PDA

View Full Version : Ducktales (2017) part 2 "Let's Get Dangerous"

Ramza00
2020-10-24, 10:17 PM
So here was the previous thread, it has since been closed so I made a new one.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?517102-Ducktales-(2017)

-----

So Disney decided to make the 45 minute Darkwing Duck episode of Ducktales ("Let's Get Dangerous") free on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dw44RV4-tY&feature=emb_title

(eager to watch this episode tomorrow but also to discuss it with the community)

Rogar Demonblud
2020-10-24, 11:06 PM
Be advised it starts slow but picks up steadily starting about, oh, 20 minutes in. It might be the most Huey-centric episode since AstroBOYD, and he's not the main star.

Ramza00
2020-10-24, 11:21 PM
Be advised it starts slow but picks up steadily starting about, oh, 20 minutes in. It might be the most Huey-centric episode since AstroBOYD, and he's not the main star.

Any amazing voice actor work in this episode? (It will be watched tomorrow), if I recall one of the characters in this episode was originally voiced by Tim Curry those 20+ something years ago in the those two other series.

JadedDM
2020-10-25, 05:47 PM
One of the villains is conspicuously silent. Is it because his original voice actor died, maybe?

(Cue Launchpad and Drake: "Well, technically, Bushroot isn't really a villain, per se...")

The Fury
2020-10-29, 02:39 PM
Oh-hohoho!

I've been wondering about a version of Legend of The Chaos God since this series began and now Solego get's namedropped? Heck yes.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-11-17, 01:01 PM
Well that was interesting. Young Della and Emo Donald may be more fun than the triplets.

brionl
2020-11-17, 08:47 PM
Emo tween Donald.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-11-17, 11:47 PM
Oh, other detail I've learned due to actually reading the credits: Zeus is voiced by Michael Chiklis.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-12-02, 12:55 AM
Figures Scrooge's problem with Santa Claws is that he stopped him from gouging people on coal deliveries.

Ramza00
2020-12-02, 01:49 AM
Been watching some other season 3 Ducktales episodes and honestly Let's Get Dangerous is one of the weaker episodes, relying on nostalgia and callbacks to tell the story.

Strigon
2020-12-02, 09:23 AM
Been watching some other season 3 Ducktales episodes and honestly Let's Get Dangerous is one of the weaker episodes, relying on nostalgia and callbacks to tell the story.

As someone who never saw DD originally, that was my impression as well. A lot of it was clearly (and understandably) aimed at those who knew who all these villains were, and got the classic Darkwing Duck references. As a stand-alone episode, though, it wasn't all that.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-12-02, 11:35 AM
Frankly, it's also way to drawn out for what's there. Like they wrote a standard half-hour episode and then had to stretch it to an hour.

Eldan
2020-12-03, 09:24 AM
So, Youtube just showed me about six videos with titles along the lines of "Duck Tales cancelled"?

Divayth Fyr
2020-12-03, 10:06 AM
Probably due to Disney announcing this is the last season and we'll get a "proper" finale in 2021.

Rogar Demonblud
2020-12-03, 12:24 PM
Makes sense. They really aren't selling people on the series any more, as witnessed by how commenting here has fallen off from where it was back in season one. Also, they don't seem to know how to use their pieces. I don't think Mark Beaks (supposed to be their new break out villain) has had more than a cameo this season, ditto the Beagle Boys (the Beagles!) and Flintheart Glomgold.

Ramza00
2020-12-03, 02:51 PM
I don't think Mark Beaks (supposed to be their new break out villain) has had more than a cameo this season, ditto the Beagle Boys (the Beagles!) and Flintheart Glomgold.

The problem with these 3 groups is they are all "local Duckburg" villains*. Thus you need to tell stories with them that are local and not adventure stories in a new place where the new place is part of what makes the story interesting. That said local Duckburg stories allow you opportunities to grow either individual characters per an episode and look at their motivations, backstory, drive as an animating force; Local Duckburg stories also allow you opportunities to grow reciprocal relationships such as two characters lets say Dewey and Webbie to grow closer, or Huey and Louie to explore how they are each other's side of the same chaos with one being more orderly and the other more spontaneous and chaotic.

*Glomgold is the exception of the 3 antagonists for his wealthy and pettiness means he has the opportunity and motive to follow clan McDuck in adventures, you need not set Glomgold in a Duckburg episode for he can travel the world or go in mysterious realms like playing golf for he is Scrooge's foil. Mark Beats has the money and power but never the motive to explore these new places, he is just merely move fast and break things with technology and media that seems all too real now-a-days.

