PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Iconic Oneshot Characters for Absolute Newbies

Pyrophilios
2020-10-23, 08:15 AM
I recently volunteered to provide entertainment for a team event at work and got a lot of interest for DMing an RPG.
All potential players have never played any RPG before and will need a careful introduction with as little complexity as possible.
That includes providing them with pregens without the fiddly bits and only the absolute numbers on their sheets
And since I'm now sitting here creating a selection of level 2 characters, I was wondering which races fitted best to each class and would need the least explanation as well as providing the most fun/empowering experience.

So far I've got:

Half Ork Barbarian
Half Elf Bard
Human Fighter
Dwarf Cleric
Lizard Folk Druid
Halfling Rogue
Aarakokra Monk
Dragonborn Paladin
Elf Ranger
Tabaxi Sorcerer
Tiefling Warlock
Gnome Wizard

What are your thoughts? Any better fits/easier to understand combinations?
Suggestions for iconic (or clished) backgrounds for each class?

supercereal
2020-10-23, 08:37 AM
Half Ork Barbarian
Half Elf Bard
Human Fighter
Dwarf Cleric
Lizard Folk Druid
Halfling Rogue
Aarakokra Monk
Dragonborn Paladin
Elf Ranger
Tabaxi Sorcerer
Tiefling Warlock
Gnome Wizard

What are your thoughts? Any better fits/easier to understand combinations?
Suggestions for iconic (or clished) backgrounds for each class?

I would not go for the Half-Orc Barbarian, maybe swapping for the Dwarf (so Dwarf Barbarian and Cleric Half-Orc). Also maybe the Aarakokra may be a little too strange for new players, as well as the Tabaxi. I would put in the Aasimar or the Changeling for Sorcer and maybe a Warforged monk could be a fun concept. As for backgrounds we had a banger with a Noble Barbarian, who just lost her temper really bad. Charlatan, Criminal, Folk Hero, Sailor, Soldier and Urchin backgrounds all adds a little bit of flavor to unsuspectd classes: a Charlatan Cleric, a Sailor Wizard, a Folk Hero Druid, a Criminal Bard, an ex-Soldier Rogue, an Urchin Warlock...

Grey Watcher
2020-10-23, 10:30 AM
If you're looking for minimum fiddly bits, Non-Variant Human across the board might be the way to go. They only have static bonuses during character creation, which your players won't have to deal with. Have the other races available and let them know they're slightly more complicated.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-10-23, 10:58 AM
I would add:

Dwarf Fighter (classic)
Elf Wizard

jaappleton
2020-10-23, 11:01 AM
Tordek.
Son of Tordek.
And he's in it for the... Well, if you know, you know.

But yes I second Dwarf Fighter being added.