PDA

View Full Version : If your PC reached Godhood

Sindal
2020-10-27, 03:43 AM
Hi fam

Another silly idea thread day.

So lvl 20 is when players proverbially become gods to the common folk of their world due to the vast difference in power.

But it got me thinking of the question, when I looked at some pantheons.

-If your pc became a god similar to that of the forgotten realms gods, what would they be the god of? Be creative :)-

Or -Has your pc ever become a god for whatever reason during a campaign?-

Obviously this is a loose definition question but greek or egyptian mythology has always been around to show us that. Just to have fun.

Mine:
Kosh, my half orc gloomstalker, would probably become a god of safe travels. Prayers to him would be for journeys of any sort, from land to sky to underground to sea to keep them safe. His shrines would be scattered out the land, small and unassuming with only one larger one in thr place said to be his birthplace (a desert city)

His emblem would be a bow with one panflute pipe as an arrow. Followers claim to sometimes hear a jovial tune on the wind in their travels, even if it isn't windy.

He'd likely be a nature domain for clerics.

Let's hear it :)

nickl_2000
2020-10-27, 06:45 AM
It's an interesting thought, my current Paladin Kylan would likely be a minor god of protection since he sees his job as protecting those that are week. He is the first into battle and the last one out. The odd thing to think of is that Kylan is a strong devotee to Helm and he wouldn't want to give that up.

Do FR god's worship other FR god's? If they can't Kylan may actually give up the chance at godhood due to that.

DragonBaneDM
2020-10-27, 07:07 AM
In Eberron, it’s a little different, but only a little.

It’s up to the DM to determine if gods even exist, but in the place of gods walking the earth, there are beings of enormous power that can grant divine spells to their followers or followers of their doctrine. Dragons, liches, pillars of divine light.

One such being is The Lord of Blades, a warforged demagogue amassing an army in The Mournland. I’m sure I speak for most warforged PCs when I set the goal of calling in some old favors, marching into The Mournland, and eliminating/possibly replacing him.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-10-27, 07:21 AM
I have never played at higher levels. Maximum level 9. I believe it's the playstyle of my group, we all prefer low-levels and mid-tier as the cap. My last two PCs were dwarves (part of the same clan). A Fighter Battlemaster (with a single level of Rogue) expert in fighting with Shields & an Ancient Paladin -- I kind of flavored the Oath and Tenets with the earthy spiritualism/mysticism from the dwarven culture; he also became an expert in Hag hunting, roaming lof of times over the Feywild. So both of them could be some sort of minor god of protection, justice, nature and things related, of course serving All-Father Moradin.

However, right now, I'm playing a Hobgoblin Wizard who completely neglected the warrior orientantion of his folk and after spending sometime in a Temple of Healing from the local elves, he made a perpetual vow of non-violence inspired by the acolytes who actually saved him after a serious injury in combat. Now his life goal is to prove that every person should be judged by their own actions and he wants to show that the goblinoid folk is not all about war, combat and domination. He wants to join the local Arcane Academy and be a reference for other unusual non-human mages. Having said that, I think he could be some sort of God of Magic for the Goblinoid Folk or even some God of Justice, Peace or Knowledge.

Really liked the thread!

Keltest
2020-10-27, 07:28 AM
This actually happened to me! Kalthok, the half elf, half goliath cleric of Kord eventually rose to become the god of endurance under Kord. Over the course of his adventures, he face tanked many an explosion and other massive trauma without dying, despite the DM's best efforts. Got to play around a half dozen sessions with overt godhood, had a bunch of worshippers, good times.

Having said that, i never want to do that again. Entirely too much power in the PCs. Its like getting into an arms race with the DM.

Aett_Thorn
2020-10-27, 07:52 AM
In my current campaign, I've had three characters (two died, sadly). So I'll go through all three.

Jarak was a Dragonborn Ranger, who wanted his people to act more like the alpha predators that dragons are. If he were to ascend to godhood, he'd want to be the pantheon leader of the Dragonborn race, an embrace their heritage as sons and daughters of dragons. He'd probably be okay with being under Bahamut or Tiamat, though, if it came down to it. Died while fighting a red dragon (fitting, really).

