PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Questions pertaining to Githyanki Silver Swords vs a creature's Silvery Cord!

Melcar
2020-10-22, 07:02 AM
I was randomly reading up on some stuff, and came across this (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dnd_bgh_004.asp)!

So, I looked at some of the references in my books, but I couldn't find any information that support the claim that the silvery cords of creatures - protected by Mind Blank power - are immune to Githyanki Silver Swords...

Also, in MM a Silvery Cord is described as being treated as a tangible object with an AC equal to that of the creature it belongs to and having hardness 10 and 20 hitpoints. However, the article above does not mention AC...

Lastly, the above article also mentions a DC 13 fortitude save or be forced to return to your body, when someone is attacking your silvery cord... however I can't find this rule anywhere either...

So, I'm wondering what exactly are the rules governing an astral traveler (traveling by use of the arcane spell Astral Travel) when dealing with an attack made by a githyanki wielding a Githyanki Silver Sword, who is attacking said creatures Silvery Cord?

Thanks in advance!

ShurikVch
2020-10-22, 12:57 PM
So, I looked at some of the references in my books, but I couldn't find any information that support the claim that the silvery cords of creatures - protected by Mind Blank power - are immune to Githyanki Silver Swords...
Mind Blank giving immunity to Silver Swords was 3.0 thing - 3.5 didn't repeated it (although didn't forbid it too)
Thus, it's a fringe benefit for those who using rules from original Psionics Handbook

Also, in MM a Silvery Cord is described as being treated as a tangible object with an AC equal to that of the creature it belongs to and having hardness 10 and 20 hitpoints. However, the article above does not mention AC...
AC was mentioned even in the original Psionics Handbook
Omission in the article don't mean there are no AC
Besides, AC was also mentioned in the Strengthen Astral Cord feat (Dragon #306), which gives +4 deflection to AC of your silvery cord, increase its hardness to 15 and hp to 40

Lastly, the above article also mentions a DC 13 fortitude save or be forced to return to your body, when someone is attacking your silvery cord... however I can't find this rule anywhere either...
It's in the Expanded Psionics Handbook

Gusmo
2020-10-23, 09:11 PM
Silver swords and silver cords are discussed more in either Manual of the Planes or Planar Handbook. I forget which. Whichever is the correct book also has a monster capable of destroying silver cords called the astral dreadnought. There's also a spell called Snare Astral Traveler... somewhere, I forget.

ShurikVch
2020-10-24, 05:21 AM
The most up-to-date info about the Githyanki Silver Sword, AFAIK, is in the Expanded Psionics Handbook, Chapter 7: Psionic Items
Manual of the Planes have Astral Dreadnought - with Sever Silver Cord SA
Planar Handbook have Astral Kraken - they don't severing Silver Cord, but instead cocooning astral travelers and tuck them inside their body (to be affected with daily no-save energy drain)

Melcar
2020-12-30, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the responses

I have a few followup questions

1) Are there any spells or items that either increase one's silver cords durability or protects if from either a astral dreadnaught or silver sword?

2) It is stated in the Expanded Psionics handbook that by using the sunder attack action, the wielder of a githyanki silver sword can attack an astral travelers silver cord. Furthermore it is stated that the cord trails 5 feet behind the traveler it is attached to, and that it can only be attacked by someone adjacent to the traveler. So assuming im astral traveling from my pocket plane to the material plane and I'm now on/in the material plane... can my astral cord in fact be attacked on the astral plane?

3) It is mentioned that the attack provokes an AoO, which I assume happens because of the use of the Sunder attack action. Would it be correct to assume anyone with the improved sunder feat would not provoke that AoO?

Again thanks for all the help!

ShurikVch
2020-12-31, 01:53 PM
1) Are there any spells or items that either increase one's silver cords durability or protects if from either a astral dreadnaught or silver sword?
Not a "spells or item", but Dragon #306 have the Strengthen Astral Cord feat, which adds to +4 deflection to AC of the astral cord, increase astral cord's hardness to 15, and hp to 40

Also, you can sidestep the whole "astral cord" issue by being a non-Native Outsider, Elemental, or Incorporeal creature, because all of those move to Astral completely, leave no body behind, thus - no astral cord too

3) It is mentioned that the attack provokes an AoO, which I assume happens because of the use of the Sunder attack action. Would it be correct to assume anyone with the improved sunder feat would not provoke that AoO?
It's unclear
Improved Sunder may do it
but there is also the Silver Cord Strike feat (Dungeon #100), the sole purpose of which is to prevent AoO when you strike the astral traveler's silver cord

Melcar
2021-01-03, 07:51 AM
Not a "spells or item", but Dragon #306 have the Strengthen Astral Cord feat, which adds to +4 deflection to AC of the astral cord, increase astral cord's hardness to 15, and hp to 40

Also, you can sidestep the whole "astral cord" issue by being a non-Native Outsider, Elemental, or Incorporeal creature, because all of those move to Astral completely, leave no body behind, thus - no astral cord too

It's unclear
Improved Sunder may do it
but there is also the Silver Cord Strike feat (Dungeon #100), the sole purpose of which is to prevent AoO when you strike the astral traveler's silver cord

I knew about the Strengthen Astral Cord feat, but yeah it was an item or spell I wanted since its way too circumstantial to ever spend a feat on in my opinion!

The Silver Cord Strike feat I didn't know of, and might indicate that whether or not its a sunder attempts it will trigger an AoO...

Thanks again!

I still haven't been able to find out whether you can have your silver cord severed if not on the astral plane... It would seem that its only possible by someone adjacent to you, but its unclear to me, if that is only on the astral plane or whether you can have it severed while on a different plane... Like say you are on the material plane, could you have your silver cord severed there? From what I can gather, your silver cord is only attackable on the astral plane... is this correct?