PDA

View Full Version : Summon Monster what are some Dog / Wolf / Hound like creatures? (PF or 3.5)

Ramza00
2020-10-29, 08:28 PM
Summon Monster what are some Dog / Wolf / Hound like creatures? (PF or 3.5)

Trying to make a list, does anyone have any good boys that they recommend for a summoner who wants to summon animals / magical beasts / outsiders they can pet?

Palanan
2020-10-29, 10:10 PM
Not entirely sure I understand what you're looking for, but if you want alternative canine summons, the hobbe hound (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/hobbe-hound/) might work. Note the part where you can set them on fire.

Ramza00
2020-10-29, 10:24 PM
Not entirely sure I understand what you're looking for, but if you want alternative canine summons, the hobbe hound (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/hobbe-hound/) might work. Note the part where you can set them on fire.

Just trying to create a variety where you are summoner with a theme but at least 1 animal per level with that theme and preferably more.

Like Shadow Mastiff (Think English Bulldog but 160 to 230 lbs) and Cerebri as SM5 options. Hell Hound as a SM 2, Blink Dog as SM3, and so on.

Palanan
2020-10-29, 10:39 PM
Well, if you want to stretch the "hound" aspect, there's always the runehound from MM3. Not sure offhand which Summon Monster level it would be suited for, and as an aberration it might be a little beyond the pale. But I always enjoyed these.

Pathfinder also has the moon dog (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/moon-dog/), which would probably be a mid- to upper-level Summon Monster.

hamishspence
2020-10-30, 02:34 AM
Here, I listed a few (with size, hit dice, CR, and image), and provided a link to a thread with more:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?555847-Canines-and-other-dog-like-creatures

Jazath
2020-10-30, 10:48 AM
Why not create your OWN hounds using templates and the like then giving them new names?
Like, for example, a half-Fire Elemental hellhound you could call a Cinder Hound?

Ramza00
2020-10-30, 03:59 PM
Here, I listed a few (with size, hit dice, CR, and image), and provided a link to a thread with more:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?555847-Canines-and-other-dog-like-creatures
Thank you everyone so far, but especially thank you Hamishspence both now and in the previous year when "they" made that list.

Why not create your OWN hounds using templates and the like then giving them new names?
Like, for example, a half-Fire Elemental hellhound you could call a Cinder Hound?

That is actually the plan but I feel more comfortable basing it around existing monsters before doing things like adding the Young or Dungeonbred Template, adding the Half Elemental templates, two headed and three headed (from 3rd party The Genius Guide to Simple Templates which I think works better than the Savage Species version of the same idea.)

So on and so on.

-----

My goal is to make the list of all the doggies, and then afterwards to "curate" and simplify the list so there is like 2 or 3 options for each Summon Monster 1 to 7 (I do not really care about 8 or 9 that much especially since my summoning is going to be HD-2 and will not have things like augment summoning and other feat taxes to improve the ability.)

The Viscount
2020-10-30, 04:29 PM
Not strictly summons, but I'll throw in Hound of Doom, Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound, and the extremely useful Mordenkainen's Trusted Bloodhound.

Crake
2020-10-30, 04:46 PM
Pathfinder also has the moon dog (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/moon-dog/), which would probably be a mid- to upper-level Summon Monster.

3.5 also has a moon dog in the book of exalted deeds.

Jazath
2020-10-31, 11:26 AM
Thank you everyone so far, but especially thank you Hamishspence both now and in the previous year when "they" made that list.

That is actually the plan but I feel more comfortable basing it around existing monsters before doing things like adding the Young or Dungeonbred Template, adding the Half Elemental templates, two headed and three headed (from 3rd party The Genius Guide to Simple Templates which I think works better than the Savage Species version of the same idea.)

So on and so on.

-----

My goal is to make the list of all the doggies, and then afterwards to "curate" and simplify the list so there is like 2 or 3 options for each Summon Monster 1 to 7 (I do not really care about 8 or 9 that much especially since my summoning is going to be HD-2 and will not have things like augment summoning and other feat taxes to improve the ability.)

I synthesize with you, using existing monsters does feel more comfortable. Any specific reason why you chose dogs?
Also good luck with the simplification process. I wish you well

Ramza00
2020-10-31, 06:46 PM
I synthesize with you, using existing monsters does feel more comfortable. Any specific reason why you chose dogs?
Also good luck with the simplification process. I wish you well

Because Dogs are grand, and we need mutual aid, love, and kindness during this *gestures.*

Puts the rest in a spoiler block for I do not want to overwhelm people with my planned process. Pretty much I am going to have wolve animal companions.