------

One thing that needs to be explored now a days is how streaming allows you to "pause" cartoons and then relaunch them 2 or 3 years later in a way that is much harder to do with live action casts. You can literally write 52 episodes, film them, and then pause everything creating a huge backlog of content only to relaunch the show a few years later after giving the writters time to massage the stories in a way that feels comfortable.

Why isn't this done more? The only thing that makes sense to me is that this is less profitable to do so with how Union Contracts such as Writers Guild of America work with how you get paid for 10 episodes vs 13 episodes vs 26 episodes vs 52 episodes and so on. Does someone else have some information or just want to voice an opinion? :smalltongue:

Rogar Demonblud
2020-12-03, 03:55 PM
Content you're sitting on is content that is not making you money while it still costs you money to produce and maintain.

Ramza00
2020-12-03, 05:31 PM
Content you're sitting on is content that is not making you money while it still costs you money to produce and maintain.

Unfinished content takes time to make and money to make. Sometimes it is cheaper to pay writers money and have them with good products and ready while actors and animators are doing other projects and only redirect the animation studio and voice actors to your show when you have the scripts finalized and you can "film it" all at once.

Of course how you release those 10, 13, 26, 52 episodes is up to you and you should try to make the most money to maximize revenue via keeping the buzz going and extending the subscription time with streaming or advertising time with broadcast and cable. You are not selling just content you are also selling buzz where people are hyped for your content and thus they either maintain their streaming subscriptions or they tune in if its cable or broadcast.

-----

Sorry my brain is thinking about these things due to the Warner Brothers / Movie Films / HBO Max news about movies. Animation has some lucky advantages where it is easier to get things all together and break apart teams compared to live action filming.

Ramza00
2020-12-05, 02:00 AM
This is good Nostalgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtjZOo8vWBM

The song is originally from The Goofy Movie

Rogar Demonblud
2021-01-12, 11:15 AM
Still no news on when the final season resumes.

Talakeal
2021-01-12, 11:38 AM
Still no news on when the final season resumes.

Will it resume?

My understanding was they were just abandoning the show.

Ramza00
2021-01-12, 11:49 AM
Will it resume?

They are going to air the final episodes sometime in 2021 with a season finale.

The same statement said 75 episodes and 15 shorts and by my count 65 episodes have aired by the end of Nov 2020.

Friv
2021-01-12, 12:38 PM
Will it resume?

Just saw a tweet from one of the actors a few days ago that they'd finished voice recording for the rest of the season, so I think we can be confident that things will come up.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-02-01, 01:10 PM
No new episodes on the monthly preview. Still.

Do have a couple new episodes of Big Hero 6, though. Not sure that I care, since the latest season feels like they're trying to make a more kid friendly TTG.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-02-15, 01:50 PM
Next episode drops a week from today. Gandra Dee is back!

Rogar Demonblud
2021-02-24, 04:37 PM
Well that was underwhelming. I should have guessed from the title that Mark Beaks would be the villain, which generally makes for a bad episode. The thirty seconds or so of Bradford at the end provided all the villain cred the episode happened.

Next week, The Lost Cargo of Kit Cloudkicker.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-04, 11:42 AM
Dewey may have finally started to mature a little. They really are ending this if they're getting rid of one of the pre-dominant plot points.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-05, 05:20 PM
And they've announce the upcoming episodes. Monday is The Life and Crimes of Scrooge McDuck. And the three parter The Final Adventure is on the Ides of March.

brionl
2021-03-05, 10:15 PM
Hah! There's is a sign on Kit's bathroom door that says "The Woods".

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-06, 01:41 PM
A joke so subtle I missed it. And a funnier joke than most of the humor in the episode.

brionl
2021-03-06, 07:50 PM
I guess that means that Kit is the Pope?

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-07, 01:58 PM
Well, if they have a Pope in Duckworld...

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-09, 01:12 PM
I never thought they'd make me feel sorry for Majicka de Spell.

And now we see where Louie gets his be-a-jerk-and-dodge-blame streak from. It was still funny watching him freak out when the prosecutor was wheeled in--he knew what was up.

brionl
2021-03-09, 10:21 PM
Why would you feel sorry for Majicka? They were both horrible people.

Eldan
2021-03-10, 02:23 AM
Yeah, no sorry feelings here.

No actual crimes from the comics mentioned, but then, those were never going to be PG.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-10, 02:23 PM
Why would you feel sorry for Majicka? They were both horrible people.

