PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin: Oath of Shared Power

Ganryu
2020-10-23, 04:56 PM
I'd love an opinion on this:

Theme is basically moving damage around. When you get hurt, someone else can, when you're healed, you can share it, spell that do both are core to it thematically. A better name would be appreciated. Friend suggest "Oath of equivalent exchange"

Oath of Shared Power

3rd level:

Channel Divinities:

Arcane burden - When an alley within 30 feet of you fails a concentration check, you may assume concentration of that spell instead. The spell becomes yours, and becomes a paladin spell for you. You cannot change targets, or recast it, and it only lasts until it would originally end.

Burden of the Afflicted - Whenever you take damage from a saving throw, you may force the source to make a wisdom saving throw against your DC. On a failure, you take no damage (though you suffer other effects of the saving throw), and another target must make a saving throw against the orginal affect's DC, and on a fail take the damage.

Spells:
1 - Absorb Elements, Bane
2 - Warding Bond, Lesser Restoratoin
3 - Vampiric Touch, Life Transference
4 - Death Ward, Elemental Bane
5 - Sypnatic Static, Enervation

7th - aura ability
Shared Healing - When you recieve healing, you can use your reaction to immediately heal a creature within 30 feet for half amount, you cna use this a number of times equal to your charisma modifier.

15th -
When you use Cleansing touch, if there a creature within 5 feet, you may force that creature to make a wisdom save against your spell DC. On a failure, that creature is now under that magical affect

In addition, whenever you are paralyzed, asleep, petrified, or incapacitated with more than 0 HP, you may roll a 1d20. On a 11 or above, you can use cleansing touch as an action. On a 10 or less, you are unable to, and lose the use of cleansing touch as if you had used it normally.

20th
Arbitor of power
At 20th level, you gain the ability to harness the ability to command power and health of those around. As an action, you can magically become an Arbitor of power, gaining the following benefits for 1 minute:
* A 30 feet radius affect centered around you takes effect. Non allied creatures are unable to be healed in this area.
* Whenever you deal damage to a creature, you are able to heal for the number of dice rolled.
* Attacks against you are made with disadvantage.
* Whenever an allied creature within range of your aura would roll to heal, they instead heal for max amount.

Ganryu
2020-10-27, 11:46 AM
Any balancing suggestions?

Twelvetrees
2020-11-02, 09:52 PM
Let's see what we've got here.

Theme is basically moving damage around. When you get hurt, someone else can, when you're healed, you can share it, spell that do both are core to it thematically. A better name would be appreciated. Friend suggest "Oath of equivalent exchange"
Do you happen to have ideas for what the tenets of this oath would be? This section gives me some clue as to what a paladin of this oath would believe in, but I think a section on tenets would make it crystal clear.

Channel Divinities

Arcane Burden needs some sort of action attached to it. I would assume it requires your reaction, but I'm not seeing that in the ability.

I'm a fan of this mechanic. It allows players to mess with the limits imposed by Concentration, but doesn't outright ignore them. A paladin with this ability also has to be cautious about what concentration spells they may use and has to try to coordinate with the other party members to prioritize spells that need to be kept going.

At the same time, this ability can incentivize play that would otherwise make little sense. You could see a spellcaster intentionally try to lose concentration so the paladin could take over and they could cast another spell that requires concentration. I think you could mitigate this by allowing the ability to be used as a reaction when an ally within 30 feet of you fails a concentration check or when an ally within 30 feet of you casts a spell that requires concentration.

Spells:
1 - Absorb Elements, Bane
2 - Warding Bond, Lesser Restoratoin
3 - Vampiric Touch, Life Transference
4 - Death Ward, Elemental Bane
5 - Sypnatic Static, Enervation

Spells that seem to fit the theme: Warding Bond, Lesser Restoration, Life Transferance, and Death Ward

Spells that don't seem to fit the theme: Absorb Elements, Bane, Vampiric Touch, Elemental Bane, Synaptic Static, and Enervation.

Can you explain what you were going for with the second list that I've called out here? I don't think I fully understand why they where chosen.

1st level spells that I think would fit the theme better: Heroism, Shield of Faith
3rd: Catnap, Flame arrows, or Beacon of Hope
4th: Dimension Door - and I've got nothing else. There's not many fourth level spells that imply sharing.
5th: Rary's Telepathic Bond, Seeming

7th - aura ability

No real comments here, this makes sense.

15th

The first paragraph might be more clear if it ended with "On a failure, you transfer the effects of the spell to that creature instead of ending the spell."

The second ability needs be reworded to work the way you intend it to (and asleep should be replaced with unconscious). None of the conditions you've listed allow you to use actions, unfortunately. Cleansing touch also won't remove the paralyzed condition imposed by a grell's tentacles or any similar condition that isn't caused by a spell.

Here's a suggestion for how it could be reworded:
"At the start of your turn, if you are paralyzed, unconscious, petrified, or incapacitated and have more than 0 hit points, you may roll a d20. On an 11 or above, you are no longer paralyzed, unconscious, petrified, or incapacitated. Each time you roll this d20, it counts as a use of Cleansing Touch."

Arbitor of power

Cool.

I like where this is going. Mechanically, Arcane Burden and the 15th level abilities stand out to me as the reasons I would want to play a paladin of this oath. Moving concentration around isn't something I've seen before, nor is using Cleansing Touch to shift spells around. There isn't much on the story side of things to latch onto, but a paladin who helps others out and works well with them certainly makes sense.