PDA

View Full Version : Potato Chips and Salsa - An Unholy Abomination?

Giggling Ghast
2020-10-29, 07:52 PM
So I had some mild salsa left over from the bag of chips I ate yesterday, and not wanting to throw it out, I decided to go to the store to get some more chips. The thing is, they didn't have any Tostitos ... but they did have some Lays Potato Chips.

Is my soul condemned to the Nine Hells for eating potato chips and salsa, or do you think I'll be able to plead down to a less torture-filled afterlife?

enderlord99
2020-10-29, 08:07 PM
Eat what you want. It's fine!

I mean... salsa is close enough to ketchup, right? They're both made of tomatoes, at least.

The Fury
2020-10-29, 08:39 PM
I mean... mediocre food that you have is always going to be better than decent food that you don't. Lays with salsa doesn't sound like it would be very good though.

enderlord99
2020-10-29, 08:48 PM
I mean... mediocre food that you have is always going to be better than decent food that you don't. Lays with salsa doesn't sound like it would be very good though.

Agreed. Kettle and Ruffles with salsa both sound better.

AdmiralCheez
2020-10-30, 06:41 AM
I find Lays chips to be rather flimsy and weak, so I wouldn't put salsa on them for fear of them breaking. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with the flavor combination. I'd still probably use a different chip, but sometimes you have to improvise!

snowblizz
2020-10-30, 08:35 AM
I don't see the problem?

I've eaten taco/tortilla sauce to normal potato chips. Dips are dips. Only your tastebuds matter.

And I bat you can get salsa flavoured potatochips (which I will agree might actually be an abomination depending on brand/tastes, this local manufacturers Taco-flavoured potatochips...*shudders*).

Red Fel
2020-10-30, 09:47 AM
So I had some mild salsa left over from the bag of chips I ate yesterday, and not wanting to throw it out, I decided to go to the store to get some more chips. The thing is, they didn't have any Tostitos ... but they did have some Lays Potato Chips.

Is my soul condemned to the Nine Hells for eating potato chips and salsa, or do you think I'll be able to plead down to a less torture-filled afterlife?

Not for just that reason, but oh my, yes.

Let's set aside the de gustibus non est disputandum arguments. Yes, taste is entirely personal and people like weird things. I know people who find the concept of dipping fries into a milkshake offensive on a philosophical level and grounds for a holy war. I won't get into that.

But I will say this. I enjoy tortilla chips. I'll snack me on some Tostitos any day of the week. But the best chips I ever had with salsa were not Tostitos. They were a brand called Green Mountain Gringo. And do you know what made them so good?

They were bland as anything. Little salt, no lime, no flavors. It was a simple strip of a chip, tasting lightly of corn and nothing else, whose sole purpose was to convey salsa to mouth. And it was perfect for that. There was no distraction, no extraneous textures or flavors. The thickness and shape of the chip held up under the strain of chunky salsa, without muddying the flavor with its own.

Those are the two things I want in a salsa-dipping chip. Texture and blandness. Now, I love potato chips too. But for the greasiness on my hands, I'd snack on those suckers all the time too. But potato chips are designed to have flavors. They're designed to be able to snack on them on their own. Further, potato chips have varying densities and textures - not all of them can withstand the might of a good chunky salsa. As a result, while I have personally played with flavored chips in salsas, I've never really enjoyed them - if I'm having salsa, I want to taste the salsa.

So, long and short version, yes, you are going to the Hells. And on an unrelated point, I disagree with your taste in salsa-dipping.

Giggling Ghast
2020-10-30, 03:18 PM
I should note these were Wavy Lays Potato Chips, so they had the structural integrity to hold a scoop of salsa.

Rynjin
2020-10-30, 05:37 PM
If anything, the main problem wrong with this scenario is you buying Inferior Ruffles in the first place.

Xyril
2020-10-30, 05:53 PM

Honestly, it's more social convention than anything that makes it not work.

That said, I wouldn't use Lays with any dip just because its Original Chips are salted enough that they only work on their own for me. Good kettle chips with minimal flavoring or very lightly salted tortilla chips work well with pretty much any dip.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-11-01, 04:13 PM
Salsa is better than tomato sauce in all ways anyway!

Bartmanhomer
2020-11-01, 04:19 PM
Huh? What wrong with it? :confused:

Shirow
2020-11-02, 11:24 PM
If it's just regular salsa dip, I mean, I guess.

If it's home made crisps and home made salsa or salsa dip, that also sounds great.

Pre-made store-bought salsa dip and home made crisps would be kind of weird for me but if there's not an authentic alternative, I would eat it while drinking beer or something.

As it was also pointed out before, if the crisps are too thin, the salsa is going to destroy them when you dip them.

Alternative: pour the salsa, chilly, peanuts, pieces of fried ham and bacon, nacho cheese, etc. INTO the crisps bag then enjoy your unholy abomination with a spoon.:smallamused:

Bartmanhomer
2020-11-02, 11:28 PM
I just really don't see what's the big deal is. I mean it's just only food for crying out loud. :mad:

Mystic Muse
2020-11-02, 11:40 PM
I just really don't see what's the big deal is. I mean it's just only food for crying out loud. :mad:

There isn't a big deal. You're taking this more seriously than anyone else in this thread.

Bartmanhomer
2020-11-02, 11:44 PM
There isn't a big deal. You're taking this more seriously than anyone else in this thread.

What can I say? I get very melodramatic just about everything in this forum. Like we already have one food discussion in the Random Banter Thread and now this. I got to stop taking everything so seriously when it comes to food. :frown:

zarionofarabel
2020-11-04, 07:12 PM
Hell...definitely hell.

Also, how did you not vomit?

wheelmaker
2020-11-10, 11:20 AM
Eat what you like.
But that is nasty! lol