PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Getting extra eyes in 3.5

Vault756
2020-10-28, 11:25 PM
So this is mainly for RP purposes but I need a way of getting extra eyes in 3.5. I'm playing an Assassin and I'm going for a sort of Spider theme with my character. I can take up to a +3 LA, though I planned on using one of that for Lolth Touched. I asked the DM if I could just have extra eyes and them do nothing but he shot me down so I need to take a feat or a template or something to get them.

Also if you can think of any cool spidery things, whether they're items, feats, or something else entirely, that I should get for my character I'm open to most things. Aside from doing some poison based stuff and picking up a Wand of Web I haven't come up with much tbh.

Biggus
2020-10-29, 12:35 AM
One possibility for the extra eyes is the arachnoid creature template from Underdark. The flavour text mentions extra eyes (and the picture shows them) but the rules text doesn't. Also, for some reason it doesn't have a LA listed, so it's definitely in "ask your DM" territory. It would certainly fit with the spider theme if it was allowed though.

Drow of the Underdark is the place to go for spider-themed stuff, the whole book is full of it.

TheCount
2020-10-29, 12:48 AM
Widomaker expy? Sounds fun.

Extra eyes a a bit hard
Beholder grafts
Robe of eyes
Multi headed template

Spidery stuff is... Yep most of them are Loth related.
Spider form, spell and invocation.
Spider masks
Vermin tamer/child of winter/urban druid for pet spider
Fang of Loth, it's 3.0 PRC and need a umd check on a collar for spiders to get in
Dread fang of Loth, not an update, and more edgy (also worse)
Slippers of spider climbing or whatever
Cloak of arachnid
Polymorph spells

Segev
2020-10-29, 01:45 AM
Probably won’t work if he nixed cosmetics without mechanics, but maybe Alertness and Skill Focus: Spot could be due to having extra eyes rather than “merely” being more observant?

I don’t have Lords of Madness handy, but there’s a chain of aberrant feats. I think one makes your eyes inhuman. Having extra eyes is a way to make them inhuman. Maybe that will work.

Get a slotless skill boost item for Spot or Search or both that is a pair of magic eyes you embed in your face. Again, the cosmetics are fluff, but fitting. A plus one skill item is only 100 gp.

Super expensive, but beholder grafts can give you an eye stalk. Maybe you can get it sans stalk.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-10-29, 01:47 AM
Insectile Creature (Savage Species), which is also really good if you want to do anything with multiple weapons, since you get 4 extra arms. No, I don't know why they called it "Insectile" when most races that use it will end up with 8 limbs like a spider, but hey, that makes it even better for your character. LA +2, but the stat boosts, extra arms, and natural armor are well worth it if your build can make use of them.

I thought I remembered multiple eyes being one of the options for the Unseelie Fey template (Dragon Compendium?), but I'm pretty sure I was mentally combining the chance of insectile wings with the chance of weird eyesight to get that. No reason you can't fluff it that way, but that's true for most templates. By strict RAW, the template is LA +0 (templates that don't mention LA leave it unchanged), but that's pretty cheesy, so ask your DM about a reasonable LA if you want to use it (which you need to do anyway, since otherwise getting the abilities you want would be up to random chance).

EDIT: Oh, if you want to go truly crazy with it, there's always Symbiotic Creature (monstrous spider), or better yet Symbiotic Creature (spider swarm). Sends your mental stats through the floor since the spiders are technically the ones calling the shots, but gives you all the special abilities, defenses, and attacks of the guest creature for just LA +1. Symbiotic Creature is from Savage Species, and for the guest you can use your choice of vermin as long as it's at least two sizes smaller than you; swarms are by far the coolest way of (ab)using this. Or you could find a spider that's two sizes larger than you to keep your own mental stats, but that would end up even weirder mechanically.

Gruftzwerg
2020-10-29, 02:39 AM
1) Easiest Way
Race: Changeling and you are done. Their racial ability lets them change their appearance at will like the Disguise Self spell (except that it is a physical change). Now let your face look like one of a Chitine (humanoid with a spider face) or just go for the spider eyes. Disguise Self sets little limitations on this. You don't need to look like a real existing race, just the same bodytype: humanoid in our chase. So you could easily only change your eyes.

2) Cheesy Eyes
Dip 1 lvl of Warshaper (ideally again as Changeling) to get Morphic Weapons.

The ability gives you access to all kind of Natural Attacks by growing em onto your body. Now look up e.g. Eyeball (FR Beholder) and see that he has "Attacks: Eye Rays +7 ranged touch". This means you can grow em as you like ( and since the ability is so poorly worded you can grow em multiple/unlimited times..).

Note that you can't copy special attacks, but everything listed as regular "Attacks:" which is a long list according to this nice old thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?286497-101-Natural-Weapons). In the chase of the Eye Rays of the Eyeball it means we can use their ability since they are listed as regular "Attacks" even when they are (Ex).

And further note that the ability is a it broken due to its poorly written restrictions. So make sure to check with your DM first. Set some restrictions (like physical restrictions due to place on your body) and go with an gentlemen agreement to not abuse it for things like the Disintegrating Touch of an Umbral Blot (Blackball) (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/umbralBlot.htm).
But if your DM is OK, Morphic Weapons would add greatly to a more abstract assassin themed build.

edit: according to the NW list posted above, you could also grow the Fang of a Harpoon Spider (MM3) for more spider fluff.

Bronk
2020-10-29, 08:23 AM
Two related ideas..

First, you could try being an entomanothrope: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040621a

It's similar to being a lycanthrope, but with vermin, including spiders. It's LA+2, and has a hybrid form which would give you all eight eyes. It also includes the RHD of the vermin, but although there's an upper size limit, there's no lower size limit, so you could pick a spider with fractional HD if you want.

Second, because entomanothropy specifies several times that it's exactly like lycanthropy, you could be able to become a quasilycanthrope: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a

A quasilycanthrope is a descendent of a lycanthrope who is therefore immune to full lycanthropy of their descendant's type, but who was exposed to that type and get a bit of the power. For +1 LA, they have some resemblances to their type of lycanthropy, get some DR, and also get disguise self at will, although whatever you do you end up looking at least slightly like your lycanthrope ancestor. If you DM allows you to include entomanothropy in here, you would have LA to spare.

RaiKirah
2020-10-29, 11:06 AM
I looked into this a while back while playing around with Ocular Spell and Crawling Eye. I no longer remember the names, but there's a couple Binder vestiges who's Signs give you extra eyes is weird places; several Totemist Soulmelds give eyes; the Ocular Adept PrC give you a ring of new eyes. That's all I can recall off the top of my head.

Falontani
2020-10-29, 01:34 PM
Deformity: Eyes feat, magic "item" stormstalk gives you an eye that looks about on its own. Daelkyr halfblood can make one of his own.

ShurikVch
2020-10-29, 01:36 PM
If 3rd-party is allowed, Creature Collection I - Revised have Spider-Eyed Goblin: 2 HD, LA +1, many eyes, and six arms

For a less cheesy option - Far Realm mutation ("Corruption of the Flesh", Dragon #330) have chance to give you completely useless "Blinking eye"