True, but she spent years trying to find her brother to undo the damage. When has Scrooge ever done that? By his own admission, he exploited the villagers worse than the De Spells did. This is the Bombi all over again--instead of trying to learn humility, he baited it to an isolated island and imprisoned it for decades.

This episode may be as close as the show will come to admitting the point made repeatedly in the comics: Scrooge is a greedy ******* and not any kind of hero.

Divayth Fyr
2021-03-10, 07:00 PM
True, but she spent years trying to find her brother to undo the damage. When has Scrooge ever done that?
Didn't we hear back in season 1 that when Della lost herself in space he almost bankrupted himself (not that easy when you're the richest in the world) doing everything to find her and distanced himself from others due to the loss?

And that wasn't even his fault really - sure, he built a rocket. He didn't make Della fly when she did, nor did he have a hand in that cosmic storm appearing.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-11, 01:37 PM
He enabled her by building the rocket in the first place. He knew she wouldn't leave well enough alone, wouldn't wait for the rocket to be tested, wouldn't think about the fact she was days from being a mother. Him running a search later is locking the barn door after the horse has escaped, joined the cavalry and participated in a couple wars.

Friv
2021-03-11, 02:32 PM
He enabled her by building the rocket in the first place. He knew she wouldn't leave well enough alone, wouldn't wait for the rocket to be tested, wouldn't think about the fact she was days from being a mother. Him running a search later is locking the barn door after the horse has escaped, joined the cavalry and participated in a couple wars.

That's entirely unfair.

Scrooge didn't tell Della about the Spear of Selene. He was planning to give it to her as a present after the boys were born, which would also be after it was fully tested and ready. Della discovered it early while she was poking around and unilaterally made the decision to be the one to do the testing before her eggs hatched.

More on-topic, yes, the point of the episode was that Scrooge may not have been responsible for those three villains, but he went too far because while he's not precisely a bad person, he loves to win and he hates to be cheated. He didn't owe Magica and Poe anything, he didn't owe the Beagles or Glomgold anything, and in all three cases he was dealing with career villains who put themselves in their situation and refused to learn anything from their losses. But at the same time, he could have tried to make things better, and he never did. He just pushed it into the "not my problem" pile and left it alone.

Divayth Fyr
2021-03-12, 06:18 AM
By that logic if your kid steals the key to your car and has an accident, it is entirely your fault, since you enabled him by buying the car.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-12, 02:53 PM
There is a significant difference between owning a car and building an experimental rocket, even before you get to the small detail that every time we see Young Della she has zero concept of boundaries or even 'not yours, don't touch'.

Divayth Fyr
2021-03-12, 05:52 PM
The fault still lies with Della. By your logic Scrooge (anyone in the McDuck family really) couldn't build/own/develop/sell anything that could be dangerous (in whatever way) because Della might have hijacked it and get herself hurt.

Rogar Demonblud
2021-03-12, 06:49 PM
Oh, I blame Della as well. She really should have learned not to touch other people's stuff at some point. But Scrooge took a dumb and unnecessary risk in deciding to build the rocket, in building it then, and in trying to keep it a secret.

And when the inevitable happened, Scrooge apparently decided to duck the blame and Donald showed himself to be the only grown up in the family by doing his utmost to raise his nephews safely.

brionl
2021-03-16, 06:02 PM
Well, I guess if there has to be a last episode this was a pretty good one.

I had always mildly wondered about Webby's parents, but I wasn't expecting

Clone of Scrooge! I was thinking more along the line of clone of Agent 22 when that part was revealed.

Ramza00
2021-03-17, 11:25 AM
Well, I guess if there has to be a last episode this was a pretty good one.

I had always mildly wondered about Webby's parents, but I wasn't expecting

Clone of Scrooge! I was thinking more along the line of clone of Agent 22 when that part was revealed.

What?

They did an Amanda Waller on Batman Beyond?

oxybe
2021-03-17, 12:59 PM
Sorta pulled an Amanda Waller.

Bradford knew he couldn't really beat Scrooge legitimately or underhandedly. Scrooge is too cunning for the latter and has too many resources for the former. So he decided to do so legally.

Since he knew of the Papyrus of Binding from his time working under Mcduck was the only thing that could cosmically stop Scrooge from adventuring and throwing Chaos onto the world (or throwing the world into chaos, either or really), but needed the heir of McDuck (who currently had none) to find it due to Scrooge's previous engagement with the Papyrus he decided to simply make his own heir, Webby, at the time called "April".

