PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Acquired Templates and Character Creation

Doctor Despair
2020-10-29, 08:40 PM
Simply put: can you apply an acquired template during character creation (before selecting feats)?

I know you can take feats at the same level you meet the prerequisites for them generally, but I'm not sure how it works with acquired templates or character creation. If you want to use an acquired template as a prerequisite for a feat, could you take the feat at level 1, or would you have to wait until level 3?

Kelb_Panthera
2020-10-29, 08:55 PM
There's no hard rule. However, getting the feat before you get the template doesn't make any sense. Unless you get the template as part of the level up, taking the feat at the same time doesn't either. If you need the template to qualify, I would rule you can take the feat at the -next- opportunity after acquiring the template. That is; you can't take it at level 1 and need to acquire the template -before- level 3 if you want to take it then.

That's just how I'd rule it though. Ask your GM.

Morphic tide
2020-10-29, 08:58 PM
Simply put: can you apply an acquired template during character creation (before selecting feats)?

I know you can take feats at the same level you meet the prerequisites for them generally, but I'm not sure how it works with acquired templates or character creation. If you want to use an acquired template as a prerequisite for a feat, could you take the feat at level 1, or would you have to wait until level 3?
This depends on the template in question, as the 1st level is "technically" gained at an indeterminate point in one's lifespan (it's theoretically allowed to have a 1 RHD classless Human, but you swap the RHD for the 1st level; this is likely the "proper" representation of very young children and teenage apprentices to very extensive skillsets), "mechanically" referenced with the Starting Age tables. So if your character's a Wizard, you could have been turned into a Vampire in-backstory at 26 years old and this could still easily take place before you "actually" had your first level of Wizard. But there's very much Acquired Templates with requirements, such as Lich, where you'll need to get familiar with abusive retraining, such as the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle.

Gruftzwerg
2020-10-29, 09:19 PM
Depends on the circumstances.

Technically speaking you can take Accuired Templates (AT) at character creation if all conditions are fulfilled. Meaning some AT have some kind of cost or RP conditions and these things need to be taken care of. Do you have the money and/or the background for it. You need to check these things with your DM.
And if the feat you are selecting at first level depends on the template I would say your resources (for the AT) are still on commoner level since at that point you haven't picked your class.

Imho talk it trough with your DM and see if the AT fits by logic/rules or not.

Rijan_Sai
2020-11-05, 11:55 PM
So, basically, the answer is "Yes, if..." or "Yes, but..." + "Check with your DM".
Unfortunately, there really is no way to get any "better" answer, even if we (the Playground) would like to give you one. :smallsigh: