PDA

View Full Version : How much does size effect the game.

Throne12
2020-10-22, 07:21 AM
I'm working on a sudclass when at 3rd level you count as large size. Then at 6th level you can go up to huge.

So I'm trying to figure out how much is really effects. Yes I understand weapons get an additional damage dice and your carry, lift, push change.

sayaijin
2020-10-22, 07:34 AM
This is probably obvious, but the biggest impact is the number of squares you take up. This increases both the number of creatures you can threaten with opportunity attacks and the number of creatures that can attack you at one time.

There's also the fact that hostile creatures two sizes smaller than you can move through your space as difficult terrain.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#MovementandPosition

Beyond that, there's the UA fighter subclass that can become a large creature and there's the UA fighter brute subclass. Both of those seem like good places for you to start when it comes to balancing your subclass.

nickl_2000
2020-10-22, 07:34 AM
Fitting into dungeons and small spaces would be a big impact. I'm playing Mad Mage right now and my Paladin's Horse can get in the way already, huge flat out wouldn't fit.

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-22, 07:54 AM
I'm working on a sudclass when at 3rd level you count as large size. Then at 6th level you can go up to huge.

So I'm trying to figure out how much is really effects. Yes I understand weapons get an additional damage dice and your carry, lift, push change. This is a bit of a problem.

The target of your shove must be no more than one size larger than you, and it must be within your reach. You'll be able to shove or knock prone huge, rathat than large and smaller, enemies, and then be able to shove and knock prone Gargantuan creatures.

It's a growth potion with a permanent spell (which isn't in the game for a good reason). And then you've stacked the same magical effect and made it permanent.

The game is built on the framework of PCs being Medium sized. (Which is another reason why gnomes and halflings need to be deleted ... :smallyuk: )

False God
2020-10-22, 08:03 AM
Not too terribly much since there's no scaling modifiers like in 3.5. Yeah you carry more(get ready to be the party pack mule), yeah you threaten more but in turn can be threatened more, but the lack of OAs on your end really leaves you at more of a disadvantage than your enemies.

Your biggest issue (buh dum tish) is just that you're big. You don't fit in doors and dungeons, you need more cover to hide, so on.

jojosskul
2020-10-22, 08:08 AM
If someone using the subclass decides to use a Reach weapon the implications are huge. Pun not intended.

A medium creature using a reach weapon can affect 22 sqaures.

A large creature with a reach weapon can affect 32 squares.

A huge creature with a reach weapon can affect 40 squares.

Basically when you add in reach weapons a huge creature can threaten a gigantic chunk of the map at once. Throw in sentinel and PAM and if it weren't for the one reaction per round rule nothing would ever get past them.

Mastikator
2020-10-22, 08:30 AM
If someone using the subclass decides to use a Reach weapon the implications are huge. Pun not intended.

A medium creature using a reach weapon can affect 22 sqaures.

A large creature with a reach weapon can affect 32 squares.

A huge creature with a reach weapon can affect 40 squares.

Basically when you add in reach weapons a huge creature can threaten a gigantic chunk of the map at once. Throw in sentinel and PAM and if it weren't for the one reaction per round rule nothing would ever get past them.

A Bugbear with Polearm Master feat is beyond approach :smallyuk:

Hal
2020-10-22, 08:50 AM

So I'm trying to figure out how much is really effects. Yes I understand weapons get an additional damage dice and your carry, lift, push change.

Consider this also from an RP perspective. Most cities are built by, and for, medium creatures. If your PC is large or huge, you will have trouble going anywhere in towns and cities. This isn't just fitting into spaces, which isn't a trivial concern, but it's also whether those spaces can actually support you. Let's use an elephant as a basis; as a huge creature, elephants can weigh anywhere from 2-6+ tons. The wooden floor of your local tavern is probably not built to support that kind of mass.

On top of all that, you're going to be terrifying to the locals if you can't turn off the size increase. Even if magic is common in your setting, creatures many times larger than you are just inherently dangerous. People are not going to be super excited about a huge PC just wandering around town.

jojosskul
2020-10-22, 08:57 AM
A Bugbear with Polearm Master feat is beyond approach :smallyuk:

A bugbear with this subclass would threaten 72 squares. Aka the majority of a 10 by 10 battlemap since the bugbear would occupy an additional 9 squares. If you had a 9 by 9 or smaller room the bugbear could just... hit anything in it. Whenever they wanted.

All hail our new bugbear overlords!

Falconcry
2020-10-22, 09:15 AM
Lott Scang my Rune Knight / Armorer can do this already. At level 8 he has Giant’s Might that makes any size now large then from artificer he can enlarge to huge. Since he uses the armorer thunder gauntlet fist weapons extra reach has not been an issue. Since both effects only last one minute travelling through the dungeon is not that bad. With these combinations he can be any size from tiny to huge.

Unoriginal
2020-10-22, 09:21 AM
A Large creature (not an Enlarged one) deals the double of damage dice with their weapon, and an Huge one the triple.

4d6 of Greatsword is a lot, 6d6 even more.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-10-22, 11:23 AM
I think the biggest issue here is "Where does the PC fit in the ordening?"

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-22, 11:41 AM
A Large creature (not an Enlarged one) deals the double of damage dice with their weapon, and an Huge one the triple.

4d6 of Greatsword is a lot, 6d6 even more. What you seem to be telling me is that size matters. :smallconfused:

Throne12
2020-10-22, 12:11 PM
My homebrewed world has priest and priestess that wear powerarmor like suits or armor to combat yetis and Remorhazes (huge size fire centipede or how one of my players describe it cobra centipede). So I didnt want to go too techy with powerarmor. So I'm working a monk order. That create a special armor they wear and train in and they can spend ki to grow larger in size to fight these big creatures. So I'm creating the Way of Giant Defender. If your having a hard time picturing this watch some clips of Alphonso fight from Fullmetal alchemist.

elyktsorb
2020-10-22, 12:14 PM
A bugbear with this subclass would threaten 72 squares. Aka the majority of a 10 by 10 battlemap since the bugbear would occupy an additional 9 squares. If you had a 9 by 9 or smaller room the bugbear could just... hit anything in it. Whenever they wanted.

All hail our new bugbear overlords!

Actually their ability reads as only letting them have the additional 5ft of reach on melee attacks on their turn, meaning Bugbears don't have that 5ft reach to use for opportunity attacks and therefor only threaten the usual amount of spaces.

jojosskul
2020-10-22, 12:44 PM
Actually their ability reads as only letting them have the additional 5ft of reach on melee attacks on their turn, meaning Bugbears don't have that 5ft reach to use for opportunity attacks and therefor only threaten the usual amount of spaces.

True enough, but even with it only affecting their turn the mental image of a giant bugbear reaching over two ranks of other creatures to pop you on the head with a glaive is disconcerting.

solidork
2020-10-22, 02:53 PM
We've been playing through a mashup of the published campaigns and one of our party members is a homebrew Dragon PC that is Large. It's been a struggle in some places, but we've made it work.

I think a permanently huge character wouldn't be practical, though.

MinotaurWarrior
2020-10-22, 03:23 PM
Large size isn't that big of a deal because you can squeeze into a medium space. Huge is where the problem starts.