PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph edge cases?

SangoProduction
2020-10-24, 03:19 PM
So, say that you were polymorphed, and walk into an antimagic field. Do you lose your polymorph form? I'd assume so, but may as well ask.

If you polymorph into an earth elemental, with earth glide and all that, but then someone somehow manages to target and hit you with dispel magic while you are earth gliding, what happens?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-10-24, 03:36 PM
So, say that you were polymorphed, and walk into an antimagic field. Do you lose your polymorph form? I'd assume so, but may as well ask.

If you polymorph into an earth elemental, with earth glide and all that, but then someone somehow manages to target and hit you with dispel magic while you are earth gliding, what happens?The same thing that happens every night, Pinky. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

...Ahem.

You'd probably either be trapped in the stone and take a ridiculous amount of damage from having your flesh occupying the same space as a large volume of stone, or you'd be shunted into the nearest space large enough to contain you and take damage based on the amount of matter you passed through on the way there. (I believe the standard is 1d6 per 5' moved.)

I imagine the same would happen to an earth elemental who polymorphed into something else, or the duration on your polymorph expires. Or if an earth elemental brought someone along for the earth glide ride and then dropped them.

Hmm. Would an earth elemental who cast alter self on itself be able to take the form of another subtype of elemental, such as fire, air, or water? I doubt it would want to, but I think the rules allow it. I think it would retain its [earth] subtype, though.

Psyren
2020-10-24, 04:22 PM

Yes.

If you polymorph into an earth elemental, with earth glide and all that, but then someone somehow manages to target and hit you with dispel magic while you are earth gliding, what happens?

That would be insanely unlikely given that earth blocks line of effect, but if somehow they were able to remove your spell mid-glide then you would be stuck since gliding creates no tunnel behind you.

A more likely variant of this scenario is your spell running out mid-glide, which would do the same thing.

Cruiser1
2020-10-24, 04:51 PM

There's a RAW precedent with the spell Xorn Movement (SpC) which grants earth glide, and has the following phrase:

Xorn movement lasts a minimum of 1 round/level. If the subject has not emerged into a large enough open space to contain its body comfortably when the spell expires, it is shunted off to the nearest such open space, taking 1d6 points of damage per 5 feet so traveled.

SangoProduction
2020-10-24, 04:56 PM
There's a RAW precedent with the spell Xorn Movement (SpC) which grants earth glide, and has the following phrase:

precedent is very useful. Thanks.

Psyren
2020-10-24, 05:56 PM
That sounds pretty fatal too unless you're gliding close to the surface