PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.PF] Spheres of power - Clarification: "Nature" sphere, pummel ability

Kaleph
2020-10-23, 01:44 AM
Hi, with my group we've imported spheres of power into a 3.5 game, but we don't understand some aspects of the pummel ability, and in particular:

shall we add the strength modifier to the standard damage?
If so, since the "creature" has a single natural attack, does it get 1.5 times the strength bonus?
What is intended with size bonus?

Regarding the 3rd point, it looks like the (negative) size modifiers to attack rolls and AC are meant, but the word bonus is confusing.

Thank you in advance for the help!

StSword
2020-10-23, 02:46 AM
1)It attacks as a primary natural attack, so yes, you add the strength bonus to damage.

2) Yes, it should get the bonus for having only one natural attack.

3) The size bonuses are listed, I don't see where the confusion comes in.

Kaleph
2020-10-23, 03:04 AM
1)It attacks as a primary natural attack, so yes, you add the strength bonus to damage.

2) Yes, it should get the bonus for having only one natural attack.

3) The size bonuses are listed, I don't see where the confusion comes in.

Thank you. The confusion comes from the fact that, say, large size confers a +1 size bonus; what does this bonus apply to? Size modifiers apply in the first place to attack rolls and AC, as I've wrote. Anyhow, I'm surprised that large size gives apparently a +1 to-hit and +1 AC, which sounds weird. I guess I'm reading it wrong?

StSword
2020-10-23, 03:20 AM
Thank you. The confusion comes from the fact that, say, large size confers a +1 size bonus; what does this bonus apply to? Size modifiers apply in the first place to attack rolls and AC, as I've wrote. Anyhow, I'm surprised that large size gives apparently a +1 to-hit and +1 AC, which sounds weird. I guess I'm reading it wrong?

The size modifier applies to the branches' to hit rolls, the formula is " your caster level + its Strength modifier + its size modifier."

DrMartin
2020-10-23, 03:24 AM
You add the size modifier as a bonus to the branch to-hit roll, as described in the pummel ability.

As to why: my guess is that the size modifier is a balancing factor between animating the largest possible branch and multiple ones: since they end up with the same strength modifier it would otherwise always be better, damage-wise, to animate more smaller branches than a single large one. This way the tradeoff at for instance level 6 is between animating a single large branch that attacks once at +10 for 1d8+4 vs animating two small branches for two attacks at +8 for 1d4+4 each.
If the size bonus wouldn't work the way it's spelled out to work the smaller attacks would be more accurate then the larger ones, making them be always the better choice (without considering reach, but still, I think the point still stands).

Kaleph
2020-10-23, 03:26 AM
Perfectly clear, thank you all.