PDA

View Full Version : How to describe this aspect of my city?

Aleolus
2020-10-24, 07:45 PM
So, as I have talked about in some of my posts, I am building a city, by the name of Kandis. I have decided that this city is going to be on a point where the barrier between the Material Plane and the Plane of Lust (Nymphology) is rather thin. This will have a minor mechanical effect, but the main result is that the city is going to be more passionate than most, though the main way I want to imply that is by a feeling the characters will get in the city, rather than any description of the kinds of things going on. What would be some good ways to describe this that would convey this kind of information, while still being quite subtle and never explicitly saying anything about it?

Biggus
2020-10-24, 08:30 PM
You feel like it's spring, you feel younger (assuming the characters are over 20yrs or equivalent), your emotions feel close to the surface, you become intensely aware of beauty, you feel tingly, there seem to be a great number of attractive people here, you feel more alive than usual, you feel like dancing, you feel slightly tipsy.

Aleolus
2020-11-02, 04:02 PM
OK, that gives me some good ideas, thank you much. Now, my next question, can anyone give me an estimate of how far a lookout would be able to see from the crows nest on a typical galleon? I want this feeling to start in roughly 6-12 hours of sailing before the ship makes landfall, which I am estimating to be probably about 75 miles (depending on sailing conditions), but how long after this before the city actually comes into sight? I have tried googling this, and just get complicated mathematical formula that I really don't feel like running through.

Biggus
2020-11-02, 04:53 PM
Assuming the ship is on Earth (or a planet of very similar size) and the crow's nest is 115ft tall (couldn't find much info about the typical height of a crow's nest, but that figure came up twice) it'd be a bit over 13 miles. If the planet is larger or the crow's nest higher, it'd be further.

Aleolus
2020-11-02, 04:55 PM
That will do nicely, thank you.

Biggus
2020-11-02, 06:37 PM
I should add for completeness that the 13 mile figure assumes that the land slopes gently up from the sea. If there are any tall buildings near the waterfront, it'll be significantly further. For example, if there was a 115ft-tall lighthouse, you'd be able to see that from twice as far away.

nedz
2020-11-28, 10:46 PM
There is a standard table for this, assuming that your world is the same size as Earth
http://table-references.info/earth-table-distances.php

The height of the object being viewed is also relevant. In general you look up both heights on the table and add them.

Another effect is termed "Seeing" — this is how clear the atmosphere is. If it is foggy, smoky or even just cloudy then this will be very much reduced. In practice Perfect Seeing is very rare.