like Spiderman in actuality.
More like this:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LsuXqS6BsAw/SB5GnFMiBgI/AAAAAAAAAJw/xTQI6sPKyRc/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/escaleras2.jpg

:smallwink:

Batcathat
2020-10-22, 07:00 AM
Spider-Man has not used web fluid in decades. He produces organic webbing ever since being visited by the god of spiders.

Are you sure? I thought he changed back, though I admittedly doesn't keep up that well with comics anymore.

Venger
2020-10-22, 07:26 AM
As far as I know, after going through that weird cocoon thing in "the other" storyline, he gained the ability to produce organic webbing along with giant stingers that shoot out of his wrists that to my knowledge he never used again. This was a few months after the release of "Spider-Man 2" the movie and may have been done to make the comics more like the movies for people who were coming over after having watched it. I think he kept the organic webbing until the "one more day" storyline which reset all aspects of his character to how he was immediately after becoming spider-man (including using mechanical web shooters.) I thought that after that storyline was ultimately undone, he returned to having the capability to produce organic webbing alongside all the other stuff going back to normal. It may well be a case of artists who don't consult the character bible drawing mechanical web shooters based on their outdated familiarity with the character, same as how Bane hasn't used venom in decades but when he shows up in a crowd scene or something, he usually has the big venom tubes and scuba mask and whatnot.

TheCount
2020-10-22, 07:48 AM
I always thought its like when the characters in cartoons use glue, honey or some other adhesive to thier boots, without thesucking noises.

There is also the spell, subjective gravity, from one of the planar books, and maybe a boot made with it too?

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-22, 01:00 PM
Even when Spider-Man did use mechanical web shooters, he didn't use them to physically climb buildings. Those are for swinging between buildings and tying people up and stuff. The wall crawling is a separate thing.

Real spiders don't use their webs to walk on the walls and ceiling, either.

Ramza00
2020-10-22, 02:42 PM
Even when Spider-Man did use mechanical web shooters, he didn't use them to physically climb buildings. Those are for swinging between buildings and tying people up and stuff. The wall crawling is a separate thing.

He continuously uses it to get "away" from people after setting them down, get away from family, friends, allies, people he rescued etc, this is done on comic panel but also cartoon cutaway.

This method was probably used for dramatic scene change much like you need Superman to do "pow" right when he starts flying, make the energy kinetic to keep excitement going while doing the scene change.

The Random NPC
2020-10-22, 06:51 PM

Real spiders don't use their webs to walk on the walls and ceiling, either.

He does when he needs to go really fast, using it to boost and maneuver around. He normally doesn't do that though, because he normally doesn't need to go that fast.

Sir_Chivalry
2020-10-22, 07:03 PM
As far as I know, after going through that weird cocoon thing in "the other" storyline, he gained the ability to produce organic webbing along with giant stingers that shoot out of his wrists that to my knowledge he never used again. This was a few months after the release of "Spider-Man 2" the movie and may have been done to make the comics more like the movies for people who were coming over after having watched it. I think he kept the organic webbing until the "one more day" storyline which reset all aspects of his character to how he was immediately after becoming spider-man (including using mechanical web shooters.) I thought that after that storyline was ultimately undone, he returned to having the capability to produce organic webbing alongside all the other stuff going back to normal. It may well be a case of artists who don't consult the character bible drawing mechanical web shooters based on their outdated familiarity with the character, same as how Bane hasn't used venom in decades but when he shows up in a crowd scene or something, he usually has the big venom tubes and scuba mask and whatnot.

Somewhat off-topic but since you seem to be out of date . . .

Spider-Man had organic webbing from The Other (ending in 2006) until One More Day (2007), when he was reset to have always used mechanical webshooters. One More Day was thirteen years ago. So the artist's are in fact up to date on their character bible, and the organic webshooters lasted for a fairly short period of time (though yes it was to bring the comics in line with the 2004 Spider-Man 2 film)

Bane used venom as recently as the Secret Six in what I'd assume you'd consider the core continuity (excluding the New 52 which I doubt counts) the finale of which involved venom (2011)

KillianHawkeye
2020-10-22, 10:37 PM
He continuously uses it to get "away" from people after setting them down, get away from family, friends, allies, people he rescued etc, this is done on comic panel but also cartoon cutaway.

This method was probably used for dramatic scene change much like you need Superman to do "pow" right when he starts flying, make the energy kinetic to keep excitement going while doing the scene change.

He does when he needs to go really fast, using it to boost and maneuver around. He normally doesn't do that though, because he normally doesn't need to go that fast.

I did not know that. I'm mostly familiar with the films, the 90s cartoon and 201-something Ultimate Spiderman cartoon, however, not the comics.