The main tactic of the PC will be giving up actions with gift of time and he will also have 2 animal companions. Both of them will be Wolves. One of them will be a mount, the 2nd will be

Build is going to be
Warlord 1/Inquisitor 4/Battle Templar 2/Zealot 1 followed by 8 more levels of Battle Templar prestige class.
Battle Templar will be progressing the divine abilities of Inquisitor and is a Path of War Maneuver enhancing class
Warlord will be Hussar but DM will allow completely swapped maneuvers.
Zealot will be for Gift of Time and Zealot Maneuver Recovery
2 Animal Companions plus weak summon monsters assist.

Animal Companion 1 will be via Inquisitor with Chivalry Inquisition plus Battle Templar prestige class (which advances class features of Divine Classes such as Inquisitions, Domains, Oracle Stuff etc.) The alternative is the Ravener Hunter going Nature Mystery and getting a Paladin "Bonded" Mount with Int of 6 instead of 2. The downside of this alternative choice is you get a crappier Inquisitor 3rd level feat but I think having a smarter wolf is worth it.

The 2nd animal companion via several feats (Magical Location Skill Knowledge, Feat Eldritch Heritage with Sylvan Bloodline, Boon Companion, note this is of a debatable RAW whether Wildblooded's Mutated Bloodlines work with Eldritch Heritage.) The DM will 99.5% probably allow it since we are already playing 3.5+PF+ Dreamscarred and Lost Spheres. That said he reserves rights to veto Summon Monster choices. Likewise the DM will allow some 3.5 Cleric Spells but not others for the Inquisitor to be backported but he reserves the right to veto things. I am thinking Ebon Eyes for seeing in the Dark plus Conviction for Save Boosting. That said I will be HD-3 with a 6 Spell Level class due to prestige and multiclassing so my spells will always suck, barely better than a paladin.

So yeah I am going to have 2 animal companion mounts, both Intelligent Wolves but not super Intelligent Wolves. They will have an Effective Druid Level of HD-1 thus EDL of 7 at my HD of 8, and wolves HD will be 6 HD at an EDL of 7. (Thus they will have less hitpoints than me.)

Having dogs, wolves, jackals, foxes, etc as the summon monsters you also bring out just seem to work well flavor wise. :smalltongue: Permanent doggies plus supplemental doggies something like 5 times a day at HD 8 (14 base, +4 Item, +2 from HD) those 5 times a day being like a 6th level caster with SM III (eventually up to HD 13 to 16 but definitely not HD 17 to 20.)

Main tactic will be using Gift of Time every 2 rounds to give any ally in my collective extra actions at the expense of my own actions. My wolf mount will be moving me around so I can even give up a Full Round Action and still move due to my wolf mount. Lost Spheres Publishing also has some other feats and veils which I will be using. Such as when I recover maneuvers I give 1 maneuver recovered to any ally in 30 feet if they also have the same teamwork feat as me (Cooperative Recuperation
Teamwork Feat.) Combat Tenacity which is a Combat Feat allows me to use Gift of Time or any other boost plus a counter in the same round for the use of your Swift Action with a boost plus the Combat Tenacity feat also allows you to do a Counter as a free action piggybacking off the earlier swift action. (That said I am not sure if I am going to use Cooperative Recuperation and Combat Tenacity.)

Lastly I will be using the Buraq Akashic Mysteries animal companion template with my 2 wolves and thus now they can use limited akashic veils with their various feats and swapping things out like multiattack and evasion. Also me the rider of the animal companion gains access to any veils and essence my animal companions have via their feats and the buraq template. So for the Veil I am going to pick the veil Mobius Strip. Mobius Strip allows you to repeat an effect for 1 extra round in exchange for a standard action. Thus me or my wolves is going to be replicating Gift of Time in the rounds I do not use it via Zealot Maneuvers and Maneuver Recovery.

Trivia the designer who made DSP's Akashic Mysteries (Michael Sayre) is the same person who is doing Lost Sphere's Publishing Akashic rules.

Part of me is thinking am I making this too complicated? I want more wolves / doggy summon monster options but I do have 1 of each level more or less.

Summon Good Monster Feat already has these options.
SM 1, Celestial Dog
SM 2, Celestial Wolf
SM 3, Blink Dog
SM 3, Foo Dog
SM 4, Hound, Archon
SM 5, Vulpinal Agathion

AP29 has Hellhound (SM2) and Cerebri (SM4.) Note Cerebri is SM5 in the Monster Summoner's Handbook, and most likely if I get Hellhound at SM2 with my DM he would want me to make it 2HD or 3 HD for 4HD at SM2 is probably too high. But maybe he will allow it with no changes.

The DM will definitely allow summon alignment equivalent options for what alignment I pick (I am thinking NG or CG.) Likewise he will allow me to have these dogs without taking the Summon Good Monster Feat if I remove options from the traditional summon monster list.

In some ways this "honestly enough" yet I want to go with a theme so I will eventually make the spreadsheet (did some work yesterday) and figure out which new options I think would make sense adding. :smallsmile: