PDA

View Full Version : Different masterworking benefits

haplot
2020-10-24, 08:07 AM
In one of the dragon magazines (260 I believe but could be wrong) there is rules for different masterworking benefits like blood groove, acid washing etc.

Question becomes, do these bonuses get overwritten by the item in question becoming magical (+1 or above)?

Aracor
2020-10-24, 09:02 AM
Because of the fact that they are an enhancement bonus, I personally allow a masterwork weapon to have EITHER a +1 to attack or a +1 to damage.

Giving any other kind of bonus would be flat-out better because it may not disappear once a magical enhancement bonus is applied to the weapon.

I have HEARD of other options such as +1 to crit confirmations or +1 to hardness. Any other masterwork bonuses should be small (at most a +1).

Lilapop
2020-10-24, 09:36 AM
Question becomes, do these bonuses get overwritten by the item in question becoming magical (+1 or above)?
Normal masterwork weapons don't become non-masterwork when you enchant them, the bonuses simply dont stack because they apply to the same rolls and are of the same type. Enhancement bonuses' bonuses to item hitpoints and hardness are untyped though, so they would stack with artisan crafting; and most of the artisan options do something else entirely anyway.

Any other masterwork bonuses should be small (at most a +1).
These have their own increases to marketprice and craft DC above and beyond masterwork, ranging from +50/+3 to +1200/+10. Check Dragon Magazine #358.

Biggus
2020-10-25, 01:47 AM
In one of the dragon magazines (260 I believe but could be wrong) there is rules for different masterworking benefits like blood groove, acid washing etc.

The majority of the special abilities in Dragon #358 are either unnamed or circumstance bonuses, so they stack with all others. As Lilapop says, the only reason masterwork items don't stack with magic weapons is that they both give the same bonus type (enhancement).