PDA

View Full Version : best personal range spells to cast on monsters?

newguydude1
2020-10-27, 04:46 PM
bite of the werebear is absolutely fantastic. just wow. +16 strength, more natural ac bonus than spider skin, more natural attacks, etc. just flat out op if persisted. i was wondering if there were any more like that.

the spells are cast on monsters through ring of spell storing. actually its cast through a convoluted process of polymorphing into a symbiont, grabbing assume supernatural ability: share spells (su), casting girallons blessing on yourself so you have hands as a symbiont for somatic components, and finally applying silent spell metamagic. but lets just keep it simple. ring of spell storing.

emphasis on monsters, not a spellcaster. so divine power is worthless cause the best monsters have full bab already. if you need a monster to think of stuff, the monster is a paeliryon. chosen for its at will meteor swarm, at will polymorph to turn into a horned devil or ember guard for higher strength score, at will mind blank, etc.

spells
bite of the werebear - +16 strength, gives power attack
overland flight - long duration flying. single cast lasts all day so its an awesome spell for not needing to be persisted.
wraithstrike - with power attack and a two handed weapon just astronomical damage.

and thats all i got. nothing else really stood out from my googling of persistent spells.

Darrin
2020-10-27, 08:55 PM
There are several simpler methods to redirect personal spells onto different targets. Notably:

Craft Skull Talisman (Frostburn).
Shallantha's Delicate Disk (Lost Empires of Faerun).
Channel Spell (Duskblade, Ordained Champion, Spellsword).

Also worth a look: The White Elephant (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?600206-Optimization-Showcase-in-the-Playground-The-White-Elephant&p=24195441).

So... once you've got a delivery method... it looks like you want to buff your target. Most of the channel spell hijinks tend to focus on "frogging" your enemies. There are several low-level polymorph spells that turn the target into something much less dangerous: aquatic escape, aspect of the wolf, lesser spider shape, tree shape, winged watcher, etc.