PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Psionic/Tome of Battle gish PRC & psionic martial discipline (PEACH)

Elves
2020-10-27, 12:03 AM
There's nothing novel or exciting in here but it could use some eyes for balance.

Sleeping Goddess discipline
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xPGImnnguyP1kGDp_blaXPK5gtT6Nvnw-j38PwQgFoY/edit?usp=sharing)
Battlemind prestige class (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YOeMk0YVd6HnpgJUXry_Ags4fCKla6ar-Yt7mYhrxHI/edit?usp=sharing)

Sleeping Goddess:
- Tried to make this more interesting than the Pathfinder version.
- Looking for balance feedback, especially the places marked in red.
- Any maneuvers you would cut?
- There's one maneuver, "dreams of future strife", that I couldn't think of an effect for. The original version by Demented One didn't work but the name is so cool that it should stick around. Can you think of an effect for it?
- Maneuver ideas welcome, though it's too long already.

Battlemind:
- Can you think of a cooler class name? I want to save "battlemind" for something else.
- Currently the class has no connection to the second paragraph of flavor text. Any ideas for how to incorporate that? (It's a cool theme, but it comes from an earlier version of the class that was basically the TOB version of mage of the arcane order -- but it was too much conceptual clutter to do that and also be a gish.)
- General balance feedback, order of abilities.
- New ability ideas welcome.

NigelWalmsley
2020-10-27, 09:45 AM
As of right now, literally the only thing I've read is the second paragraph of fluff, but the obvious thing to add based on that is a small pool of floating maneuvers/powers they can change by communing with the Battlemind collective consciousness.

Elves
2020-10-27, 10:58 AM
That's what it was, but "TOB mage of the arcane order" seems like its own PRC (and creates feature cram). Maybe have it only apply to Sleeping Goddess since the discipline is so big that you won't be able to get much of it normally.

Would be cool to have some kind of inner psychic dojo where you do Matrix style training with masters from across the universe. Bring other people in and give them martial script equivalent effect for maneuver you know. That feels "psychic", but conflicts both in terms of table space and theme with the vanilla initiator-psychic synergy abilities expected from a gish class.

Miss Disaster
2020-10-27, 06:48 PM
I'm a big fan of Sleeping Goddess in PF1e. So this re-interpretation of yours for 3.5 definitely intrigues me!

So, here we go:

1. 3.5's Lucid Dreaming skill (MotP) kinda needs to at least be talked about as the discipline's associated skill. Thematically, it's kind of a no-brainer. Granted, Lucid Dreaming (a 3.0 creation) has such little system-wide in support in 3.X, I totally understand why you chose the Autohypnosis angle. Perhaps a Sleeping Goddess initiator can choose which of the 2 skills to anchor this style in .... ?

2. There are 3 total Maneuvers that enable ranged attacks - Brain Rush, Telekinetic Warrior & Rage of the Poltergeist. It's just my gut feeling, but I kinda envision this 3.5 psi-style having a bit more ranged capability.

3. Overall, I like your game mechanics in regards how you structure your Augments and Focuses. Although I don't feel like there's enough "oomph" in the offensive department for most of the attacks. Sorry for not elucidating that with more objective evidence of that claim. I'm guessing I'd like to see attacks be a little more buffed-up in giving harmful status effects than outright HP damage. Considering the actual name of the discipline, it's odd to not even see one attack cause a sleep-type effect. Nor is there an attack that provides an effect similar to the SRD Bard cantrip, Lullaby. Possibly more status effect options that cause fear effects or have illusory-themed debuffs (the dreaminess component of Sleeping Goddess) would be kinda cool, too.

That all said, I **love** what you are doing with this discipline, Elves!! You're doing a great job at also not making this a PF-version clone.

Elves
2020-10-30, 01:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Sleeping Goddess in PF1e. So this re-interpretation of yours for 3.5 definitely intrigues me!
Fyi, this is drawing from the same source as PF did -- demented one's original (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?98409-Sleeping-Goddess-Discipline). He has a blanket permission for use in his sig and had previously volunteered all his content for use in "AOW".

1. 3.5's Lucid Dreaming skill (MotP) kinda needs to at least be talked about as the discipline's associated skill. ....It's odd to not even see one attack cause a sleep-type effect.
This isn't really the sleep/dream themed discipline, we have Infinite SHore for that which Ive still yet to revise. In my interpretation the "sleeping goddess" is the psychic power that "slumbers" deep within you. There's thematic overlap but because SG has its unique power point mechanic and is already so large (my rule is the list has to fit on one page), doesn't quite work. They do need to be differentiated.

Inexorable Embrace of Sleep could be brought back as a strike with a progressive sleep effect. fail 1st save, drowsy debuff, fail 2nd save on subsequent round fall asleep. What would be a fun debuff effect for "drowsy"?

There are 3 total Maneuvers that enable ranged attacks - Brain Rush, Telekinetic Warrior & Rage of the Poltergeist. It's just my gut feeling, but I kinda envision this 3.5 psi-style having a bit more ranged capability.
That's probably right.

Although I don't feel like there's enough "oomph" in the offensive department for most of the attacks.
Since adepts get many disciplines, it's fine to give this disc a niche other than damage.

I was thinking of doing "battlemind" as a TOB-ified take on a psychic warrior, just like how crusader is the TOB paladin, etc. Cut for time, but if at some point it happens that becomes more of a concern. But probably Diamond Mind would be their offensive kit.