Oduren was a Loxodon Cleric follower of Mystra. He was tasked with rooting of a source of evil magic and destroying it. Assuming that he had lived, I could see him wanting to be elevated up to be a minor god of those who seek to find and eliminate evil magics. Also, a side portfolio of mind-enhancing drugs would also be appropriate. Died due to unfortunate disintegration.

Rosamund is a Gnomish Cavalier Fighter. However, since we've moved to online play, she has quite the reputation for having some really bad luck with rolls. So if she were to be elevated to godhood, I could see her becoming the Gnomish goddess of unfortunate luck. Not good luck. Not maliciously bad luck. Just unfortunate luck.

solidork
2020-10-27, 08:54 AM
My Fighter/Warlock would be the god of Detectives and Bad Food.

Lord Vukodlak
2020-10-27, 10:48 AM
I actually had a character become a god. Way back in 3.0 or maybe very early 3.5. The climax of the evil campaign was fighting this death knight wielding a god slaying sword. Once he was defeated my half-fiend offered to destroy the sword in exchange for godhood. The sword could nullify a gods power, so a god couldn’t destroy it or anyone wielding it. Thus the bargain was struck and he became a god.

He later killed his former party because they knew to much.
“This place has out lived it’s usefulness as have all of you.”

Silly Name
2020-10-27, 11:01 AM
It's an interesting thought, my current Paladin Kylan would likely be a minor god of protection since he sees his job as protecting those that are week. He is the first into battle and the last one out. The odd thing to think of is that Kylan is a strong devotee to Helm and he wouldn't want to give that up.

Do FR god's worship other FR god's? If they can't Kylan may actually give up the chance at godhood due to that.

You can be a minor god in service to a major god, technically called an exarch (exarchs can be non-gods, too, such as archangels or saints). For example, the Red Knight is a deity of strategy and tactics and is an exarch of Tempus, god of war.

Aett_Thorn
2020-10-27, 11:15 AM
You can be a minor god in service to a major god, technically called an exarch (exarchs can be non-gods, too, such as archangels or saints). For example, the Red Knight is a deity of strategy and tactics and is an exarch of Tempus, god of war.

Wasn't that more the 4e nomenclature for this? I don't think that 5e makes much of a distinction between the power level of the gods.

Grey Watcher
2020-10-27, 11:16 AM
I have difficulty imagining any of my PCs becoming gods. Most didn't see enough play to really establish themselves enough (one shots and such). With the two long runners, one is too modest and would probably refuse apotheosis without good reason and the other would probably end up getting smote for mouthing off to the entity that was granting it.

Still, if pressed the former would probably be a god of protection, prevention of harm, with a secondary focus on scholarship amd knowledge, and would definitely tell his followers that violence is a last resort. He'd have a particular hatred, though, for bullies and other people who take advantage of those weaker than themselves. (He was an Abjurer by trade, but also devoutly religious. His role model in life was his big sister the Paladin, who used to protect him from his childhood bullies.)

The latter? I really can't imagine him taking any responsibility for his actions. And apart from his dad (only surviving family) and a stubborn refusal to stop fighting (which he's cheated on a bit anyway), he really didn't care about anything and was mostly Statler-and-Waldorfing his way through the campaign. I suppose you could look to his powers (3rd party Shaman class, with a subclass focused on Dreams), but he never liked having powers, so I can't imagine him getting into the role of God of Dreams.

EDIT: How could I forget my third and most recent long-runner? He'd be a God of Knowledge, Discovery, and Exploration, definitely. He was an archeologist, but not so much Indiana Jones as Absent-Minded Professor. I believe the references I had in mind were Dr. Pangloss from Candide (as he appears in the musical more than the original), Lucca from Chrono Trigger, and... something else I can't recall right now, but in a similar "consummate nerd" vein.

Silly Name
2020-10-27, 11:26 AM
Wasn't that more the 4e nomenclature for this? I don't think that 5e makes much of a distinction between the power level of the gods.

