PDA

View Full Version : Is/are there any cleric domains that give you a pet like in NwN2?

eyebreaker7
2020-10-21, 02:49 PM
It's been a long time since I played but I think if you took the animal domain you got a free animal companion? Any domains that do something like that?

liquidformat
2020-10-21, 03:06 PM
It's been a long time since I played but I think if you took the animal domain you got a free animal companion? Any domains that do something like that?

In 3.0 Animal Domain did give you an animal companion, in 3.5 it was horribly nerfed down to speak with animal once per day. The Air, Earth, Fire, Plant, and Water domains each give you the power to rebuke their respective creature types so that does give you 'animal companions' in a broad sense, a couple of the PRCs do give you companions as well. However, there isn't any domains that give you companions. You could also take wild cohort or see if your dm would let you have it for free with the animal domain...

Troacctid
2020-10-21, 03:09 PM
Not in 3.5, although I wouldn't be surprised if Pathfinder had one. NWN was based on 3.0, where the Animal domain let you use animal friendship 1/day as a spell-like ability, which was how you gained animal companions at the time. The 3.5 update changed it to speak with animals, and added a class skill to help make up for the nerf.

There is an ACF that lets you trade your turning for an animal companion, if that helps!

Eldonauran
2020-10-21, 03:21 PM
Not in 3.5, although I wouldn't be surprised if Pathfinder had one.
It does indeed. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo-domains/animal-domain/) Though it kicks in at level 4 and you need to take Boon Companion to get it back up to your full level.

Ramza00
2020-10-21, 04:10 PM
Not in 3.5, although I wouldn't be surprised if Pathfinder had one.

There are several ways to get animal companion via domains (and other options) in Pathfinder. Note the actual mechanics of animal companions got a complete rework in Pathfinder and thus the idea is similar but the actual rules are different.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/69jcqy/pathfinder_companion_creatures_and_where_to_find/

As you can see the Animal Domain (plus the subdomains of Animal) give an animal companion, plus the Scalykind domain also gives you an Animal Companion but off a selected list.

Furthermore a Cleric can take an Inquisitor Inquisition. Inquisions are not the same thing as Cleric Domains. Inquisitor Inquisitor do not give cleric spells, but a cleric can grab an inquisition for the price of giving up a domain, and since you are a cleric taking 2 domains is easy with the right god. Well the Chivalry Inquisition Domain gives you a mount animal companion as the cavalier ability (aka a smaller list but full effective druid level)

So there are 4 deities listed with the Chivalry Inquisition and on that list Erastil also has the Animal Domain so you can have two Animal Companions. One at a slight delay with Animal Domain, and a mount you also ride.

Note Pathfinder has this rule if they are creatures off different lists (since cavalier is a different list of animals than druid) you get two companions, but if the sources for mounts are identical you instead get a double speed progression for your animal companion. Now Pathfinder Society (which I do not play) limits you to one combat Animal Companion and you can have another animal companion but that one only can do move actions. Furthermore while double dipping is allowed the maximum amount of HD for your Pathfinder Society Animal Companion is 1 above your character's HD so no supermount for you.

-----

I may or may not be looking at building an animal companion path of war build based around not cleric but instead inquisitor right about now :smallamused:

Darg
2020-10-22, 01:03 AM
Not in 3.5, although I wouldn't be surprised if Pathfinder had one. NWN was based on 3.0, where the Animal domain let you use animal friendship 1/day as a spell-like ability, which was how you gained animal companions at the time. The 3.5 update changed it to speak with animals, and added a class skill to help make up for the nerf.

There is an ACF that lets you trade your turning for an animal companion, if that helps!

Some googling brings up Dragon #353. At 1st level you give up turning and your literacy to get an animal companion with the progression of a ranger which is half your cleric levels. It's the Shaman no turning acf.