PDA

View Full Version : Question on greater spells

the_tick_rules
2020-10-22, 01:36 PM
I came across something in magic of faerun while looking up that cowl of warding that is so popular. I found something else I see potential it, the spellblade property. It makes the wielder immune to one spell. I was wondering if dispel magic and greater dispel magic would be considered the same spell for this defense?

Fouredged Sword
2020-10-22, 02:43 PM
I came across something in magic of faerun while looking up that cowl of warding that is so popular. I found something else I see potential it, the spellblade property. It makes the wielder immune to one spell. I was wondering if dispel magic and greater dispel magic would be considered the same spell for this defense?

No. They have different entries. Dispel magic is one spell. Greater dispel magic is a second spell that has an effect that references dispel magic to avoid having to write the text twice.

Melcar
2020-10-22, 05:49 PM

The short answer is no! If you think about it, dispel magic affects magic, you do not get dispelled, your spells do!

Edit: I miss read your post - dispel magic and greater dispel magic are two separate spells, however none of them are is viable spells for spellblade at all!

sreservoir
2020-10-22, 06:11 PM
The short answer is no! If you think about it, dispel magic affects magic, you do not get dispelled, your spells do!

Edit: I miss read your post - dispel magic and greater dispel magic are two separate spells, however none of them are is viable spells for spellblade at all!

Dispel magic has a creature-targeted variant (which is usually the most threatening variant) and a spellblade would catch that. It wouldn't catch an area dispel, a dispel targeted at a particular spell, or a dispel targeting the blade itself, though.

Now that I look at it though, do spellblades actually work more than once? The description mentions "When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell," but does it ever actually reset?

(It's probably overpriced if it only works once, but it's pretty underpriced if it works repeatedly, so uhhh)

Melcar
2020-10-22, 07:59 PM
Dispel magic has a creature-targeted variant (which is usually the most threatening variant) and a spellblade would catch that. It wouldn't catch an area dispel, a dispel targeted at a particular spell, or a dispel targeting the blade itself, though.

Now that I look at it though, do spellblades actually work more than once? The description mentions "When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell," but does it ever actually reset?

(It's probably overpriced if it only works once, but it's pretty underpriced if it works repeatedly, so uhhh)

I would argue, that since dispel magic does not affect the target, but the target's buff spells, you can't acutally be immune to it, since its not the immune target who are getting hit and being affected. And that is despite the target line in the spell, might include "one creature" which by a strict RAW reading would be enough - but since we know that dispel magic targets a target's ongoing spell effects and not the target itself, I would argue that you cannot be immune to the spell though the use of spellblade. Dispel magic says under targeted dispel that you make a dispel check against each of the target creatures ongoing spell effects, not the creature itself... ergo you cannot be immune because its not actually hitting you. You might find some way you make your spells more difficult to dispel: Ring of Enduring Arcana, Spell Girding Feat, Mysterious Magic feat, orange ioun stone, Ring of Arcane Might, becomming an arch mage... there are possibly more!

I would argue tho, that you can also achieve the desired effect by utilizing a Ring of Counterspells, with a dispel/greater dispel magic cast into it. However that too is only 1 time!

Furthermore, you are correct that its only 1 (the next) spell the blade negates... its not an continues effect.

Just my two cents!

the_tick_rules
2020-10-22, 11:40 PM
i was specifically thinking of protecting magical items. Magical items can only be suppressed by the targeted version not the area effect. I guess technically it's targeting the item not you but that's cutting the hair pretty fine to me. I sure read it as permanent effect, it says it makes you immune to a spell, immunity sounds pretty permanent to me.

ixrisor
2020-10-23, 02:58 AM
It targets you, not the items. The effect of being targeted is your items/buffs are dispelled, but it doesn’t target them, it targets “one creature”. If it targeted the items it would say “the items and spells worn by or affecting one creature”

Melcar
2020-10-23, 06:07 AM
It targets you, not the items. The effect of being targeted is your items/buffs are dispelled, but it doesn’t target them, it targets “one creature”. If it targeted the items it would say “the items and spells worn by or affecting one creature”

But the immunity affects you, not your items. How is your personnal immunity to being dispelled (something you already are) going to help items who are very vulnerable to it. Its not like your spells wont be dispelled because you are immune... Your spell or magic items do not become immune just because you do!

Dispel magic might target you, but it does not affect you...

Darg
2020-10-23, 08:57 AM
The wielder of a spellblade weapon is immune to a single spell chosen at the time the weapon is created. The selected spell must be one that is targeted against the wielder, not one that affects an area or creates an effect. When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell, the weapon absorbs it. On his next turn, he can opt to either let the spell drain harmlessly away or direct it at a new target as a free action.

The only qualification for it to work is that the spell targets the wielder. So it would definitely work on targeted dispel. Nothing says that the effect is limited to one time either.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-10-23, 09:40 AM
There are three ways to use a targeted dispel - on a creature, on an object or on a spell directly.

The difference between targeting a creature or object vs a spell with Dispel Magic is that targeting the creature or object affects all spells affecting it, targeting a spell just affects that single one.
A targeted dispel on a creature does not affect its worn or held gear, you have to target magic items specifically.

A Spellblade keyed to Dispel Magic would block only dispels targeted at the wielder.

You also can't target a spell with Dispel Magic unless you have a way to perceive it. Something like Stinking Cloud is easy, but most buffs are invisible to mundane sight.
So you need either Detect Magic (though note you'll need 3 rounds of observation to target a specific spell and you can only identify by school) or more practically Arcane Sight.

Darg
2020-10-23, 01:49 PM
The spell Dispel targets a spellcaster, object, creature, or a 20 ft area. The effect can target a specific spell on a creature or object. Dispel targets the creature and the effect targets the specific effect to dispel. I don't see how spellblade wouldn't protect against it? I guess you could target the weapon first then target the creature.

Even if you don't think dispel targets the creature you would need to use something like greater arcane sight to differentiate the spells in or on a location to even target a specific spell or effect. Detect magic can't differentiate between the auras but it does tell you what schools are involved in the location.