It was a thing in 3.X too (although I think "exarch" specifically popped up in 4e). Still, while "minor", "major" and "intermediate" don't have a rule effect anymore, they're useful descriptors - the Red Knight is less venerated than Tempus himself, making her a "minor god" in that sense.

Exarch is still used on the Forgotten Realms wiki, and likewise I find it useful to describe a being of great power in direct service to a god.

Sigreid
2020-10-27, 11:56 AM
I'm going to start my own religion. With blackjack and hookers! Eh, forget the blackjack!

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-27, 12:05 PM
So lvl 20 is when players proverbially become gods to the common folk of their world due to the vast difference in power. But they don't. That's from a previous edition. The bounded accuracy model still leaves the PC vulnerable to numbers/crowds/hordes. Granted, they have more ways to avoid them at that level, but they are not "as gods" anymore.

Run a mock combat with an NPC assassin making at attack on a sleeping target. The damage numbers may surprise you, and it's not too far of a reach to presume that the asssassin gets two attacks before its target has a chance to take an action or react.

Trask
2020-10-27, 12:30 PM
I'm playing a character in a Forgotten Realms game who has reached Demigod status right now after slaying Bhaal and splitting his soul with two others. In the campaign the other dead three, Myrkul and Bane are defeated as well, so our trio of demigods is semi-officially known as the "Neo Dead Three" particularly since we are all of a not strictly good persuasion alignment-wise.

So far its felt basically like being a super-powered 20th level character, but there are a lot of decent number of times where I've been able to ignore or mitigate something that makes it feel unique, like a year passed in the game world where magic and magic-like effects were gone, but deities could still manifest magical effects from class features even though they couldn't cast spells. I'm still a demigod so I haven't experienced what I think most people imagine gods as doing yet, creating planes, shaping life, gathering followers, building temples and establishing dogma, although I did trick a massive tribe of goblins into worshiping me by promising to help them conquer their orcish rivals.

KorvinStarmast
2020-10-27, 12:42 PM
although I did trick a massive tribe of goblins into worshiping me by promising to help them conquer their orcish rivals. That right there is some fine old school D&D. *applause*

Sigreid
2020-10-27, 01:02 PM
I'm playing a character in a Forgotten Realms game who has reached Demigod status right now after slaying Bhaal and splitting his soul with two others. In the campaign the other dead three, Myrkul and Bane are defeated as well, so our trio of demigods is semi-officially known as the "Neo Dead Three" particularly since we are all of a not strictly good persuasion alignment-wise.

So far its felt basically like being a super-powered 20th level character, but there are a lot of decent number of times where I've been able to ignore or mitigate something that makes it feel unique, like a year passed in the game world where magic and magic-like effects were gone, but deities could still manifest magical effects from class features even though they couldn't cast spells. I'm still a demigod so I haven't experienced what I think most people imagine gods as doing yet, creating planes, shaping life, gathering followers, building temples and establishing dogma, although I did trick a massive tribe of goblins into worshiping me by promising to help them conquer their orcish rivals.

In a previous campaign I was playing a rogue that would help poor people in exchange for them agreeing to once a year on a certain day say a prayer to Sune thanking her for sending her "Dark Champion" to help them. Unfortunately, while the DM thought this was a great path to demigod hood, the campaign ended due to circumstances beyond our control before it came to fruition.

Trask
2020-10-27, 01:23 PM
In a previous campaign I was playing a rogue that would help poor people in exchange for them agreeing to once a year on a certain day say a prayer to Sune thanking her for sending her "Dark Champion" to help them. Unfortunately, while the DM thought this was a great path to demigod hood, the campaign ended due to circumstances beyond our control before it came to fruition.

That is cool, its a shame you never got to continue with it. God's Chosen (like Lady Silverhand of Waterdeep) as well as Exarchs (my fellow bhaalslaying demigod, a dwarf druid exarch of Silvanus) have featured in this campaign as well, and it sounds like your character would have made a fine Chosen of Sune and eventually a demi-god Exarch.

I actually met Sune semi-recently with my own character and she almost killed me in a blind rage by spitting fire at me after I told her some extremely bad news (Tymora is murdered and her entire plane was stolen by Mammon but you gotta trust me this is for the greater good :smallbiggrin:). I only got saved because through my persuasion Selune (who was also there) believed my good intentions and threw up a wall of force.

