PDA

View Full Version : New to these forums: Are people here interested in altered core classes?

EroxESP
2020-10-27, 09:17 AM
I've been DMing 5e for about 4 years and have particularly connected with how robust this particular edition is to significantly altering the game with homebrew without disrupting other written rules.

There are some core classes at my table that get boring to my players after one person tries them out. Either they don't really carry a good flavor change with its various versions, or they never deliver on its promises in the first playthrough.

I've designed a few altered core classes which have seemed to ameliorate these issues for my small groups of players and have really made each class more unique and fill its own shoes.

It takes a lot of work to try and distill a grand design into the smallest and simplest change possible. To try to change the entire play experience of a class without cluttering the rules and by making only one or two small changes. My latest changes have made me really start to feel like I'm on to something here and I'm ready to share these with the world, but I haven't gotten a feel for these forums yet an wasn't sure the tone of them. Would these be adding to a pile of inane clutter of over-posting unnecessary changes? Would it be something people don't really care about?

Specifically I have changes for:

Ranger
Warlock
Sorcerer
Druid

Unoriginal
2020-10-27, 10:03 AM
I've been DMing 5e for about 4 years and have particularly connected with how robust this particular edition is to significantly altering the game with homebrew without disrupting other written rules.

There are some core classes at my table that get boring to my players after one person tries them out. Either they don't really carry a good flavor change with its various versions, or they never deliver on its promises in the first playthrough.

I've designed a few altered core classes which have seemed to ameliorate these issues for my small groups of players and have really made each class more unique and fill its own shoes.

It takes a lot of work to try and distill a grand design into the smallest and simplest change possible. To try to change the entire play experience of a class without cluttering the rules and by making only one or two small changes. My latest changes have made me really start to feel like I'm on to something here and I'm ready to share these with the world, but I haven't gotten a feel for these forums yet an wasn't sure the tone of them. Would these be adding to a pile of inane clutter of over-posting unnecessary changes? Would it be something people don't really care about?

Specifically I have changes for:

Ranger
Warlock
Sorcerer
Druid

I think that kind of things go on the Hombrew subforum, not the 5e subforum. People will probably be interested, but posting your work at the right place will avoid you having to ask the mods to move it.

EroxESP
2020-10-27, 10:22 AM
I think that kind of things go on the Hombrew subforum, not the 5e subforum. People will probably be interested, but posting your work at the right place will avoid you having to ask the mods to move it.

I wasn't sure if it would fit in there either. I tried to distill these in as small changes as possible. They don't really pack in any original flavor or concepts and are definitely not complete reworks, so while its technically homebrew I wasn't sure it would fit in there.

Unoriginal
2020-10-27, 10:28 AM
I wasn't sure if it would fit in there either. I tried to distill these in as small changes as possible. They don't really pack in any original flavor or concepts and are definitely not complete reworks, so while its technically homebrew I wasn't sure it would fit in there.

I think you may be overestimating how much of an issue it is. The homebrew section is for all homebrew, from completely new class to a custom list of tokens based around a certain theme.

Segev
2020-10-27, 10:31 AM
I am not a moderator, so take whatever advice I give with a grain of salt. The SAFEST bet is to post it in Homebrew, though sometimes customizations and tweaks get posted in this subforum instead. Regardless, yes, tweaks to existing classes definitely have their place on the gitp forums.

You can also check the forum rules for which moderators are available to private message for advice if you're really concerned.

I suspect, though, that the worst that would happen if you guessed "wrong" about which subforum to put it in is that it would get moved to the right one.

Dienekes
2020-10-27, 12:33 PM
From what I've seen, in general things that are meant to work as discussion such as: How would these changes impact the game environment, would this theoretical addition improve gameplay, how to solve the balance problems between X and Y class tend to get posted to the 5e forums and initiate some discussion.

While the Homebrew forums more focus on: evaluate this new subclass, or worldbuilding topics.

But it's not a hard and fast rule. One of my favorite posters with some frequency posts mock up of new subsytems on the 5e forums and one guy has a recurring list of houserules which he edits and posts every couple weeks. And nothing terrible happens to them. The worst is you'll occasionally get someone whining to you about how you're "fix" is changing something that isn't broken, damn the evidence that many people find the current method unpleasant to use for one reason or another.

There was a guy who used to complain about how even discussions of theoretical changes should go over to the homebrew forum, but I haven't seen them in awhile.

So in short, either place is probably fine. The worst that might happen is someone complaining and maybe a forum moderator will move the post to the more appropriate subforum. But they're pretty cool about that part of moderator job, at least.