PDA

View Full Version : Is darkvision NEEDED in Icewind Dale Frostmaiden campaign?

Spo
2020-10-28, 05:12 PM
In a couple of weeks I'll be starting a Icewind Dale campaign. Wanting to play a human but concerned about no darkvision.

In my Mad Mage campaign, everyone has it and it has been convenient and I can't imagine making it as far as we have gone (lvl 17), if we could not have sneaked passed/surprised certain foes in darkness. Was wondering if those who have traveled up north feel the same way with Icewind Dale.

Thanks

Wizard_Lizard
2020-10-28, 05:16 PM
Well considering that the light level is always either dim or dark outside... darkvision is good. Remember you can supplement a lack of darkvision with spells,, magic items, torches, etc.

Unoriginal
2020-10-28, 05:46 PM
In a couple of weeks I'll be starting a Icewind Dale campaign. Wanting to play a human but concerned about no darkvision.

In my Mad Mage campaign, everyone has it and it has been convenient and I can't imagine making it as far as we have gone (lvl 17), if we could not have sneaked passed/surprised certain foes in darkness. Was wondering if those who have traveled up north feel the same way with Icewind Dale.

Thanks

It's not needed.

I can't imagine making it as far as we have gone (lvl 17), if we could not have sneaked passed/surprised certain foes in darkness.

Having a light doesn't mean "everyone know where you are and sees you", though.

sithlordnergal
2020-10-28, 07:09 PM
Given that its permanently in Dim Light or Darkness, Darkvision is extremely important. You could get by with torches or the Light spell, but that's a resource of some sort, its easier to just have Darkvision.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-10-29, 03:20 PM
Given that its permanently in Dim Light or Darkness, Darkvision is extremely important. You could get by with torches or the Light spell, but that's a resource of some sort, its easier to just have Darkvision.

Well arguably darkvision is a resource too...

sithlordnergal
2020-10-29, 03:25 PM
Well arguably darkvision is a resource too...

I mean, it kind of is. You do have to use up your race to get Darkvision, but on the flip side almost every race in the PHB has Darkvision. The only ones without it are Humans, Dragonborn, and Halflings, so its less of a resource and more of a "perk" for choosing one of the other races.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-10-29, 03:44 PM
I mean, it kind of is. You do have to use up your race to get Darkvision, but on the flip side almost every race in the PHB has Darkvision. The only ones without it are Humans, Dragonborn, and Halflings, so its less of a resource and more of a "perk" for choosing one of the other races.

Yeah honestly, although you can argue that a race that includes darkvision's other abilities are weaker because balancing... but looking at elves..... darn elves. That probably isn't the case.

sithlordnergal
2020-10-29, 03:51 PM
Yeah honestly, although you can argue that a race that includes darkvision's other abilities are weaker because balancing... but looking at elves..... darn elves. That probably isn't the case.

Yeeeaaah, that really isn't the case. XD You have:

Elves, with their plethora of abilities and subraces, all of whom get Darkvision

Half-Elves, with their amazing ability score bonuses, extra language, extra skills, AND the sleep immunity/charm advantage

Half-Orcs with their deadly crits and ability to keep standing after being hit

Tieflings with fire resistance and three racial spells

...the list really goes on. XD

Wizard_Lizard
2020-10-29, 04:40 PM
Yeeeaaah, that really isn't the case. XD You have:

Elves, with their plethora of abilities and subraces, all of whom get Darkvision

Half-Elves, with their amazing ability score bonuses, extra language, extra skills, AND the sleep immunity/charm advantage

Half-Orcs with their deadly crits and ability to keep standing after being hit

Tieflings with fire resistance and three racial spells

...the list really goes on. XD

But see... dragonborn have breath weapons! That must make up for it!