OldTrees1
2020-10-27, 01:44 PM
Lux is a former guild thief that turned away from that life with a realization. A realization that they have to be the change they want to see. The world won't get better if they don't act and the only way to build towards utopia is by starting small and cultivating and protecting the light in a small group. Overextend and the wind will blow out the candles. If they became a deity it would be a local god of prosperity, improvement, and protection. Over time the cultivated light would grow brighter and brighter. Until it finally acted as an alarm clock and woke up azathoth.

They would ask the locals to follow the Ancient's Paladin's ideals. Not necessarily to the point of an oath. But everyone let's all work together, support each other, improve ourselves, live good lives, and generally move towards utopia.

Dun is a current dungeon tour guide. If they became a deity, they would continue doing what they had been doing. Safely guiding people through dungeons. They would personally join a group right as they entered a dungeon (although they might have a few avatars).

They would ask the party to treat dungeons with respect. "Try not to die".

Raven (not in 5E) is a necromancer building a post scarcity nation of "monsterous" people based on a foundation of sanitized skeleton labor. If they became a deity, they would stay as a national figure and the nation would directly benefit from the economic boost of the boosted necromantic power.

They would ask everyone within the borders of the nation be tolerant and civil.

Sigreid
2020-10-27, 01:54 PM
That is cool, its a shame you never got to continue with it. God's Chosen (like Lady Silverhand of Waterdeep) as well as Exarchs (my fellow bhaalslaying demigod, a dwarf druid exarch of Silvanus) have featured in this campaign as well, and it sounds like your character would have made a fine Chosen of Sune and eventually a demi-god Exarch.

I actually met Sune semi-recently with my own character and she almost killed me in a blind rage by spitting fire at me after I told her some extremely bad news (Tymora is murdered and her entire plane was stolen by Mammon but you gotta trust me this is for the greater good :smallbiggrin:). I only got saved because through my persuasion Selune (who was also there) believed my good intentions and threw up a wall of force.
Might be worth mentioning that he never spoke to Sune or her clergy about this. In true chaotic rogue fashion is simply decided to add himself to her religion.

SandyAndy
2020-10-27, 02:30 PM
I played a Great Old Ones Warlock that had an axe to grind against the existing religions. Over the course of the campaign he was the only PC that stayed the course through the whole game. The first bit of the game he was just trying to get more power from the Old Ones. Then he got their attention and started getting instructions around level 6. Around level 12 the Old Ones started invading and the horrors of it caused him to have a change of heart. The rest of the game was him and the party trying to save the world from the damage he had done. It was a fantastic campaign.

At the end, his soul was too corrupted to enter the afterlife but he was too powerful to die. So the gods let him be a pseudo-deity and build his own little cult but only with people that were barred from paradise. Sort of a last-chance at avoiding judgement day. He was a major factor in other campaigns whenever we were facing down aberrations. It was pretty cool. It's all in the presentation guys.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-10-27, 04:07 PM
Well, my tabaxi rogue/wizard would become a god of chaos and creativity.
My Satyr oathbreaker/bard would become an archfey instead.

Danielqueue1
2020-10-27, 06:34 PM
Syree, god of defiance, and last stands, also a minor deity of lizardfolk.

Funnily enough the character was primarily a healer it was a high level campaign and the DM upped the difficulty after several times when the party was supposed to sneak or find some way arround a dangerous encounter but instead we just used defensive tactics and healed through the damage when things got scary. One time the people we needed to talk to were in a besieged city, there was a secret entrance we ignored and instead just broke through the undead attacking the front gate because it was faster. One upcast, meta-magic extended, life domain cleric boosted, healing spirit lasted the whole fight and topped us off at the end. (Yes it was a crazy multiclass, but after the difficulty was upped several times we needed it.) Suffice it to say that the common folk already assumed the party was minor deities long before the campaign got close to ending.

The DM kept the character as a minor Deity in their homebrew world and next time he ran a campaign, one of the new players chose it as their deity without any prompting.

