PDA

View Full Version : Druid Access to Resurrection Magic?

NecessaryWeevil
2020-10-26, 04:38 PM
Hi Playground,

Can you help me find ways for my Shepherd Druid to gain access to (cast, either natively, through minions or through an item) Revivify, Raise Dead, and/or Resurrection? So far I'm aware of the Rod of Resurrection. Just hiring a Cleric doesn't count.

For Bonus Points:
- Available at my current level (13)
- Not Legendary
- Not UA
- No multiclassing

Thank you!

Ganryu
2020-10-26, 04:42 PM
I mean, you say no UA, but literally the easiest answer is just use
https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-ClassFeatures.pdf

If you don't like that, I guarantee its included In Tasha's Cauldron in a month.

Wraith
2020-10-26, 06:34 PM
You might be able to find an Ioun Stone of Reserve (https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/ioun-stone-of-reserve) that has a level 3 spell slot available in it - Revivify, in your case.

A Ring of Spell Storing (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ring%20of%20Spell%20Storing#content) will do the same for spells up to level 5 and thus includes Raise Dead.

In both cases the item will store any spells you like, you just have to find someone who can 'load it' with the right spell. Might be slightly more plausible to buy an 'empty' item and then take it to a temple and pay them to store a spell in it for you to then use later, rather than trying to barter for one with the exact spell you want in it.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-10-26, 06:53 PM
All the bases are pretty much covered:
-Rod of Resurrection
-Hire a Cleric (or Bard)
-Ring of Spell Storing (which involves hiring another caster)
-Ioun Stone of Reserve (Same as Ring, still requires another caster)
-Multiclassing
-Probably some monster you can Magic Jar into
-Wish

None of these are something a level 13 Druid can do on their own, however.

Druid's are, for the most part, limited to Reincarnate for their resurrection options. This is very much by design.

MaxWilson
2020-10-26, 09:16 PM
This probably won't work, but if you can talk your DM into considering a War Priest from Volo's as a kind of monster eligible for Shapechange, you can Shapeshift into a War Priest and then cast Revivify.

True Resurrection is a Druid spell BTW, so by the time you can cast Shapeshift you can also cast True Resurrection anyway.

Another thing you could try is to use Conjure Fey + Planar Binding to get a bunch of hags, and then try to force them to form a coven. The Death Coven variant from Volo's has access to Revivify and Raise Dead. Rules on forming covens are not in any of the books so good luck figuring it out. (Hopefully it doesn't require eating too many babies.) For bonus points you could even simply upcast Conjure Woodland Creatures to get 3 Sea Hags and see if they can form a coven and Revivify someone before the 1 hour (concentration) summoning duration runs out.

That's all I can think of.

For Bonus Points:
- Available at my current level (13)
- Not Legendary
- Not UA
- No multiclassing

I believe the Death Coven satisfies all four of these requirements.

Paeleus
2020-10-26, 10:26 PM
Um, would Reincarnate be a valid solution to your dilemma? Its on your spell list and becomes available @ level 9.

Disclaimer: this spell makes me uneasy, and for that reason I love it.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-10-27, 12:42 AM
All the bases are pretty much covered:

None of these are something a level 13 Druid can do on their own, however.

Druid's are, for the most part, limited to Reincarnate for their resurrection options. This is very much by design.

Yep. I'm aware of the UA option but our DM has already remarked that Shepherd Druids seem borderline OP, and she's not wrong. I think I've built and played the character fairly intelligently and our party composition lets me focus on the things I do well.

DeadMech
2020-10-27, 12:56 AM
Yep. I'm aware of the UA option but our DM has already remarked that Shepherd Druids seem borderline OP, and she's not wrong. I think I've built and played the character fairly intelligently and our party composition lets me focus on the things I do well.

Odd choice to punish the party for the druid class being too powerful. Seeing as it's the others who suffer the consequences of not having access to revivification that won't turn them into something they didn't want to play.

stoutstien
2020-10-27, 06:55 AM
Odd choice to punish the party for the druid class being too powerful. Seeing as it's the others who suffer the consequences of not having access to revivification that won't turn them into something they didn't want to play.

It's odd to think a DM not allowing UA material is punishing their players.