PDA

View Full Version : NPC Class: Alchemist

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-03, 06:03 AM
I'd like to spice up my game's alchemists a bit, especially the monstrous ones that make all those CLW pots the kobolds have. I used the sorcerer class to start, expanded their spell list, gave them more spells to choose from, and added a few surprises.

HD: d6
BAB: Poor
Good Saves: Fort
Spells/Day: As Wizard of same level
Spells Known: As Sorcerer of same level + 1
An alchemist can only learn spells that could be turned into a potion. Those spells can come from any class's list.
Spellcasting: Int determines Save DC & bonus spells.
Special Abilities:
Brew Potion: Alchemists gain Brew Potion as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if they don't qualify for the pre-requisites.
Craft Reserve: As Artificer of same level
Mutagens: At 2nd & 4th level, an alchemist can give himself a 1/day SLA by drinking a special brew. This brew usually causes strange physical side effects. The SLA can be of a spell the alchemist can't cast, but higher level SLAs are significantly weakened. (Basically GM Fiat to give NPC alchemists 1 or 2 neat tricks.)

So, comments?

Hazkali
2007-11-03, 09:20 AM
Hmm, considering that potions may only be of spells of 3rd level or below, then the caveat that they can cast only spells that may be made into potions restricts them to 3rd level spells...which isn't that good.

My personal fix would be to give them the spell progression of the Bard or Duskblade (maxing at 5th or 6th level spells), and give them a spell list that includes all potion-spells, but is not restricted to them.

Also, put some actual crunch into the "mutagens" ability (rather than just call in "DM fiat") and then this might (with a bit more tweaking) make a half-decent PC class as well.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-03, 02:25 PM
Hmm, considering that potions may only be of spells of 3rd level or below, then the caveat that they can cast only spells that may be made into potions restricts them to 3rd level spells...which isn't that good.

This is an NPC class. The whole purpose is to make them interesting without making them that good.

Mr.Moron
2007-11-03, 08:00 PM
Personally, I'd like to see some guidelines on the mutagens. Certainly I understand the merits of DM fiat, but there really should be some starting point. Right now it just feels too vague, even more so than an NPC class should be.

DracoDei
2007-11-05, 12:54 PM
I MIGHT the same basic rules for which spells can be potions EXCEPT for the "Below 3rd level" clause, and then give them all those spells, and then give them the class ability to make potions that do ANY of those, not just stuff under third level... of course with access to spells that are usually Divine, and ones that are usually Arcane, that might be a bit much... and being able to randomly BUY such would be a problem. The fix for that might to say that potions above 3rd level are inherently unstable and must get at least 5 minutes of attention a day each from a member of this class adding small amounts of this and that to keep the balance of mystical forces from slipping off to one side or another... that way the party has to have one of these guys in the party to keep the things around, and at that point who cares if the person made them himself or not (but specify they can't do 'maintenance' on any potion they couldn't make).