Yakmala
2020-10-27, 07:17 PM
I could see this happening with a few of my characters that are higher level.

My Way of the Long Death Monk, Dr. Corvus, would be a Minor God of death. Not the worshiping of death, so much as the study of death, the many forms it can take, and ultimately learning not to fear death. His worshipers would would include doctors, sages, and those who are facing imminent death are are either trying to come to terms with it, or have already done so.

My Paladin, Cassidy, would become the God of Apathy, worshiped by those who can't be bothered to go through the effort of finding some other god to worship, learning all the rituals and ceremonies because, let's be honest, that sounds a lot like work, and the local tavern has a new micro-brew on tap, so... Maybe circle back to this whole god thing later...

My Warforged Zealot Barbarian Lazarus would be the God of Heroic Sacrifice. Worshiped by those willing to give their lives without hesitation to save others [In his campaign, Lazarus has tried his hardest to die heroically, throwing himself into deadly situations without a thought to his well being, but he just can't manage to get himself killed in spite of his best efforts).

Laserlight
2020-10-27, 08:09 PM
My son had a thrikreen fighter who achieved godhood at level 3, when he retired in favor of a build more oriented to supporting the other players. Granted, he only had 3 (or perhaps 4) worshippers, and his doctrine was rather hazy, and we never resolved the question of how he could communicate with his worshippers since he couldn't speak in humanly-understandable tones (he used a slate and chalk in his mortal form), but some peasants built a statue to him and he had, technically, a cleric. Hail Chak Tha, Reaper of Pirates and Nibbler of Elf Ears.

Heavenly Flower was built on the idea of a Dragon-blooded from the game Exalted, and Exalted is the game where a PC can, in all seriousness, say "We are no mere gods." Flower would have been the goddess of Maintaining a Mask of Serene Confidence Despite Agonizing Self Doubt, or possibly the goddess of Being a Shameless Manipulative So-and-So, or maybe the goddess of Is It A One Night Stand If I Always Get A Threesome, or, just possibly, the goddess of Lightning Striking Everything. Some of those are probably already taken, I imagine.

If we're talking about what I myself would be, I'd undoubtedly be Deity of NPCs.

TeChameleon
2020-10-27, 10:31 PM
I have had a character approach apotheosis, take one look at it, and go "Nope." :smallbiggrin:

Gavin Fireborne was a technically-523-year-old wizard ('technically' because he'd skipped 500 years of that in hibernation) who'd achieved ludicrous things in his short lifespan and who did not suffer fools gladly. His reasoning was that he was pretty sure he couldn't tolerate the kind of people that would worship him, and he was too busy anyways. That and he often considered the various deities to be among the fools that he didn't suffer gladly.

He has since settled into the game world as a Gandalf-ish figure, lending a hand on quests where needed, and accidentally or deliberately causing rather interesting things to happen, such as inadvertently becoming his own (great x Ihavenoidea) grandfather, indirectly causing his own crappy childhood, giving Orcus PTSD, and a number of other fun(?) things.

If somebody did manage to talk his stubborn *** into accepting apotheosis, he'd probably be a CG god of fire, knowledge (in this campaign, the party was directly responsible for Ioun's ascension, and Gavin and future-Ioun did not like each other, so he'd probably figure Ioun could use the competition), arcane magic, learning, and experimentation. And maybe commerce.

Greywander
2020-10-27, 11:16 PM
Everyone's talking about specific characters and what their roleplay would lead to if their characters became gods, and then there's me with sadly little actual play time. So I'll come at this from a different angle.

At one point, I tried my hand at writing up some rules for "epic levels", 21-30. You had to first obtain a "divine spark" before you could ascend to 21st level, but that made you a demigod all on its own. As you continued to level up, not only did you get extra class levels, but you also got extra godlike powers. Mostly things like being able to fly, communicate telepathically, and eventually your own demiplane. But what I think might be more interesting in a mechanical sense was that you got to pick spells for your divine domain, and you could cast these spells at will. If you got clerics, these spells would replace their domain list, as well. Initially, you'd just have cantrips (which would also be added to your clerics' spell lists) and 1st level spells, but by 30th level you had your 5th level domain spells, which you could cast at will.

