PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tentalogist (Wizard) - Goofy Halloween subclass

werescythe
2020-10-23, 03:13 PM
You are probably looking at the name of this wizard subclass and going, "huh, what's a Tentalogist?" and while I will go ahead and say that if you have a better name for this concept I am all ears, but basically it is a wizard that creates Rifts that summon forth otherworldly tentacles in reality.

WAIT! DON'T RUN AWAY! It isn't sexy I promise (well, at least I don't think so). :smalleek:

My inspiration for this subclass was the Witchwarper from Starfinder as well as Ninomae Ina'nis (https://virtualyoutuber.fandom.com/wiki/Ninomae_Ina%27nis), a vtuber who summons tentacles with her book.

If you still haven't run away screaming, then here is a link to the gdoc.

Tentalogist (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vTtdV4Uz97uMuY4f_jXoz_jK3-twKu2pVixJ4_x9hB4/edit?usp=sharing)

Now if you see anything that you think could use a bit of balancing, then please feel free to mention it. I'm always happy to receive constructive criticism. It should be noted that there are some strange names for the entities in the gdoc and I will say that the lack of vowels are intentional (for these creatures) and that this was designed for a weird rpg setting idea I had.

Well, thank you for reading this. Maybe I'll try to create a few more subclasses for the Halloween season. :smallbiggrin:

BerzerkerUnit
2020-10-24, 09:22 AM
I submit the following:

Tentacologist as title.

Guiding Glow of Drgrs is weird. Static bumps to attack rolls don’t generally exist. You already have advantage on attacks. I might make it: you and allies have advantage on first attack against against any creature in area (so even the ones that aren’t restrained). Or: when attacking a restrained creature you or one of those immune to the rifts can reroll a d20 (whatever the elven accuracy wording is).
Inky cloud of jhkt isn’t clear on whether it replaces the effect with Blindness or adds it. One is an Ok circumstantial alternative, the other is a large buff when battling casters.

I’m all for themed subclasses. You could also expand this to Eyes or rewrite the fluff entirely for Rainbows come spring time.

Good stuff!

werescythe
2020-10-24, 07:24 PM
Tentacologist as title.

Guiding Glow of Drgrs is weird. Static bumps to attack rolls don’t generally exist. You already have advantage on attacks. I might make it: you and allies have advantage on first attack against against any creature in area (so even the ones that aren’t restrained). Or: when attacking a restrained creature you or one of those immune to the rifts can reroll a d20 (whatever the elven accuracy wording is).
Inky cloud of jhkt isn’t clear on whether it replaces the effect with Blindness or adds it. One is an Ok circumstantial alternative, the other is a large buff when battling casters.

Thank you for the feedback. :smallsmile:

Old Harry MTX
2020-10-26, 04:02 AM
I like the concept, but overall it seems to me a bit overpowered, mainly for the number and/or dimension of the rifts. However, nothing that can't be tweaked.

For the name I would like something "-mancer" style, but neither Tentamancer nor Tentaclemancer convinces me. ^^

werescythe
2020-11-09, 11:17 PM
I like the concept, but overall it seems to me a bit overpowered, mainly for the number and/or dimension of the rifts. However, nothing that can't be tweaked.

For the name I would like something "-mancer" style, but neither Tentamancer nor Tentaclemancer convinces me. ^^

Yeah, I kind of goofed up. It was originally supposed to be half of your Intelligence modifier rounded up (so a max of 3), but I forgot to mention the half, so it was like 5 instead. lol.

I recently went back and fixed it so that the number of Rifts you can summon at a time is equal to half of your Proficiency Bonus, rounded down. That way it kind of takes longer to get multiple Rifts and it encourages the player to limit their multiclassing if they want to benefit from having multiple Rifts.

Still not too sure what name to go with. Tendrimancer doesn't seem much better. Maybe Rivemancer (taking the word, Riven, which could be thought of as a Rift, for the title perhaps).

What do you think?

Old Harry MTX
2020-11-10, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I kind of goofed up. It was originally supposed to be half of your Intelligence modifier rounded up (so a max of 3), but I forgot to mention the half, so it was like 5 instead. lol.

I recently went back and fixed it so that the number of Rifts you can summon at a time is equal to half of your Proficiency Bonus, rounded down. That way it kind of takes longer to get multiple Rifts and it encourages the player to limit their multiclassing if they want to benefit from having multiple Rifts.

Still not too sure what name to go with. Tendrimancer doesn't seem much better. Maybe Rivemancer (taking the word, Riven, which could be thought of as a Rift, for the title perhaps).

What do you think?

Riftmancer? Voidmancer? Noneuclideanmancer? XD

werescythe
2020-11-10, 12:07 PM
Riftmancer? Voidmancer? Noneuclideanmancer? XD

True, but what do you think about the change to the Rifts?

Old Harry MTX
2020-11-10, 04:16 PM
True, but what do you think about the change to the Rifts?

Much better!