PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Divine/Arcane magical scholar build help

Jervis
2020-10-24, 03:24 AM
I had a character concept in mind for a character that's all about mixing divine and arcane magic with the gimmick of having as many spells as possible. I've got two characters lined up to fill this niche and scratch my Theurge itch. So i was wondering how to handle this and how i should go about building them. First being a Raptorian Sha'ir magical conman and the other being a earth witch elf using early entry and a bunch of shenanigans to get double 9s with Wizard/Archivist and goes on about how the split between divine and arcane magic is arbitrary. I thought i'd make a post about these two and maybe have some fun conversation.

Raptorian is a standard Sha'ir 5/ Skypledged 7/ MotAO 7/ X 1 using double spell pools to have absurd access to spell variety. Obvious feat choices with Arcane Preparation, Nymphs Kiss, and maybe skill focus diplomacy, possibly making my X level PrC bard to add Glibness to my list for character reasons to have high Diplomacy and Bluff to be a philandering party face utility caster. Though i'm not sure what other feats to get on this one. More fond of the other one but the idea of playing a parrot bird person with my best Gilbert Godfred impression and being magical Iago is hilarious.

The second one is weird and honestly a little shaky RAW wise so i thought id ask if this even works, Before i explain, keep in mind the game this is made for isn't in the forgotten realms and place/organization ties are adjusted appropriately. Requirements are taken literally other than that. The build so far uses two flaws to take Heighten spell, Earth sense, and Earth Spell at lv 1 for reasons that will become apparent. Sanctum spell doesn't work because the ruling is that you loose casting progression when you don't qualify, meaning i'll be spending two levels where i loose a level or two of spellcasting if i'm not on solid ground. Sanctum is just way too unreliable. Fire/Grey elf Archivist 1/ Wizard 1/ Durthan 1 (Archivist)/ Mystic Theurge x/ Wild runner 1/ Arcane Hirophant x. As far as i can tell Durthan technically doesn't require human (though the main reason i'm not using Hathran is for backstory reasons and because leadership is banned). I don't know if the acorn trick would even work, if it did i'd probably slap on sanctum spell as a feat just because it's a mostly free spell focus. If anyone knows of a alternative to acorn of far travel please let me know.

In addition to builds i'm looking for some backstory advice, they're mostly just concepts at the moment.

Ruethgar
2020-10-24, 01:49 PM
Go with test based entry into Mystic Theurge for the Wizard Archivist if you can. A bloodline or Laborious Training can cut the skill requirements down as well if need be. That’s doable at level 2 for a level 3 entry and advancement. Make you’re staff your familiar, item familiar, and legacy weapon to advance Theurge via Legacy Champion. That gets you to 17/17 casting. I would fluff your staff as a giant scroll case to emphasize the whole scholarly aspect.