Extracting that specific element, the at-will domain spells, I think that could be a fun way to play and give specific flavor to your character. It might be fun to play as a sort of demigod or godling starting at 1st level and gaining your domain spells at the rate of a half caster. An otherwise normal character with a few at-will spells would play quite a bit differently, and allow you to take on challenges beyond what was appropriate for your level. It would be a good way to mix feeling like a god without being too overpowered that you just curbstomp everything.

chainer1216
2020-10-28, 04:46 AM
My group has actually done this in FR, I was a Druid and became the god of the balance of the 4 element in nature, sort of a primal nature god, though a major death god tried really hard to make me a god of natural disasters that worked for them.

Another player became a god of arcane study, a pretty weak portfolio all things considered but Mystra sponsored him so that helped him out.

Another player was a former slave from Thay, he became a god of former slaves, freedom, and antimagic, he ended up being a pretty popular deity because he hand picked his clergy to all be chill dudes, the way Jandarians preyed was to high five each other and shout "praise Jandar!" Which is still a running inside joke with out group.

Magicspook
2020-10-28, 07:47 AM
My highest ever level character is Masque, a fey warlock 5/ glamour bard 1 beholden to Luthaera, mistress of dreams. Due to some mind****ery by meenlocks, he's lost his sense of self, so he covers his face with a mask and constantly changes persona using the mask of many faces invocation. His arc will be focused around obtaining the passive glamour bard features that permanently alter your appearance in order to build a new identity for himself.

If he ever ascended, he would be the god of self-realisation and creativity. His domain would defininitely be trickery.

Angelalex242
2020-10-29, 03:54 PM
I had a 3.5 Paladin who got deified because a Lich mind controlled Bahamut. Somehow. My character killed the lich (and the rest of the party died in the fight).

...so yeah. He became a god. That was pretty sweet.

I never really thought of making a portfolio for him, cause I was just sitting there at the table saying, "...I'm a god."

sithlordnergal
2020-10-29, 04:17 PM
Heh, you assume much if you think my Moon Druid isn't already a deity. >=D

In all seriousness, my Druid from ToA would be a God of the Hunt and the Feast. I accidentally made him have a rather ravenous appetite, and he's always on the look out for a new meal. It actually started as a joke, since all of his Wild Shapes had some sort of Bite attack, he'd make small comments on the "flavor" of the enemies they fought. It continued all the way up until the party was offered some, obviously poisoned, food by a very untrustworthy fellow...Staying in character, my Moon Druid ate the meal without question.

He later did some Ravenqueen module where you'll forget who you are unless you have a special object that gives you a defined trait from your personality. DM ruled that my staff, which I had kept with me from level 5 to level 11, was my special memory object and that it made people feel ravenously hungry if they took it. I was the only character in the group that was able to get a trait that quickly. XD

Krobar
2020-10-29, 05:35 PM
Hubris, self-promotion, and arrogance.

RedMage125
2020-10-29, 06:54 PM
Hi fam

Another silly idea thread day.

So lvl 20 is when players proverbially become gods to the common folk of their world due to the vast difference in power.

But it got me thinking of the question, when I looked at some pantheons.

-If your pc became a god similar to that of the forgotten realms gods, what would they be the god of? Be creative :)-

Or -Has your pc ever become a god for whatever reason during a campaign?-

Had that happen. FROM the Forgotten Realms, actually. The DM had been running FR for years, and was finally getting around to making his own setting. He'd had 2 groups running simultaneously, when both groups reached high enough level, he combined them for a Tarrasque fight. Afterwards, he had Ao pluck all our characters up, and those characters became the deities for his new setting. My character (Wizard 5/Incantatrix 10/Archmage 3) was one of two arcane casters (other was a blood magus). Each of us players got to do some cooperative world building, and add something to his world. He asked us each to write up our characters as deities. Mine became the primary deity of magic in his world (basically Mystra's equivalent). I was so excited, I broke out Deities & Demigods and did the full deity write up for him (DM said Greater Deity, so that was fun).