He didn't expect Beakley to break in and escape with the baby clone. Beakley then went to work for Scrooge as it's the safest place for this smol babby to be: under the vast wealth and security of McDuck manor and flanked by both a top adventurer and a top secret agent.

She just never told Scrooge the truth about Webby.

This is why even if Bradford located the Papyrus, he couldn't take it... until he captured Webby and put juuuuust enough doubt in her mind to take advantage of her to unknowingly get the Papyrus for him, letting him finish writing his hundred page adamantine-clad contract to cosmically force Scrooge to never adventure again.

Of course the contract was nullified because "Family is the greatest adventure of all" so by keeping Scrooge with his family, and unable to adventure, but family is an adventure... poof! Yes it's a cheesy loophole and quick problem fix, but I love it and somewhere in the cold dark cockles of my heart i'm a sucker for the power of family/love/nakama, and since this line was repeatedly said in the past it does kinda work.

Friv
2021-03-19, 10:08 AM
Sorta pulled an Amanda Waller.

Bradford knew he couldn't really beat Scrooge legitimately or underhandedly. Scrooge is too cunning for the latter and has too many resources for the former. So he decided to do so legally.

Since he knew of the Papyrus of Binding from his time working under Mcduck was the only thing that could cosmically stop Scrooge from adventuring and throwing Chaos onto the world (or throwing the world into chaos, either or really), but needed the heir of McDuck (who currently had none) to find it due to Scrooge's previous engagement with the Papyrus he decided to simply make his own heir, Webby, at the time called "April".

He didn't expect Beakley to break in and escape with the baby clone. Beakley then went to work for Scrooge as it's the safest place for this smol babby to be: under the vast wealth and security of McDuck manor and flanked by both a top adventurer and a top secret agent.

She just never told Scrooge the truth about Webby.

This is why even if Bradford located the Papyrus, he couldn't take it... until he captured Webby and put juuuuust enough doubt in her mind to take advantage of her to unknowingly get the Papyrus for him, letting him finish writing his hundred page adamantine-clad contract to cosmically force Scrooge to never adventure again.

Of course the contract was nullified because "Family is the greatest adventure of all" so by keeping Scrooge with his family, and unable to adventure, but family is an adventure... poof! Yes it's a cheesy loophole and quick problem fix, but I love it and somewhere in the cold dark cockles of my heart i'm a sucker for the power of family/love/nakama, and since this line was repeatedly said in the past it does kinda work.

The irony is that even though Bradford was obsessed with Webby as the "only one" who could do this because she was a clone, it clearly wouldn't have worked. May and June explicitly weren't able to get the Papyrus, even though they were also clones of Webby. I'm pretty sure it was Scrooge accepting Webby as part of his family that made her qualify as a descendent, which wouldn't have happened if Beakly hadn't stolen her away.

oxybe
2021-03-19, 06:00 PM
The irony is that even though Bradford was obsessed with Webby as the "only one" who could do this because she was a clone, it clearly wouldn't have worked. May and June explicitly weren't able to get the Papyrus, even though they were also clones of Webby. I'm pretty sure it was Scrooge accepting Webby as part of his family that made her qualify as a descendent, which wouldn't have happened if Beakly hadn't stolen her away.

I would not be surprised if you hit it on the head. Familial ties extending beyond blood lineage is a big deal in the 2017 reboot.

Rater202
2021-03-19, 06:26 PM
Webby is essentially Scrooge's biological daughter or else his opposite sex clone depending on what exactly FOWL's scientists did to create her.

This is to say, she is both Scrooge's most direct offspring and another version of himself.

Webby is an acknowledged member of Scrooge's family and is loved as such, even before the revelation of their being blood-related: I wouldn't be surprised if Scrooge didn't have something put aside in his will for Webby and Beakly even before the series started, seeing as Beakley's been with him forever and Webby's been living in his house her whole life.

Webby very clearly takes after Scrooge in terms of ambition and lust for adventure as well as being inexplicably badass beyond what is reasonable based on the conceits of their universe.

Of course, it only works for her. Scrooge's "True Heir" was needed.

Webby fits every checkmark for being someone's heir.

And honestly, who else would Scrooge McDuck trust to carry on when he's gone but a younger version of himself?

Eldan
2021-03-20, 05:49 AM
Welp, Bradford should have won this one. Victory by quippy catchphrase.

Talakeal
2021-03-21, 12:43 AM
The Keith David cameo was amazing.

Well worth the watch. Lets do this again in thirty years!