PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for this Dragonfire Adept

13_CBS
2007-11-03, 02:02 PM
Encarus the Unrequited (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=3817)

Well, I've submitted this character for a certain PbP game here on the playground. In case Encarus DOES get accepted, I'd like some tips on how to play him. This is both my first Dragonfire Adept and my first high level character. I'm not sure what the enemies will be as of right now, but the PCs will be a group of rebels under a fledgling Bahamut (although they don't know that their dragon patron is a would-be god yet) fighting against the tyranny of Tiamat.

So far, I think I could end up playing Encarus (should he be accepted) as something between a battlefield controller and a blaster, locking down enemies with Chilling Fog and Slow Breath and then blasting them to pieces. Is there anything else I can squeeze out of this character? Any adjustments, etc? I want Encarus to be a solid mix of optimization and role play (hence why some things aren't fully optimized, or why certain feats/invocations were chosen over more effective ones). Almost all books are available, I think.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 02:11 PM
Why are you wasting a feat on Light Armor Proficiency? You should swap that for something more useful and just UMD a wand of mage armor or something. Frankly, if you start taking hits, you're pretty boned anyway.

I'd also drop Die Hard. It's a neat feat, but the number of times you'll be precisely between 0 and -9 are few and far between. Especially at higher levels, if and when you take damage, it'll be enough to drop you clear through that range.

Instead, I'd recommend taking Draconic Knowledge and Draconic Senses. Hell, take those two, drop your two extra invocations, and take Draconic Heritage (whichever dragon breed you prefer) and...hm, Draconic Wings (from Draconomicon) are a good choice. Having all four would give you a number of bonuses, including +4 to all knowledges, darkvision, low light vision, blindsense 20', resistances to particular elements, a +4 bonus on two specific saves, and flight. Not bad, f'you ask me.

Also, your invocations' saves are based off your Charisma, not your Constitution, so why are you boosting the latter sky-high and forgoing the former?

13_CBS
2007-11-03, 02:17 PM
I took Die Hard since I thought it would fit in with Encarus's theme of extreme fortitude. Voidsense should cover for Draconic senses (I think), and I already have wings. The draconic heritage feat sounds interesting, though...hmm...

Please continue throwing out suggestions. If anything, they'll help me flesh out Encarus.

Edit: Actually, Draconic Heritage would fit in very nicely with Encarus! Thanks for the suggestion. :smallbiggrin: I'm still thinking about the armor proficiency bit, though.

Edit again: What book is Draconic Heritage from? I found a feat called as such in Dragon Magic, but it's for sorcerors.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 02:28 PM
Well, remember this: your invocations are subject to spell failure, so your armor will make you screw up 10% of the time.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 02:30 PM
What book is Draconic Heritage from? I found a feat called as such in Dragon Magic, but it's for sorcerors.

Dragonfire Adepts, due to their first-level Dragonblooded ability, qualify for those feats as if they had a sorceror level equal to their dragonfire adept level.

13_CBS
2007-11-03, 02:36 PM
Dragonfire Adepts, due to their first-level Dragonblooded ability, qualify for those feats as if they had a sorceror level equal to their dragonfire adept level.

Ooooh...didn't know that. Thank you.

Alright then, I think I might toss out the armor and grab a wand of mage armor (or maybe even Greater mage armor...hmm...).

I'm debating between a cloak of charisma and a cloak of displacement, however.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 02:54 PM
Go with the Cloak of Charisma, I'd say.

Powerfamiliar
2007-11-03, 02:59 PM
The dragon spirit cincture from the magic item compendium is a very nice cheap item for adepts. You can also just lower the chain shirt to +1 and make it twilight. Ability focus for the breath weapon or frightful presence could also be useful.

13_CBS
2007-11-03, 02:59 PM
Wouldn't that make me a bit of a glass cannon, though? I'd have powerful offensive abilities (invocations ftw!), but I'd miss out on a 20% miss chance.

Decisions, decisions...

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 03:06 PM
Wouldn't that make me a bit of a glass cannon, though? I'd have powerful offensive abilities (invocations ftw!), but I'd miss out on a 20% miss chance.

Decisions, decisions...

Like I said, if you're taking hits, you're doing it wrong. You've got wings and mobility. Get out of the damn way.

13_CBS
2007-11-03, 03:09 PM
Like I said, if you're taking hits, you're doing it wrong. You've got wings and mobility. Get out of the damn way.

Cloak of Charisma it is, then.

I lack experience, though; wouldn't monsters capable of ranged attacks still be able to hit me, despite my mobility? My breath weapon doesn't really extend that far...

Fax Celestis
2007-11-03, 03:21 PM
Cloak of Charisma it is, then.

I lack experience, though; wouldn't monsters capable of ranged attacks still be able to hit me, despite my mobility? My breath weapon doesn't really extend that far...

You have a 30' cone/60' line breath weapon. If your target is outside 60', chances are it hasn't even seen you yet. As for their own ranged attacks, that is a distinct possibility, but you have your wand of (greater) mage armor for that, as well as your allies.

13_CBS
2007-11-03, 03:33 PM
Alright, I've done much of what you said, plus picked up a few new wands.

Any play tips?

Armads
2007-11-03, 07:18 PM
You should drop Diehard - It has the prereq of Endurance. Also, flyby attack works wonders for you, since you can fly towards them, breathe, then retreat to safety.

13_CBS
2007-11-03, 08:28 PM
You should drop Diehard - It has the prereq of Endurance. Also, flyby attack works wonders for you, since you can fly towards them, breathe, then retreat to safety.

Ugh! I forgot about the prereq. Die hard is out, then.

deadseashoals
2007-11-04, 02:20 AM
Though it would change your backstory, you might consider taking a flight invocation, and taking the breath version of the dragonborn. Then, you'd be able to take Quicken Breath for your dragonborn breath weapon, which would allow you to entangle on a 75' line as a free action once every 1d4+4 rounds for 1d4 rounds.

13_CBS
2007-11-04, 02:29 AM
Unnecessary, I think, as long as the DM lets me use Power Surge from Dragon #313. If I get that, I can start applying metabreath feats like crazy.