PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bard Song Recordings as Scrolls in a Sci-Fi Setting? Help needed!

Babale
2020-10-27, 10:07 AM
So I am working on a sci-fi/fantasy setting - sort of my own take on the idea of Spelljammer. Here is a link to the thread where I'm working on the setting itself, (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?621111-Many-Worlds-A-SciFiFantasy-Campaign-Setting-(part-3-Magic-PEACH)&p=24773025#post24773025) but the short bit that's relevant to this thread is this:

Magic in this world works by connecting to an ancient Network, created by the ancient super-advanced civilization that built the worlds of this setting. Usually this is done through thought, as the Network is scanning the brain waves of those living in the setting, and can respond to specific thoughts by manifesting in the real world. Wizards study these reactions, catalogue them, and create spells in that way; Clerics worship beings they sense in the Network (usually ancient AI) and channel the Network's power through that lens; Warlocks partner with a Network being, such as a minor AI, which integrates with their mind and guides them to influence the Network; etc.

Bards are also sensitive to the Network, but rather than influence it directly, they listen to it in their minds, and compose songs based on what they hear. Music composed in this way impacts the world itself.

This leads me to my homebrew goal. If the 'magic' (ability to influence the Network) in a bard song is based on the sound itself, then a perfect recording of a Bardic song should have the same effect as a bard singing. This requires super accurate recording tech that no one in the setting can manufacture, but they can be found in ancient ruins. Sometimes they are blanks, and a bard can record a song onto them by burning a Bardic Song; other times they already have a song recorded on them, either by another modern bard who found a blank and made a recording, or by an ancient bard from thousands or even millions of years ago, whose song may be very alien-sounding, and may have different effects than modern bard songs. Maybe if you can find enough copies of the same song, you can even have your modern bard learn it?

I'm also good with the idea that these tapes only work once, maybe because in order to be a perfect rendition of the song in question they ruin the tape as they replay it. Maybe some very high end players can play a tape twice? I guess that's the other question - are these tapes self-contained (a little walkman type device with a speaker and tape) or do you need some kind of player to use these, and perhaps that's a way to keep the ability to use these unique to bards and to players who want to invest in acquiring a player.

I could use some help putting this idea to rules -- I've homebrewed for 3.5, but not nearly as much for 5e.

Isocahedron
2020-10-27, 10:43 AM
If you want to, you can say that bardsong (and maybe magic in general) involves entangled particles or other highly precise quantum phenomena. That explains both why you need precursor tech to record it, and why the recordings can only be used once (the no-cloning theorem). If I have some time I'll post some ideas about rules. Recording bardsong is a really cool idea.

Babale
2020-10-27, 10:58 AM
If you want to, you can say that bardsong (and maybe magic in general) involves entangled particles or other highly precise quantum phenomena. That explains both why you need precursor tech to record it, and why the recordings can only be used once (the no-cloning theorem). If I have some time I'll post some ideas about rules. Recording bardsong is a really cool idea.

There's definitely quantum funkiness going on, but no one in the Worlds actually understands it yet (it's been thousands of years since the last high point of civilization; currently tech level on most worlds is between late bronze age and late renaissance, with the most advanced civ having just completed a sort of industrial revolution. Space travel is really easy because of the types of worlds (artificial moons around a gas giant) these are (artificial moons around a gas giant), so even at a lower level of technological development things like orbits tend to be well understood and short range space travel is possible for relatively low tech civs.

The Network communicates with itself instantly, so it uses some kind of quantum entanglement in its design. Nothing else in the setting goes faster than light - not even teleportation spells (but the whole setting is within a single solar system, so a spell that 'teleports' you at lightspeed is fast enough).